Ithaca 37 Riot / Defense info needed

I am requesting any assistance in determining value on my Ithaca Shotgun, so I'm approaching you riot gun Guru's to help shed some light on this shotgun.

The internet is too spotty and info isn't clear enough on these older guns, they just dont show up enough. Gunbroker only has a few listings and they're all the newer guns currently being manufactured.

I do know the company ownership has changed hands many times and has moved manufacturing location. I also know the current Ithaca company has been manufacturing a new version of the gun sometime after 2000.

This gun appears to be your classic military LE riot gun.

* Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight details as follows;

-Truley Excellent plus condition, no refinished gun, no marks or mares except on mag tube from slide action

-Serial number range puts it manufactured in 1981 (371713XXX)

-20 inch barrel with bead sight, 2 3/4 inch chamber, cylinder bore, marked CYL

-8 shot magazine

-Smooth Walnut stock and corncob type forgrip, no cushion butt pad, just standard black "Ithacagun" inscripted butt plate with "in air" shot pattern above I.

-Dark charcoal gray parkerizing, looks greenish in certain light

-Only markings on the receiver is the serial number on the right side above trigger and .......forward right side of receiver, appears to be an anvil shaped image with a P in the middle struck in steel, same struck image on the barrel just forward of the receiver same side.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance, JB

Any value mentioned here is just a guess by people with no money on the table. List the gun at auction and you'll smoke out a top bid. List it at a high reserve if you don't want to actually sell it.

Well the eight shot variants are quite a bit more uncommon than the standard five shot 37s and generally fetch a premium

Figure a five shot MPDS in excellent condition is a $400+ gun. The advantage to the five shot guns is you can easily find other barrels, not so much for eight shot 37s

What you have is a standard 8 shot MP, Military & Police model. If it had the Deer Slayer rifle sights on an eight shot gun I have seen those break $600

Thing is though most people are hung up on cheapie 870s and Mossbergs these day. Ithica gets very little respect.

I have an old one in what is believed to be an FBI style case. To put it in perspective I paid (in my mind) 600 for the rare case and 200 for the gun. They don't seem to bring much money IMO unless they are older slam fire versions, and even then it's few hundred bucks. I'd auction it and take what you can get and if you see 400 it's a great day. The single advantage to owning one at all would the ability to slam fire and an 80's gun does not have that, and is not vintage either, which puts it in completion with other $400 new shotguns and it rates very low on cool factor as pump shotguns are worker bee's, not glitzy like my SPAS 12.

Two of these 8 shot magazine Ithacas sold on Gunbroker within the past three months. They both had the 37 prefix serial number. One was in excellent condition and made in the early 1980s that sold for just over $1,200. The other sold for $1,099. The Blue Book of Gun Values lists them for a lot less.

Thanks for your advice and candor guys. Ithaca's I believe are truly disregarded or absolutely loved. I picked it up from Doc's in Greenville NC many years ago while harboring an affection for older or classic Military Police type shotguns. It truly is a nice piece and a mean looking capable gun. There are dealers on GB asking 900 plus for the same newer variant with synthetic stocks and with the 3" chamber... however not a single bid since listing. Other than walking around at a gun show or two with it to see what happens, I'm hanging on to it for know. Cheers JB

• 10 months later...

Anyone care to venture a guess as to the value of a 1982 vintage Ithaca 37 Stakeout AOW in 20 ga? I've seen prices all over the map from $450 locally for a 12 ga. to $2195 on-line for a 20. I'm thinking of parting with mine but I cannot find a "market" price.