Price seems high for a Bridgeport Tommy.

I strongly suspect that the previous owner had something to do with the price.

The most significant factor is probably three different active bidders. A situation similar to the horrendously overpriced Colt several years ago in Tuscarawas County. If there is more than one person who really wants something, prices can get crazy.

Yes, pricey and no doubt bid up for reasons none of us will ever understand.
I watched the war on GB, some weeks ago, between two bidders for the Kreigsmarine marked, original MG34 with mismatched lower and other anomalies. Bidding had stalled around $28K or thereabouts until the 15 minute rule tripped a duel that lasted for an hour and half of bidding and 15 minute resets taking the price to a bit over $40k. Then a new bidder stepped in close to the end of the 15 minute period as it ticked away, and he won the contest with an unchallenged bid of $40,125 if I recall correctly.

There was some administrative interference when the third bidder posted his first winning bid. After a few minutes his bid was removed and the previous high bid reinstated with no explanation. Then, a few minutes later, the third bidders winning bid

reappeared! The bidding resumed but didn't last due to the other two bidders conceding. Lots of fun for the peanut gallery!

Yes, pricey and no doubt bid up for reasons none of us will ever understand.

I watched the war on GB, some weeks ago, between two bidders for the Kreigsmarine marked, original MG34 with mismatched lower and other anomalies. Bidding had stalled around $28K or thereabouts until the 15 minute rule tripped a duel that lasted for an hour and half of bidding and 15 minute resets taking the price to a bit over $40k. Then a new bidder stepped in close to the end of the 15 minute period as it ticked away, and he won the contest with an unchallenged bid of $40,125 if I recall correctly.

There was some administrative interference when the third bidder posted his first winning bid. After a few minutes his bid was removed and the previous high bid reinstated with no explanation. Then, a few minutes later, the third bidders winning bid

reappeared! The bidding resumed but didn't last due to the other two bidders conceding. Lots of fun for the peanut gallery!

I saw that too!

It was the same seller on both of those guns. If you take a look, all of his stuff starts at a penny and it all goes for what I believe is above market. I spoke to him about the MG34 before he bought it. In fact, I was the one who pointed out the Kriegsmarine marking (which I confirmed with Folke). Some sellers seem to have the touch or perhaps the luck. Who knows. I have bought guns from him before, and he is a straight up guy and easy to deal with. I still think both of those guns went for 10k over market. By the way, I am pretty sure he takes things on consignment if you want to try to get some of his magic touch applied to something you want to sell.

Dan

The Ken Hackathorn Forgotten Weapons Thompson and the MP5 video has quite a few Thompson stories from Ken and not all of them are positive. Ken does state that it is an iconic firearm and has some positive comment regarding Thompsons as a collector firearm.

He does say he bent the front sight on his Thompson to try to get it to shoot closer to point of aim.

Someone who’s got plenty of money and doesn’t care about getting a bargain. I hope when the time comes to sell my collection that I can find such a buyer. Just because it was shown on Forgotten Weapons should not mean didly squat as far as making it more valuable.

Just my own $.02

Link to the Nordsee MG34 mentioned above:

.FULLY-TRANSFERABLE / C&R Kriegsmarine German MG34 MG-34 8mm FORM 3 - Machine Guns at GunBroker.com : 888907187

The reason the ejection-port door doesn't stay closed is that the little door-coil-spring in the grip is missing.

If one of you guys bought this for $40,000, let me know. I probably have a spare spring.

Please note that the "Winning bidder" was a (NR) no-record buyer. This was his first GB purchase...Phil

pix415621013.jpg

pix745930473.jpg

Edited by anjong-ni

Not much of a mystery here. It's an early Mauser coded gun which is pretty rare. The gun is in relatively good condition as well. The marking added a few bucks for some, but the main reason was the gun itself. Too bad the grip frame was not matching, but I don't recall the last time I saw a mauser in that condition with that many matching parts, so you may wait a decade for one to show up? Many of us don't have a decade to wait and gamble on what the price might be then? And the loss of a decade of ownership? How do you put a price on that?

The Thompson's are a dime a dozen, that I do not understand other than it's convenient and the seller seems to be solid so there can be value in all that. The most common story I hear in MG discussions is guys procrastinating themselves out of the market. The first guy I bought a MG from pretty much told me that I would need the ability to make decisions quickly if I wanted to get into the MG game because they tend to sell fast when the price is right. He gave me an hour to call him back on my first gun an M14. I called back in a half hour and he told me he was glad I did because he had two other guys that had called in the meantime and wanted it, but he wanted to get me into it because I was local. $3650 and 21 years later I still have it and have enjoyed it and it's become one of 3 or 4 transferable Troy/ Rock sopmod M14's in the registry.

RE: Naval MG34 GB auction

Why would an "NR" bidder have his bid cancelled?
The third bidder showed up as the bids went over $40k for the MG34. His first bid, which took the lead, was cancelled. No explanation, only speculation for the reason. There is no requirement on GB that a person have a "record" in order to bid is there? If so, for what purpose, and where is it spelled out?

His bid was reinstated, which was absolutely the correct decision by the administrators, and then he won. Where's the problem?

Edited by BRMCII

I Have noticed on GB that some sellers will have in their listing that no "NR" bidders are not allowed to bid. The seller most have forgotten to put this in his listing. This is probably why they overturned sellers decision.

Frank

Link to the Nordsee MG34 mentioned above:

.FULLY-TRANSFERABLE / C&R Kriegsmarine German MG34 MG-34 8mm FORM 3 - Machine Guns at GunBroker.com : 888907187

The reason the ejection-port door doesn't stay closed is that the little door-coil-spring in the grip is missing.

If one of you guys bought this for $40,000, let me know. I probably have a spare spring.

Please note that the "Winning bidder" was a (NR) no-record buyer. This was his first GB purchase...Phil

pix415621013.jpg

pix745930473.jpg

I am just trying to learn a little, the N NR. 1083 letter and numbers have rounded ends like pantograph applied letter and numbers. I am assuming that Germany did not roll stamp numbers and letters?

The winner auction buyer already has positive feedback from the seller.

It's strange that the NR got removed.. GB isn't known to fast to respond to things whether to remove or reinstate a person on a auction.

I'm wondering if Sierra accidently blacklisted them and then reinstated him.

BTW What's up with the door-coil-spring in the grip breaking? I bet this MG34 has a broken spring because mine broke..though even when the spring was there it wouldn't allow me to latch the door closed. I bought a new one and will later deal with the pain of installing it.

Edited by Ryo
  • Upvote 1