Captain Miller’s Thompson upcoming PropStore UK auction

Thought this would be interesting to share.

The Captain Miller Thompson from Steven Spielbergs Saving Private Ryan film will be up for grabs at UKs PropStore auction at the price of what a full auto Tommy will run you.

It appears to have been converted from a real Thompson to fire blanks. Lots of photos available on their website.

https://bit.ly/2kw8uTK

Edited by Renz

When work began on "Band of Brothers", the Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg-produced war series, Colin Hanks chose the exact same weapon as his father for his role as Lieutenant Henry Jones.

That is interesting!

• Upvote 1

I think this would be an excellent question to submit to BATF for an official ruling. I feel certain they would want to inspect the Thompson before making a determination. If the conversion is such that this Thompson cannot be readily converted to fire live ammunition, then a strong case could be made to allow registration as something other than a machine gun, i.e., Short Barrel Rifle (SBR), Any Other Weapon (AOW), Destructive Device, etc.

Before posting, I understand there will be plenty of Class 3 experts that can provide many reasons why a favorable ruling from ATF would not occur. I am not one to make their job easier. I try to be optimistic on hypothetical questions like this. Properly presented, especially with a long game of possibly taking the issue to Federal District Court, may produce unexpected results. And it costs nothing to be optimistic.

Thought this would be interesting to share.

The Captain Miller Thompson from Steven Spielbergs Saving Private Ryan film will be up for grabs at UKs PropStore auction at the price of what a full auto Tommy will run you.

It appears to have been converted from a real Thompson to fire blanks. Lots of photos available on their website.

https://bit.ly/2kw8uTK

Great looking M1A1 with a unique history! Thanks for sharing!

Andrew

Looks like it's a live M1A1 with a barrel restriction installed for firing blanks. It'll be informative to watch the bidding on this one. There are just a few places to where it can be imported and owned in its current configuration. That'll cut down on the number or bidders, unless someone buys it with every intention of destroying its functionality to comply with local requirements.

And the correct answer is......Once a machine gun, always a machine gun.

No such regulation. But folks keep saying it as much as TV shows keep telling folks that all legal guns are 'registered'. Still not true.

There have been several court cases where ATF tried to make that stick. They have been shot down every time.

Bill,

I can't sight any cases. I have only my failing memory to fall back on .

But I do remember a case involving a military M14 with a selector lock.

As I recall the judge told the ATF to either demonstrate the gun could be fired, as it sits, FA or return it to the accused.

Of course a different judge could rule another way.

Jim C

Bill,

I can't sight any cases. I have only my failing memory to fall back on .

But I do remember a case involving a military M14 with a selector lock.

As I recall the judge told the ATF to either demonstrate the gun could be fired, as it sits, FA or return it to the accused.

Of course a different judge could rule another way.

Jim C

A number of owners lost "reweld" MK Specialties semi-automatic M14s when the ATF demonstrated in court that the guns were "readily restorable" to full auto fire. Never mind that it took a skilled expert to do the restoration, and that the receivers used had been considered scrap by the ATF.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/294/896/2569999/

NFA items can not be imported and owned by non dealers. Also, it still a machine gun receiver. There is no case to be made. The dumb rules are the rules.

I think this would be an excellent question to submit to BATF for an official ruling. I feel certain they would want to inspect the Thompson before making a determination. If the conversion is such that this Thompson cannot be readily converted to fire live ammunition, then a strong case could be made to allow registration as something other than a machine gun, i.e., Short Barrel Rifle (SBR), Any Other Weapon (AOW), Destructive Device, etc.

Before posting, I understand there will be plenty of Class 3 experts that can provide many reasons why a favorable ruling from ATF would not occur. I am not one to make their job easier. I try to be optimistic on hypothetical questions like this. Properly presented, especially with a long game of possibly taking the issue to Federal District Court, may produce unexpected results. And it costs nothing to be optimistic.

No such regulation. But folks keep saying it as much as TV shows keep telling folks that all legal guns are 'registered'. Still not true.

There have been several court cases where ATF tried to make that stick. They have been shot down every time.

Once a machine gun, always a machine gun has been ATFs position as long as I can remember. Perhaps you could share the specific ATF court cases youre referring to?

Thanks

1921A

Edited by 1921A

Once a machine gun, always a machine gun has been ATFs position as long as I can remember. Perhaps you could share the specific ATF court cases youre referring to?

Thanks

1921A

I am going to roll with you on this one. I can't remember where I read it in the regs (way back whenever) but that is what I always remember. "Once a machine gun, always a machine gun". Unless someone can cite a court case proving otherwise, that's what I would stick to. Not to mention, the State Department would probably consider it a "non-sporting" firearm.

Edited by firearm