22 Conversion Kits

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 pstidan

pstidan

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:21 AM

Back in the day, PK configured and fit one of Merle's kits to my WH '28.  Instead of using the plastic Blackdog magazines, Paul set the kit up to use steel Squire Bingham 30 round banana magazines.  This is one of the most reliable .22lr conversions I have.  It runs very clean and I can run 1000 - 1200 rounds before I need to clean anything.  Plus it has a very slow ROF, unlike most other .22lr conversion kits I have ever used.  My WH with the kit installed is a real crowd pleaser.

#42 mnshooter

mnshooter

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1957 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

Back in the day, PK configured and fit one of Merle's kits to my WH '28.  Instead of using the plastic Blackdog magazines, Paul set the kit up to use steel Squire Bingham 30 round banana magazines.  This is one of the most reliable .22lr conversions I have.  It runs very clean and I can run 1000 - 1200 rounds before I need to clean anything.  Plus it has a very slow ROF, unlike most other .22lr conversion kits I have ever used.  My WH with the kit installed is a real crowd pleaser.

Interesting.  Could you post some photos of this arrangement?
Thanks

Merle's kits have always had a lower rate of fire than another apparently now out of business Florida conversation maker.
This is due to the steel plate Merle mounts to the bottom of the bolt, slowing things down to a more Thompson normal rate.

Edited by mnshooter, 05 March 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#43 wwiifirearms

wwiifirearms

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Military Guns(WWII and earlier)<br />National Match Shooting<br />Jeeps (WWII and modern off-road)<br />Boats<br />Cannons<br />Tanks (someday)<br />Flamethrowers(someday)

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I am very curious as to the cost of each component (kit, drum, mags) and if there have been any drum/mag loaders produced. 

I got mine back in early 2010, so I many not be remembering correctly, and prices may have changed. I think the kit was a little under $500, stick mags about $30 each, and drum about $150.

#44 mohawk64

mohawk64

• Regular Group
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

Maybe a dumb question - do the drums fit the M1? Do they slide in from the side or do they fit vertical?

#45 wwiifirearms

wwiifirearms

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Military Guns(WWII and earlier)<br />National Match Shooting<br />Jeeps (WWII and modern off-road)<br />Boats<br />Cannons<br />Tanks (someday)<br />Flamethrowers(someday)

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

Maybe a dumb question - do the drums fit the M1? Do they slide in from the side or do they fit vertical?

They fit the M1. Attach like the stick mag.

#46 pstidan

pstidan

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

I've tried to post photos here many times.  The only thing I've been able to do is lock up my machine.  I guess I'm just too damn old and stupid.

#47 J50shootr

J50shootr

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Flying, machining, Politics.

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:31 PM

Hello all. I know this is an old thread. Is Merle still making these 22 kits? I would like to get one for my M1. Thanks.

#48 ppgcowboy

ppgcowboy

• Board Donor
  • 734 posts
  • Interests:Guns, aviation, didgeridoo, banjo, metal detecting.

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:57 PM

Not sure, called him, he took my contact info and an order, said he will let me know when it is ready, been over a year...??

#49 pstidan

pstidan

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:49 AM

Let's see if I can post some pics of my conversion magazine setup done by PK.
Attached File  SN150715.JPG   158.7K   15 downloads
Attached File  SN150716.JPG   165.43K   14 downloads
Attached File  SN150717.JPG   136.34K   18 downloads
Attached File  SN150718.JPG   103.54K   17 downloads
Attached File  SN150720.JPG   152.09K   12 downloads

Attached Files

#50 Tiz

Tiz

• Regular Group
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

Is Ciener still in business?

#51 MrBill

MrBill

• Board Donor
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Old Motorcycles, Sharpes Rifles , Thompson Machine Guns

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

You have to define business. Ceiner lately has had a table at Knob Creek dressed in his Halloween type uniform but he is impossible to get on the phone or email. Some his stuff requires prepayment and based on his reputation....GOOD LUCK .....Ironically at Knob Creek he has alot of kits and mags that are listed as out of stock on his web site? i brought a 22 kit he made for my AC556 that is junk and after he inspected the parts (one minute) he concluded that i was using the wrong ammo? When i asked what he prefers he said "try a bunch and tell me"   

#52 Loulittle

Loulittle

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

Bought a new Ciener 22LR kit for my AC556. Just now had a chance to install and take it out for a test spin. Ran like a top once I oiled the crap it of it. Will see if I can get a lower powered or replacement spring from him to get subsonic ammo to cycle. The current setup will eject the case but not retract far enough to pick up a fresh round.

#53 Tiz

Tiz

• Regular Group
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:07 AM

You have to define business. Ceiner lately has had a table at Knob Creek dressed in his Halloween type uniform but he is impossible to get on the phone or email. Some his stuff requires prepayment and based on his reputation....GOOD LUCK .....Ironically at Knob Creek he has alot of kits and mags that are listed as out of stock on his web site? i brought a 22 kit he made for my AC556 that is junk and after he inspected the parts (one minute) he concluded that i was using the wrong ammo? When i asked what he prefers he said "try a bunch and tell me"   

He certainly is a "piece of work". Just wondered if he was still around. Anyone decked him at the Creek lately?