Interesting Thompson Literature on Ebay

Ah, the old backdoor offer trick. Someone messages the seller an offer, and the seller relists the item at that price after giving a heads up to the buyer. It is kind of shady when bids have been put on the item.

IF original, the seller is the loser at that price. There was another piece of paper I was watching that sold for $100BIN. Same situation as it did not have a buy it now price when I started watching.

The type of advanced items that can be seen on display at the annual All Thompson Show and Shoot....

Ron

The incentive of the back door offer is to undercut the possible price the item would reach at auction. The buyer has a sense of what it would go for if the auction played out, but the seller does not. So the buyer sends a generous offer (generous in the eyes of the laymen seller) but is really getting it at a steal.

The incentive of the back door offer is to undercut the possible price the item would reach at auction. The buyer has a sense of what it would go for if the auction played out, but the seller does not. So the buyer sends a generous offer (generous in the eyes of the laymen seller) but is really getting it at a steal.

R67,

Good point. Like all the helmet guys (lid, if you are part of the inner circle on the Helmet forum on the U.S. Militaria Forum) that make back door offers all the time on EBay and then act indignent when the auction is ended early. Then the wiinners cant wait to get on the forum and rationalize how it was okay to make the off-line offer.

I do , however, agree with your succinct analysis of why it is done.

Edited by gijive

IF original, the seller is the loser at that price. There was another piece of paper I was watching that sold for $100BIN. Same situation as it did not have a buy it now price when I started watching.

The type of advanced items that can be seen on display at the annual All Thompson Show and Shoot....

Ron

Yep, I paid a lot more than that for an original 1921 catalog, after a log of haggling, following advice from a couple of board members last month. One piece of advice received was "I would say it should be in today’s market around 1250, but try and find another one!" I took that advice a paid a little more than 1250...

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps