Found Tsmg's

Guys,

While at a training event at the Ellis Unit of the Texas Prison System, one of the firearms instructors mentioned that they had some Thompsons in storage. Well, as an owner and incurable barrel sucker, I asked to look them over. This is what I saw...

- Colt '21 s/n 2894

- Colt '21 s/n 2785

- Colt '21/28 overstamp s/n 8252

- Savage '28 w/ Brit proofs s/n S-137972

- Savage '28 w/ Brit proofs s/n S-209699

- Savage '28A1 s/n S-187910

- Savage '28 s/n S230105

- Savage '28A1 w/ Brit proofs s/n S-273818

All guns were very used with a brown patina. All had Cutts, Lyman adj. sites, and vertical foregrips. They also had 2 L drums and many XX mags, including a shot mag, that were well used. I was not, due to time constraints, able to break them down for a more indepth study of the parts and no pics were taken. I plan on making another visit for a closer exam and will post my findings here.

Tman: WOW, I can only imagine how exciting it must have been to see those Thompsons. Did any of the Thompson have "Tommy Gun" roll stamped on the top of the receiver just in front of the rear sight? I suspect the 28 S-137972 will have it and I am interested if any of the other 28's or 28A-1's do. I've always wondered if that mark was only put on british 28A-1's of if it also appears on non-british proofed guns. Also look for "U.S. Property" on the top of the receiver behind the sight. Is the 28A-1 S-187910 roll stamped "U.S. model !928 A-1" or are the "U.S." and "A-1" hand stamped before and after the roll stamped "model of 1928"? What type of rear sights do they have.

The biggest question is are they willing and able to sale them? If so, let me know. I kinda go for the police or prison guns. Ok I lied, I'll go for any Thompson. Pictures will be great also.

Gordon Herigstad will be interested in those Colt serial numbers since those TSMG's have been missing in action for the last 80 years. This may also be a factor in whether these guns, originally sold to the prison and remained there ever since, were ever registered after 1934, or before the 1968 amnesty period. This would prevent their being sold to private individuals today, if the officials ever considered parting with them.

Our city has a Colt 21. It's been years since I've seen and handled it. They had 2 but one disappeared and it's whereabouts are unknown. When it came time to register it with the Feds. they never did. Now they just keep it tucked away in the vault an take it out every now and then to look at it.

The only part that isn't original is the bolt someone swapped it out for a Savage.

My guess is these guns are being held on a form 10 and are not transferable except to a museum. If not Nick Tillota the thompson guy from Texas would already own these guns. I seem to recall him telling me about these guns once. At least we know where they are and they have not been destroyed. My idea of buried treasure.