Sportsman's Guide Xx Boxs

i've been on a bender lately...

i just received the two xx boxs i ordered from SG. these are imo good condition.

one is a seymour, the other an AO bridgeport. both appear to be in original conditon(having never been refinished) both blued.

the seymour has the side holes soldered in, if i'm correct that was for desert service by the british army?

somebody at some point in time scatched the number "19" lightly on both sides of the AO.

neither has ANY rust at ALL. both having 95% of their blueing, showing only what i would call "normal" wear.

as my '27 is in CO with PK, i don't know if they fit in the rifle, but i can see no reason why they would not.

i loaded both and unloaded by hand and they each need just a fine bit of tuning and even though i'm not a smith, i feel that i should be about to get them running smooth.

i'm very pleased with them.

The soldered-in holes on the Seymour definitely indicate British mags. As far as running on your '27, I don't have the specs on how much you have to shave them to work. As I recall, the mag lips may have to be altered. How much, I don't know. Try a "search" and see what you come up with, or maybe somebody reading this may be able to help.

If PK has your gun now, have him change out the mag catch to a GI catch and you can use the FA mags. Otherwise you will have to "aaagh" modify the hole to work in a semi only gun.PK can do the change very easily.

Ron, no modifications are required to the feed lips to use GI magazines in a 27a gun. Either the mag catch hole in the mag is elongated or the mag catch is altered. Everything else remains to spec.

FWIW

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Sep 25 2003, 06:21 AM)
If PK has your gun now, have him change out the mag catch to a GI catch and you can use the FA mags. Otherwise you will have to "aaagh" modify the hole to work in a semi only gun.PK can do the change very easily.

that's one of the items on the list. i left it up to him, either change to a GI mag release OR alter the original. he also has my other 3 XX's and the 3 XXX's i have.

It sends a shiver up my spine to hear someone say they will covert their mags to work in a semi auto only gun!AAAAAAAGH!I know there is somewhere between a bunch and a shit load of mags out there, but there are fewer original FA mags left because of the evil file & dremel. Have PK change or alter your mag catch to work with FA mags and we can all live happily ever after. Or until we find another thing to bitch at. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif Like this stupid as shit law coming into effect in Indiana October 1st.! See the link for how our politicians are humping us over again!

Link to new "hump the gun owner law!"

We here in Indy do have common sense, but not the pimp we call Don Davis.This guy is as crooked and a bullshit artist as they get. If you see this guy in commercials or around town or God forbid you go to his store to buy something that is 2x the normal price,he looks like a cheap Louisiana pimp with his Mr. T starter kit around his neck and over gold rings on every finger!This knot head has been in the front pages everytime there is a shooting in the state.I would say the reporter wrote the exact word he said. Oh and Don spends most of his time in Florida working on his tan on his wrinkles.I'll see if I can find a picture of this squirrel and post it to show all what a gun shop owner should NOT look like. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.Hey look what I found.Here's Don from Don's Guns

http://www.donsguns.com/images/don.jpg

Phil, so you know the guy 'eh? He use to run commercials here in Indy and his punch line was "I don't want to make any money, I just love to sell guns. Hahahahaha" No really, he would laugh at the end in that smartass kind of laugh. This is the guy we all would laugh at in public if you saw him.

He had 3-4 stores around Indy until a "incident" at one store that ended very tragic. Now he only has the one, but I hear he has a few in Florida.I haven't been able to confirm that but that is the rumors. Oh I almost forgot, he did a commercial about a month or two ago with him pimping a used car lot and he was playing guitar in a band that would make a dog run and hide!I think he gets his hair gel from "Evil Al".

I'll stick going to my little father/son shop where they wait for me to come in with more Thompson stories!

Regarding Don's Guns, I used to stop into the North store in Indy when I was around town; shot a 9mm UZI there in the range. Yes, the Man of the Hour was there that day...yeah, what a prize he is indeed. And the prices on the Cl. III stuff---Sheesh! He wanted $6K for a WH '28 a looooong time ago. Maybe being too near that car lot wore off on him.

I'm curious about the "incident" that you mentioned, full auto 45. I wondered why all but 1 store folded.

Ron:

Mike, (full auto 45) you may have to chime in on some of the details if I screw this up but:

I believe about 3-4 years ago at the Southside store there was something of a robery attempt or the impression thereof and a patron, or maybe the wouldbe burgler was killed by one of the employees. Bottom line, LOTS of bad press, etc. I think that neighborhood opinion forced him to close all but the Lafayette Rd. store. I do have to say that the guys are really nice there. I go there when I just gotta dump and don't want to drive very far or am trying to fix a mag problem, etc. I usually let one of 'em run a stick through and it's really appreciated. I tend to look at the Don's thing as ... if ya got to pay for it, it's where you're gonna have to go.

Irony: The location of the North store where you where shooting ... IS NOW A CAR LOT !!!!

Regards,

C.J.

About 4-5 years ago. In his Southside store, he only had 1 person work the evening shift.Well, 3 bad guys came in and robbed his of several handguns,high caliber rifles and such. Tied the poor guy up and put a round in the back of his head, execution style,the man never put up a fight,never had a chance to. All this cought on tape of course. If I remember right, after several hours, one bad guy was shot dead by police and 2 were caught. 1 was given the needle and 1 was given life w/no parole. I think the 1 has been put down about a year ago. It was a major news deal here and I'm sure they ate it up all over the country about that. If there had 2 or 3 people working the store that night, it most likley would have never been hit. Or they would have shot a couple of bad guys in the process. All in all, very sad. But it is the only time I have heard of a gun store being robbed. Hell how many fast food joints get robbed and somebody popped every day?

Any way, old Don,let's not forget him, out of quilt, or bad press, closed all but 1 store. After all, "I don't want to sell guns, I just want to make money!"

I work near where the northside store used to be, and went shooting at lunch with a

friend a few times. I never had any problem with them, and thought it was a nice store with

helpfull clerks. Don was always eating popcorn.

However, last spring I visited the only remaining store, and I got the impression that it was

catering to the "saturday night special" crowd. Cheap handguns abound. Most disturbing

was a conversation I heard between a clerk and a "customer", which went into how the

"customer" could not buy the gun he wanted but if he did some legal petitioning he could

get his domestic battery conviction removed from his record, then he could buy it. Sorry,

but that went against my grain.

Also, that store was involved in, or the victim of, a gun scam in which persons from Chicago

bought large numbers of cheap guns then sold them to the criminal/gang element in

Chicago. I can't remember, but I believe that the Feds were involved and Don's ended up

working with then in a sting operation.

In 1989 an off duty deputy, on security patrol, was killed in the office park adjacent to

the north store. Speculation was he stumbled upon persons unknown who were preparing

to rob Don's guns.

I also got a letter from the BATF concerning the new Indiana State police decision. From what

it says any purchase of any type of gun will now require a call to the FBI for a background

check. Having had to do this once at a gun show years ago, you can count on them delaying

the check as long as possible to discourage purchases. The state police are really screwing us.

But the guy used to use a Thompson in his old TV ads. (topic save attempt)

Those in the area would do themselves well, to visit the gun store in Cicero.

Cheers,

Kenneth

This is a little off the subject (I think we did get off the original topic anyway), but I recall a few years ago there was a gun store robbery/killing in Minneapolis, with 2 employees being murdered and right at 100 handguns stolen. I remember saying to myself "These guns will be on the South Side (of Chicago) within 48 hours. They were, and all but 3 were recovered in less than 3 days, as I recall. That's too bad about Don's store seeming to cater to the Saturday Night Special bunch. By the way, I too found the staff at the North store to be nice.

I should've bought that .22 PPSh-41 semi auto when I saw it there. How many times have we said something like that?

Ron

Ron, I saw a semi auto ppsh-?? at the show in Louisville today. Even had a drum with it for $650. I even kicked it around, but I'm still holding out for the next Thompson.

I stopped in the North side store a couple of times and it was a nice place. The guy in Cicero is a better dealer and has a good variety of Class III stuff.This topic did get way the hell away from some xxx box mags from sportsmans guide.

Oh,to throw this back on topic,I bought 24 xxx mags today still in the wrappers from a guy in Louisville, paid under $20 for each. Plus I got all his other Thompson goodies. He still had 3 parked xxx mags left, and a new barrel and a couple bolts.

At a Detroit area gun show Friday there was a "grips and clips" dealer with XXs priced at $40 for beaters and $50 for fairly clean but obviously used. Needless to say, at $17.97 each from Sportsmans Guide for random quality, Friday's dealer was a "no sale." Of course, virtually all of the dealers had prices on what I would consider the high side for everything.

No one appeared to have XXX's.