Magazine Question And Good News

I'm a newby in the Tommy arena. I just bought a Savage M1, and the Fm 3 was approved and I should be able to fondle it this week when it arrives at my dealer.

My question is about magazines? I ordered a six pack, and got three different brands. Is there a primer that tells me about them? Are any better than others?

I ordered them from What a Country. Very nice mags, look new, except for one, which is very good, but not new.

Sure can't wait to drool over my new baby. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks for all the good stuff posted on here, I'm pretty good on FAL's and AR's, but really need to learn about the Thompson.

As long as the stick mags work, there is no real difference. If the feed lips are in spec your gun will shoot. Stick mags are the only thing left that can be called "still cheap." You can buy 20 rounders for under $20 and 30 rounders for less than $15. Drums cost between 650 and 6500. Start buying ammo, you can burn around 500 rounds an hour pretty easy. I do it quite well with just one 20 rounder and one 30 rounder. If you dont preload magazines, you can stay on the range longer.

If you get into anything "COLT" the prices go way up on stick mags. Welcome to the board and congrats on your M1.

Jr

CONGRATS V188

MY SAVAGE M1 JUST ARRIVED LAST MONTH AND I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOURS AS MUCH AS I HAVE ALREADY ENJOYED MINE. ALL THE INFORMATION YOU EVER WANTED/NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT THE MILITARY THOMPSONS CAN BE FOUND IN FRANK'S BOOK "AMERICAN THUNDER" http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Just be aware that there is some real junk out there. Some here on the board have gotten good mags from CDNN, the ones that I received were trash, I sent them back. If you have the money just bite the bullet and order some new in the wraper mags from Northridge, they're $30 each but like I said, they're NEW. Congrats on your M1, I'd like a full auto someday but funds are low right now so all I could afford was a used(in very nice shape)27a1 so that's what I've got for now. At least it's a Thompson even if it's not full auto. Talk to ya' later. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

If you get 5 30rd mags from Northridge with the pouch, it drops the price of the mags to about $20 each and mine are NIW. 5 NIW mag+ a non-original pouch for $110.

Carey

I bit on the Northridge deal. Got 5 Seymour and 1 Crosby mags. A few dings on a couple but nothing major. At least 2 were pristine. Were not NIW and I suspect because of the dings they had been re-blued. Best mags I have though.

QUOTE (Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner @ Apr 14 2004, 07:03 PM)
I bit on the Northridge deal. Got 5 Seymour and 1 Crosby mags. A few dings on a couple but nothing major. At least 2 were pristine. Were not NIW and I suspect because of the dings they had been re-blued. Best mags I have though.

Are the 5 pak of mags Northridge sells for the MG (round hole) or have they modded to work in a semi? Thinking about picking some up if their the round hole type.

Mags are round hole Crosby and Seymour. All the ones I got from them are NIW, but I requested NIW. If you do not request this, he will send you loose mags which may have handling scars. The NIW mags come in the original packs of 5 coated in heavy red plastic. This plastic coating was designed to be impervious to a seawater environment. The mags inside are in the same condition as when they were package. When you take them out, they are pristine, but greasy. I picked up a few of these packs to put away as they are perfectly protected and require zero upkeep. Get them before they are gone. Dealers at Knob Creek were buying these packs from Northridge by the arm load, Dennis Todd's merry group for one.

Carey

I think the "send it back to the manufacture" only applies to things you get where the company is still in business. I'm sure the company that made the Thompson Mags has long been out of business. Plus, I just called CDNN and talked to Randall. I guess since I've got a C&R on file with them they don't want to loose any future business with me. I explained to Randall that the mags were not as advertized and he said to send them back and they'd refund my money. That keeps them in "good standing" in my book and I'm sure that I'll order from them in the future(only not Thompson mags,LOL). http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif