New Addition to the Collection

Bought a M1 Garand 2 1/2 weeks ago...a 1954 HRA CMP Collector grade- packed in grease....took me 2 1/2 weeks to clean it up...now i have pretty much a brand new rifle to enjoy. Plan to shoot it next week sometime....something ive wanted for many years and should have bought when they were $250 back when i was in my 20's

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/100_1215_zpszmd2hyhe.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/100_1214_zps6xwuuvrd.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/100_1204_zpsxezlnn2p.jpg

for sale by owner on the cmp forum(probably 1/2 or less than the CMP auctions--they are just nuts on their auctions!!!!!)....its a 2006 Greek return and who ever bought it just left it as is from the CMP...got the CMP paperwork and case with it....crazy how much grease was in it...internals are 100% brand new/flawless....a shame to shoot, but i will....its been a father/son project cleaning it up......had it in parts spread out on a table.....took it down to every single part....a true learning experience

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/100_1207_zpsqzs3mqfp.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/100_1208_zps0napu0u8.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/100_1211_zpsyh1gybdb.jpg

Edited by huggytree

Very nice! I love Garand! I have one from late '42. Not 100% original since the barrel is a '47 and the stock is new. But a great shooter. One of these days I'll take it to one of the matches here in NJ. I also have another receiver from (I think) early '42 that I haven't done anything with yet.

They are a fantastic piece and a lot of fun.

Andrew

a friend bought one back then for around that price....also an Enfield...he had a nice WW2 collection going at age 21...i was stupid not to have grabbed both back then...but i dont think minty M1's showed up until 2006 with the Greek batch.....they still sell Collector grade...not sure what they look like...but i doubt they came in grease like the Greek ones did.......curious to see what the new batches will look like if they ever show up from S Korea....and what the price will be....

Must have been nice! I paid about $1600 2 years ago for my Springfield. I know you can usually get a H&R for a bit cheaper on GB. I plan on getting an Enfield one of these years. I try to add to my collection every chance I can. Lol

Andrew

i paid $2,000 shipped w/ the case

thought it was a fair/correct price for what it is

im looking for a 1954 marked sling...if anyone knows a source...looking forward to shooting it...i hear 8 clicks up with the rear sight to get on paper? going to start at 50 yards and get it zero'd in....

the PTO is still coming out a bit, so i need to let it harden up....so giving it a week or 2 before i hit the range....a cool basement is not a good place for it to dry quickly

I actually have my Springfield set about none click past the 1 mark - for 100 yards and it's good elevation wise. The markings for the continued yardage out to 200 so far is right on. The hardest part about sighting in is zeroing windage and adjusting the front sight left or right to get your windage.

I use S&B ammo and it's great!

Andrew

My HRA came from Rock Island Depot in 1984 through DCM, total cost - $96. It was and still is basically a new rifle, I have not shot since receiving it.

i was age 13/14 in 1984....Damn my Father for not starting my collection!!!!....he could have gotten me a Mac 10 for $250 while he was at it!

amazing how prices change!!......no one probably wanted that M1 in 1984....now there are people with a dozen+ of them

Edited by huggytree

My HRA came from Rock Island Depot in 1984 through DCM, total cost - $96. It was and still is basically a new rifle, I have not shot since receiving it.

i was age 13/14 in 1984....Damn my Father for not starting my collection!!!!....he could have gotten me a Mac 10 for $250 while he was at it!

amazing how prices change!!......no one probably wanted that M1 in 1984....now there are people with a dozen+ of them

No, people wanted Garands badly at that time but very few were available until DCM started their program of public sales. At the time you could only buy one and had to jump through several more hoops than you do now to buy one. One of the requirements was to mail in with your paperwork proof of having fired in a sanctioned high power rifle match.

Garands outside of DCM were fetching prices in the early 80s of $900 to $1000.

I got one through the DCM at about the same time - April 1983. I also had to show proof of firing in a high power rifle match. (I shot a 1903A3, which I still have.) I kept the paperwork, but the box is long gone. Mine shows a slightly higher cost: $94.30 for the rifle (Standard), $11.90 Administrative Charge, and $15.76 Shipping. Total cost - $121.96.

• 3 weeks later...

How about a couple of steel AR15 drop-in auto sears at $70 bucks a pop. I was seriously consider one back in the day. Now worth... what... $30K each ???

All I lack is a time machine ;)