NFA transfers and the Coronavirus

maxfaxdude

Looking at NFA Tracker just now there are F4s approved that were pending Dec/Jan. Taking 70-80 days now. Is this a fluke or a new normal?

That would be great, if they're getting them done that fast. I mailed my form 4 application on Friday, June 12; it arrived Monday, June 15; and the fee transaction showed up on my credit card account yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Stamp and form on June 6 (D-day). Was a fitting day to pick up my M1 Thompson.

Also got a FOIA package in May so someone is definitely still working.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a January 27, 2020 submission on a suppressor for a Trust customer. It was approved on June 26th. I am waiting for an M16A2 to transfer on a Form 4 to my license. It was filed March 31, 2020. That seems to be a long time for a transfer to a dealer. I also noticed that eForm3s are taking about a week rather than overnight.

From looking at Nfa tracker I assume bulk transfers are now common ? Or there must be lots of lucky guys like got Uzi getting 3-5 month transfers. Everyone I personally know getting stamps are still at 10 months. Yet Nfa tracker doesnt show this. Ive got a few form 4s starting in feb. Im starting to hope for an early stamp Edited by huggytree

Individual transfer and they are not bulking/batching per what I was last week when I asked. Thompson was approved and I ran the Digger number saying they went in a week apart. She said it didnt matter and they werent doing batching on people, just running them as they came up in the pile.

I wonder if it isnt based on the region you live in? A friend of mine had his MP40 tube gun approved in 5 1/2 months and hes in Ohio too

Sounds like Got Uzi’s last post seems to be the most accurate. We have an M60 pending 4/17 to our FFL/SOT on a Form 4.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it takes 5-6 months to be approved at the current rate, regardless of status of the transferee...

No batching. I recently got two back going to two locations 1000 mi apart, one coming from an auction house to my C+R, and the other coming from a dealer (non C+R) direct to me. The non C+R took 51 weeks the other took 5 months. Different examiners. There is another one that's been in 3-4 months at the same dealer as the 51 week transfer and didn't get "batched" unfortunately. I doubt there is much good info at NFA tracker these days since everything seems to be random.

On an unrelated note, it took me 2 months to get a hold of the IRS. For the first 45 days they took no phone calls, then they started taking calls, but the queue was full by 10 am for the day, A week later I got in in 45 min and was told I would have gotten a mailed notice, but it hasn't been sent yet (3 months later), because the "computer" that mails those is "still broken", but she was able to answer the question in less than 60 seconds. .GOV is having serious problems everywhere, I'm sure the same goes for NFA branch.

We have up to 45 days to mail the forms is the excuse they use

I hate that. I worked for a state licensing agency for over 14 years. By law, we had 90 days to issue the license. It took a number of years to weed out the inept managers, but we got to the point where we were approving most licenses in 48 hours. If we had used the 90-day excuse, we would have been looking for new jobs.

Form 1 for a suppressor

Submitted (e-file) June 26
Approved July 20
24 days spanning a holiday

Unfortunately it may take longer to receive than it took to approve

Ooops! Turns out that the .pdf of the approved form that they emailed me is all I'm going to get. There won't be hard copy in the mail.

So that's 24 days from submission of form to receipt of approved form. New ATF speed record?

Edited by StrangeRanger
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pending 3-10

Approved 7-28

Trust

Received 8-10-20

Nfa tracker is accurate. Transfers are at 4.5-5 months right now

I did not get a bulk approval. Ive got 4 other stamps waiting

Edited by huggytree

I just received a January 27, 2020 submission on a suppressor for a Trust customer. It was approved on June 26th. I am waiting for an M16A2 to transfer on a Form 4 to my license. It was filed March 31, 2020. That seems to be a long time for a transfer to a dealer. I also noticed that eForm3s are taking about a week rather than overnight.

Is the Colt M16A1, the same that’s posted on Strumgewehr today? If it’s one in the same. Cool. We’ve been waiting since 4/17 as pending for a Form 4 transfer to our SOT. All was mailed in by the transferor 4/2.

David