Rear stock removal from OO 1918A3

I have a set of reproduction WWI-style M1918 furniture coming and hopefully it will include instructions. In the meantime I would like to know how to remove the buttstock from my 1918A3, but the OO instruction manual does not show how to do it. Can anyone let me know how? I'm real leery about experimenting with this $4000 rifle on my own. That's why I love forums. Others have boldly gone where I fear to tread.

Thanks

You may want to invest the time in downloading a GI manual, it will go a long way in answering many of your questions.

I looked at the FM 23-15 Basic Field Manual for the 1918A2, but it did not go into the removal of the buttstock or operation of the buffer. I'll just wing it with the advice given thus far.

Okay... After watching an animated video on Youtube, I was able to easily remove the A2-style rear stock and scalloped fore-end stock. I'm still weeks away from receiving my new M1918 WW1 style stock set, but I sure hope that they will fit on the OO A3 weapon without modifications. In order to remove the A2-style fore-end from the A3 operating rod, I removed the two machine screws and then had to slide out a long sheetmetal tray that captured the wood onto the operating rod. Is this the same attachment method for the WW1 waffle fore-end?

I'm just trying to get a semi-auto BAR that looks somewhat similar to the ones used by Clyde Barrow. I collect representative firearms used by and against the Barrow gang. This will have to work since I refuse to pay $8500 for the absurdly expensive OO Colt exclusives... and can't afford the $50k for the real deal.

I'm just trying to get a semi-auto BAR that looks somewhat similar to the ones used by Clyde Barrow. I collect representative firearms used by and against the Barrow gang. This will have to work since I refuse to pay $8500 for the absurdly expensive OO Colt exclusives... and can't afford the $50k for the real deal.

Turning an OOW 1918A3 into a more authentic cosmetic representation will require a different barrel and gas system ... I started down that road and it just requires more time and money than I have or want to invest ... What I went for is a look representative of the BAR in the bottom image ... I started with the OOW A3 as pictured in the top image, and my rifle how looks like the middle image ... I will finish the work when I have time, but have 3 rifles to build, an M1 rifle to refurbish, and two bluing jobs.

post-260006-0-61918500-1578275438_thumb.jpg

I'll leave the A3 chamber barrel as is. 99.999% of the folks that will see my Clyde BAR wont know the diff. I show my guns at the annual Bonnie & Clyde Ambush Festival in Gibsland LA. What did you do to get the proper trigger housing no-wings look?

I milled them off in our gunsmith shop that my son and I own

post-260006-0-47005400-1578278352_thumb.jpg

Oldtrooper: your furniture looks more like that on my m1918 Winchester than the bottom picture. The finish on the metal isn’t quite as realistic... patina-wise.