Form 4 Transfer Time

Stampcollector

amazing you got the phone call....mine get sent back for silly things they could just do over the phone also....so your lucky and just saved yourself 2 weeks

as for taking 167 days to discover it? odds are it sat in a folder for 166 days untouched

Exactly - they cash the check/process the credit card and it goes into the pile until someone gets to it. She mentioned it should be complete "in a few days."

Customer mailed in his F4 the first week of May, I received the approved transfer today. Just a bit over five months.

From the time I ordered the supressor and delivery to the customer today total time is roughly 6 1/2 months.

A trust makes it easy to transfer guns to your kids. They can avoid the fingerprints and mugshot

I started a new trust after July 16 and wont add my wife until all my items are in there

I assumed after the July 16 stuff was past that the trust approval would accelerate just like the individual has done. Instead it appears its gotten slower. Im curious if this is to discourage people or if its just typical government working the way it does

yes....if i live long enough and if there is interest i can add grand children to the trust..insuring it gets passed on to further generations w/o paperwork

im insuring no finger prints or mug shots for anyone i can get added before i die

you never know where the govt. regulations may land on this...they may say my trust is worthless? or they may some day say no more future transfers..owner dies? hand the gun in......if i can pass them on to my kids (of which 1 or 2 will definitely want) it makes me happy.....

we are 1 mass shooting away with a registered FA from losing our rights on them.....i see it as inevitable

If there are any future regulations they will certainly be on trusts and entities for the sole reasons you've laid out, effectively the lack of what I'd call (and sort of what ATF defines as) a responsible person. In all likelihood your "trustees or members" will eventually be photographed and fingerprinted at some point in the future. The fact NFA registered firearms are effectively never used in crimes all boils down to "responsible people". All crimes are committed by irresponsible people who not only lack general responsibility, but are not attached or accountable for the tools they choose to commit their crimes.

NFA ownership is 100% about someone being solely responsible for the item/s they are titled with and having skin in the game. Passing on things with no responsibility is almost always a problem, be it money in a trust, lottery winnings, and almost anything else that's free and effectively "unearned" in some way, ends poorly.

The entire concept of you adding on unvetted people after the fact is the current Achilles heel of the recent change. As time goes by there will be problems and changes will be made to prevent unvetted people from having access to NFA items.

High machine machinegun prices have had the effect of vetting generally responsible people from those that are not (read suppressor and SBR people). I was told NFA branch received 1600 bounced checks I believe last year alone. These are 1600 irresponsible people that should not own NFA items IMO. I will also bet 99.9% of them did not involve machine gun transfers. Ponder some idiots bouncing a check for a suppressor and in all likelihood they involved a trust. While I'm no fan of a bunch of ATF rules, I believe these people are "ripe" for creating an incident that will limit our freedoms and increase rules in the future and I for one don't want to see them skirting the rules and jeopardizing my current rights and access. I think I could do away with brady bunch checks and go to credit reports and solve most of the problems like most business' have. Responsibility traverses and transcends most aspects of life and generally shows up as a pattern.

Including your kids sounds great, but as a parent in a rather affluent area, all I will say is that I've seen really bad things happen to great kids with excellent parents and it's somewhat unpredictable. My hobby is my hobby, these things don't generally pass down generations.

The sole fact that NFA items are effectively "titled", to me, means that they may indeed be the last to go vs. the first. I don't recall the gov. "taking" anything without some form of compensation, especially in the case of something specifically spelled out in the constitution of which over 300 million exist. If you follow regulations in other countries you'll see how this has been done systematically. As far as I know there are still firearms owners in every country, but in harshest countries only the well connected have them due to regulations tailored to them.

Edited by johnsonlmg41
  • Upvote 1

Hey there's a new triangle finally on the NFA Tracker trust.......368 days i believe......i think it has gone 3+ weeks w/o 1 new triangle.......i was starting to think they dont update their charts or the NFA stopper trust approval.....

M2 carbine, form 4 Trust, October 18, 2016. Approved October 19, 2017. One year!!

M1 Bridgeport TSMG, form 4 C&R, May 10, 2017. Approved October 13, 2017. 5 Months !!!

The time for processing a Form 4 transfer is turning me off of purchasing any more NFA items. Been over twenty years since my last purchase. 100% up front payment and I am accepting all the risk for a $10K-$20K-$30K-or greater MG. Not a game I am willing to play in anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
My last Form 4 which was an individual to dealer transfer was mailed to ATF on August 15, 2017 and approved on September 30, 2017. Of course, I am still waiting for a Form 4 that was mailed to ATF on August 21, 2017 going from individual to dealer so there appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Stampcollector...individual F4? Nothing unusual? Have you checked on your paperwork maybe there is hold up for some reason.

I called NFA about 4 different times, the last 2 times was in the last three weeks. They claim it's still pending with no problems!

It is on a (Individual, Form 4)

Will call them later today. It should be any day now....

Edited by Stampcollector

Just wanted to give this info out:

I mailed Form 4 out 10 months ago today for machine gun.

Mailed out 11/8/16

Maybe 2 months too go?

Well, I started this thread with this statement and now!

Still waiting...It's been a year and 6 days. (371) total days :angry2:

looks like its at around 11 months on trusts....hopefully going down still......sad to hear 371 days...someone doesnt like you

Called toda

Stampcollector...individual F4? Nothing unusual? Have you checked on your paperwork maybe there is hold up for some reason.

I called NFA about 4 different times, the last 2 times was in the last three weeks. They claim it's still pending with no problems!

It is on a (Individual, Form 4)

Will call them later today. It should be any day now....

Called NFA today and they said they are waiting on the my background check. I always get delayed when waiting to buy a gun in a gun shop anywhere between 20min to 2hrs. When I applied for a multi hand gun purchase permit several years ago (when VA had a one gun per month law) State police told me their is a fugitive with my last name and that flags me every time. Haven't herd anything from NFA the whole 12 months.

Stampcollector... Hopefully, they get you approved quickly. That seems out of the norm for a Form 4 individual.

I received word from my dealer today.

Thunder Beast suppressor Form 4 Trust, Mailed December 15, 2016, stamp received by the dealer today. 11 months.