Looking for a 1928 Savage

Hi all. I am a long time viewer, but recent member of the board. I have a few NFA items but now am looking for what will probably be my first and onlly Thompson. Not any particular hurry (how can you be in the NFA/BATF wait times) but would like to find a solid early Savage 1928 or Colt overstamp. One of the early Savage British guns (pre lend lease) would be perfect. Nothing pristine because I wouldnt want to have something I would feel bad shooting (and let my teenage sons) shoot.

Really amazing amount of knowledge here and it has truly been a great experience learning from all of you. Thanks to all.

Will

There's a really nice Savage M1928A1 listed on Subguns.com right now. It's not an early pre lend lease gun but you might wanna check it out. The seller is Franks Guns/ Midwest Tactical. I've purchased from them before and it's always been a positive experience. Todd in Oregon

Welcome to the board!

FWIW, Western Firearms (the owner is a member here - board name 'firearm') has two early Savage Model 1928 Thompsons for sale. Sit down at your computer station. At the linked page, Scroll down past the Colt Thompsons:

https://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/thompson?sz=800x600

Best of luck with your quest!

ETA: After I posted the above, I noticed that there is also a movie gun Savage 1928A1 mixed in with the Colt Thompsons.

Edited by Merry Ploughboy

If you are patient and you have checked out the asking prices on the above post (four Colt Navies 49K and three at $47K....Morphys Auction in Denver Pa. will have a very nice correct Colt Navy in there Oct 29 sale,accessories include a old repro police case,numbered L drum and three patent date stick mags.

are you looking for a Savage commercial or a later WW2 1928a1 ?

you may be looking for 12+ months if your wanting a S1928 commercial...the early ones dont come up often and last one i saw was $30k +

there was one on GB for $40k for the past 12 months....probably still there

Yes, I saw the Western Firearms and they are a little out of my price range. Happy to wait and certainly will check out the one in the October auction. Doesnt seem like the catalog is even out yet.

A early/ commercial Savage would be great and can be patient.

Again, appreciate all the help here in the search.

Atllaw, you have definitely stopped at the right place I bought one a few years back, and these guys have helped me immensely. I lucked out an a found a decent early savage when I really didn't know one from another. But I can guarantee if I had known this group of guys were here I would have had their stamp of approval before dropping large bills on a purchase. Good luck. And I can tell you this... Don't come back saying you bought one without pictures. LOL. These guys love pictures.

Good ones come up for sale before hitting the internet too. Sometimes you gotta leave the computer chair in this market.

Keep us posted on what you find or have questions about. Theres lots of nuances and more info uncovered all the time.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone ask the seller how he knows this early Savage Thompson was manufactured using a Colt's receiver manufactured in 1921/1922? While this is an early Savage Thompson, it is not that early of a production Savage Thompson (over 15,000 guns into production).

I would suggest any prospective sellers obtain all the past available ATF forms on this Savage. The current seller knows where he obtained it and can probably find out where the seller obtained it with a telephone call (and secure a copy of that form). This Savage has some historical promise but beware of the sellers puffing. Do not buy the story!

Could someone ask the seller how he knows this early Savage Thompson was manufactured using a Colt's receiver manufactured in 1921/1922? While this is an early Savage Thompson, it is not that early of a production Savage Thompson (over 15,000 guns into production).

I would suggest any prospective sellers obtain all the past available ATF forms on this Savage. The current seller knows where he obtained it and can probably find out where the seller obtained it with a telephone call (and secure a copy of that form). This Savage has some historical promise but beware of the sellers puffing. Do not buy the story!

if he says this is a Early Savage is made from Colt parts, we should assume all the ones before 31k were made from Colt parts....probably they reconditioned and used them yes, however i think the seller is not educated on

the matter and is just guessing becauseof the earlier stamps / features... i still think its a great great looking gun

Edited by indochinavet

Seller says that the barrel has an "R" mark on it. Haven't seen a picture yet. Are there R marked barrels which would have been original to the gun? Also, the buttstock seems a lot lighter than the rest of the wood. Is that concerning to anyone? He confirmed that it is all Savage parts on the internals.

it looks to me there could be an anchor on that buttstock too, if you see the pictures you can spot something like a mark there. I would ask anyway more photos of it.

compensator its correct being a type 2 (no bullet logo) grip is definitely a pretty nice sample of Savage

P.s

this one bought by "Harris" is definitely a more desirable being an earlier one,it also ended up 2k+..

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/53085-1-402/

Edited by indochinavet

An "R" marked barrel. Yes, please post a picture of that.

Over 15,000 unmarked Colt's receivers reconditioned by Savage Arms and sold by Auto-Ordnance? Really. This seller knows (or should know) there are differences in the markings of late Colt's and early Savage receivers. Again, ask for documentation but buy the gun, not the story.

An "R" marked barrel. Yes, please post a picture of that.

Over 15,000 unmarked Colt's receivers reconditioned by Savage Arms and sold by Auto-Ordnance? Really. This seller knows (or should know) there are differences in the markings of late Colt's and early Savage receivers. Again, ask for documentation but buy the gun, not the story.

Me i was just trolling! i dont think Colt ever made double the receivers they needed for their contract..maybe Savage just have used a few internal spare parts on the first ones.. even a Colt buttstock wouldn t be correct at all for that gun

considering its its "early" but not so early status... surely increases its value, sell the buttstock buy a proper one saves 2k :D

Will do once I receive it. Would the swing swivel in the buttstock be appropriate for this gun?

Atllaw,

As Indochinavet pointed out, yes the early Savage guns had buttstock swivels with the Springfield 03 Rifle type milled sling swivel. It would be correct for that gun. The color of the wood is not an issue, quite often the front and rear pistol grips are somewhat darker with age and handling.