Not a firearms book, but a worthwhile read

I picked up "Last Call -- The Rise and Fall of Prohibition" by Daniel Okrent (paperback, Scribner, 2010). This is a fascinating social and political history of Prohibition, and a very easy "read". Although I haven't gotten to the "crime" section (chapter) yet, I am impressed at the description of the mentality of the "drys" -- proponents of prohibition -- and how their "morality" and social viewpoint are similar to the "prohibitionists" (the anti-gun forces) of today, as well as their political and propaganda efforts. I think that gun owners -- particularly those owning those evil NFA items (LOL!) -- might gain something from reading this book. Incidentally, one of the things that I started to think about (although I never was "allowed" to think about Constitutional issues when working as a lawyer -- too simple-minded) was that the Second Amendment that gun people like to wrap around themselves really should be read with the Ninth Amendment. . .at least for an historical perspective. Kind of interesting, because in the "old days" -- and I'm talking about those within my lifetime -- it was pretty much presumed that government existed only by the consent of the people -- and that individual rights were to be maintained at all costs (to society). Somehow -- to me, at least -- we've turned from being a republic into being a democracy. (Sorry for the political observation!)