Installing the lighter springs on a 1927 SA pistol.

First thing I did when my new pistol arrived was to order the lighter recoil springs from McMaster-Carr. Also, the buffer material.

Lord, is that buffer polyurethane tough stuff. Not hard, just tough. Has anyone found a good technique for cutting it? Another thing that makes it hard to accurately cut is the fact that it will not accept any ink marks to let you know where to cut! Masking tape won't even stick to it.

I got a piece cut, but it ain't pretty.

Rich

9637K65 pack of 5 ea $12.86

8789K32 polyeurethane sheet 6"x6"x3/16" Dur 60A $15.61

I ordered three sets of 5 ea. in varying strengths, planning on trying different ones I cut them the same length as the originals. I also bought two different firing pin springs just in case. As much as that gun cost, I figured a few bucks to tune it up is a small investment to get it "Just Right".

A good woodworking cutting tool/knife with small insert blades worked for me in cutting the buffer material....

I tried a utility knife (new blade) and a snap-off blade. They worked, but not well. I tried a leather punch (pliers type) for the rod holes, but it wouldn't even touch the Poly. Ended up using a hammer-driven gasket punch that was a little big, but again did the job. Just not the quality I'd like. I have lots of extra material to play with later, if I like. I'd offer it to someone, but: A. I might use it. B. The postage and my time (I don't get out much any more) aren't worth it. Besides, I'd have to cut another piece of it. Unless I can figure out how to make a nice, clean, straight cut, I'd be embarrassed!

It's a shame the Factory doesn't address this issue with the Springs.

If DIY-ers and Gunsmiths can do it, the Factory should get on the Ball.

I'm glad of three big improvements that Kahr has done over the old Numrich Management, The Detachable Buttstock, The 14.5 Barrel with Weld Cutts to shorten the ugly long Barrel look.....and taking the time to properly shape the the Vertical Forgrip, years ago it look like a flat 2x4 with finger grooves.

These 3 things are things I did own my own for my 1927a Semi,.. Buttstock kits, Green Mountain Barrel, and lots of sanding on a Vertical Forgrip. Now you can buy it Factory.

Edited by jojeep