Doug Oefinger

StrangeRanger

...(or someone claiming to be him, you never can be sure on Armslist) has posted a bunch of Class III stuff on Armslist

https://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?relatedto=9609665&location=usa

The prices look legit and some of it is pretty tasty. Might be worth a follow-up

I'd bet it's actually him. No scammer is going to try to be able pull off a six-figure hoax on Winchester BAR S/N 1. A deal that big would require hands-on inspection and some expert input.

Why do I have the song "If I were a rich man" running through my head?

Edited by StrangeRanger

No evident discrepancy in prices advertised and I can’t even download the pics from Armslist to see what condition the guns are in.

DLO requires phone calls to do business and does not do business over the internet, a policy going back years and years. The phone number is correct as is the ID and location of his residence/shop.

I see speculative objections to the ads, but nothing in the ad suggests it is a scam and no one has presented substantiated proof that it is.

Do some research before posting that ads might be or are scams. Without some research your credibility is very low and that is not in the least way helpful.

Like, for instance, call DLO and talk to him!

I certainly meant no disrespect for Doug nor did I mean to question his business practices. I did not verify the number myself simply because I'm not currently in the market for anything. The simple truth is that Armslist is rife with frauds and scammers and I would be very hesitant to re-post anything from that site without adding a caveat.

I too hope that my post (#4) wasn't taken as a shot at DLO. I have no idea what he is or isn't and would never make comments about someone unless I did. My point was that there is no protection even with title ll weapons. Thinking that no one would try a scam with an NFA gun is naive. Caveat Emptor.

Bob D

I have visited him several times and seen and handled some of these items. Bought ammo, parts and NFA from him. last transfer completed 6/17.

Somewhat difficult to deal with, combative and opinionated, but always kept his word. Has a lot of neat stuff. I Would buy from him again.

BPinFL

I remember Doug Offinger or DLO. He built a lot of tube and side plate MG's. We almost did a deal back in to 80's on a Sten. If I recall correctly he lived in New England area? He must have moved to Fl.

I have visited him several times and seen and handled some of these items. Bought ammo, parts and NFA from him. last transfer completed 6/17.

Somewhat difficult to deal with, combative and opinionated, but always kept his word. Has a lot of neat stuff. I Would buy from him again.

BPinFL

Well some of the real old school characters still out in the brush have about zero time for newbie NFA kiddos

While I am not an SOT I get this all the time within other venues

idiots demanding multiple pix of even a damn screw

try that crap with me and I ignore you just like Numrich, SARCO, Northridge, heck anyone else will

frankly I'd rather give it to you for nothing than go through all that crap

you have no clue how maddening it can get.

Doug is seriously old school

He is up in years, has a good pile of goodies and ankle biters on him thinking they can get deals & steals

he isn't a dummy

I suspect he tires of the BS, I certainly do.

January we were set up at a show

Bad weather, at least a quarter of vendors were no shows

So my two favorite tire kickers nag me on guns they had been finger banging for several years

One was a very nice Euro guild Cape gun, .577x16 gauge

Guy figures nows the time...

Well you wanted $1100 for it last time {three years ago} what's the deal today ?

me...$1400

he...you kidding me ?

me...nope

We settled on $1250

yeah I don't tag many things on the tables. I want folks to ask, see it reduces the ability to bicker

otherwise I have to tag price items well above sale

generally when I shoot you a price it's pretty firm

If you keep annoying me like the dude over the Cape I go high on you

Heck, for two years he kept on at me claiming there was a crack in the right side hammer

scumbag initially was attempting to snag it for $600 several years back

Doug gets this crap steady

not just from NFA new guys but from other SOTs too

after awhile you get well...pissed in general

We have one solid old school guy on this board, that's BRMCII

Bubs has been in this stuff now for DECADES & freely shares his knowledge which is extensive

that's pretty damn special

but to understand guys like Doug consider this situation:

so back in the 80s and 90s you bought up beat down Muscle Cars, Filled a rural lot with Mustangs, GTOs, Cudas, what not

So come 2010+ retards start offering you a hundred or two hundred a car

I'm there right now

Snot nosed 30 somethings attempting to "pick" me

Have a bit rusty 390 California special 67' fast back mustang. RARE CAR

Snot nose picker shows up, offers $500

kicked him off the property. He was up to 5K while I herded to his van

No, you start real and don't insult my intellect

Sold that car a few months later for 18K

again very rare model

I am severely abrasive. I will go nasty & vulgar in public if you try gaming me thinking I'm some idiot

wanna know what I detest at shows ?

Young guys with smart phones finger banging them all to hell

Couple months back had multiple tubs with surplus AK mags

$12.00 apiece

that's cheaper than anywhere online

So fingerbanger walks up, tells me I will take them all at three bucks each !

Are you starting to understand why Doug is gruff ?

I certainly do...

Dealt with DLO many years ago in the 80s, I believe it was his wife I spoke to most of the time. Anyway, all my dealings with them were pleasant and the items I received I was extremely pleased with so much that when I went to replace a DLO 1919A4 that I bought new in 1987 I specifically went looking for a DLO. In 2013 I ended up buying a new DLO 1917A1 that Bob N. was selling for a collector.

I bought two, registered Sterling tubes directly from Doug & Linda years ago. I thought they were easy to deal with on both occasions. They were in Arcadia, Fl.

Called him, agreed on details, mailed him a check.

His transfers to my dealer were approved lightning fast.

Way back, he got very combative with BATF over 1985 machine gun ban and apparently “ won” and has some kind of special agreement on approval of transfers.

Lots of Internet history on him, ATF, his “ militia”, etc.

He apparently made a pile of money making transferable tubes and side plates.

• 2 months later...

I spoke to Doug a couple years ago about one of his HK trigger boxes for $17,000. He was "meh" on the phone, but not terrible to deal with. I was only in my 20s back then, and he was still fine to talk to. I ended up finding a Qualified HK sear instead for $16,000, which is what I really wanted, and bought that. Called him up to let him know out of respect that I was going to be getting a sear, and he was short but fine. Not the most amazing person to talk to on the phone, but not the worst LOL. Some people are just retarded towards dealers and I can only imagine what that does to one's personalility over 30 years!! I've been in sales for 16 years now and an FFL/SOT as well for 4, so I get it.