Found Something Interesting On My M1

As some of you may have noticed, way back when I first had it in transfer,

it had a Cutts mounted on it (had posted a pic way back then) .

Well, this indicated to me a rebarrel - possibly at the arsenal (MR stamped on butt).

I don't know much about this comp but it has a set screw on the bottom. Threads on the smooth 28 barrel (that it was rebarreled with at some time) and then tighten the set screw.

I thought an M1 should look totally like an M1 so I remove the Cutts. Low and behold underneath it is a cut in the topside of the threads for a pin to hold either the ring sight or an earlier type compensator. Digging through my spare parts sets I grab two ring sights to test fit.

Now here is what I thought was weird.

The cut in the threads was not a straight perpendicular cut but somewhat angled. So were the pin holes through both ring sights!

I take a brass drift and tap on the ring sight and it was a good fit. Pin hole lines up great. Sights are centered and after test firing I see that they are dead on at 100yds. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Lucky me huh?

Anyway kind of nice to be able to use either the compensator or have the look of the shorter M1.

Now if and when the AWB dies I may look into a cheap drum to convert to the M1 latch - after reading that post. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

MR stands for "Mount Ranier", one of the arsenal rebuild facilities (I hope I spelled that right). My M1 butt has that stamp too. The rebarrels are an interesting lot, and yours is even more so. I'm glad you got "the best of both worlds" there, Tex...at least in the Thompson/Cutts regard! There sure are lots of variations out there. Thanks for posting your findings and results.

QUOTE (SecondAmend @ Jul 16 2004, 06:46 AM)
Yeah, you can put the Cutts back on and enjoy the time spent cleaning it after shooting (see other thread)!

Rock an' Roll!

Yep, from what I've already put through it it needs a cleaning. That has got to be some of the toughest stuff there is.

When it eventually gets refinished one day, it'll get a rebarrel with an NOS M1 barrel and then I won't be swaping anymore!

I have noticed a slight difference also in rise not using the Cutts. That is why I put it back on for the time being. And it does look cool. It is probably some sort of aftermarket piece, but it is well built - threading on and set screwed in place.

Shooting the old GI ball ammo makes a nice smoke plume out the top.http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Phil, how is yours set up for a quick change barrel? Is it a permanent modification?