The Gallant Men

The Gallant Men

Evidently it is showing on the GoodLife Network.

Cudos for the Tony Kornheiser radio show which mentioned that Combat was showing on this network. Checking

that out I came upon this show. I remember Combat from my childhood, actually it's showing on TBS in the late 70's,

but I have never heard of "The Gallant Men".

Was this show any good? Anyone remember it?

Note the reoccuring role of "Private Saunders". http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Yep, watched it. One of my favorite shows along with Combat, Sky King, Rip Cord, Superman and when I could catch it Commando Cody "Sky Marshal of the Universe" and the Three Stooges.

remember it watched it,but don't have it on tape.......i am happy to have the twelve episodes they issued years ago on "combat"

and i have never seen any since for sale,accept some guy on a auction site who taped them on v.h.s.off the tube....

heck i still am watchin clutch cargo,and sky king....wink!!!

and a little captain midnight,thrown in........start the afterburners inky!!!! get me the cup of ovaltine...........

RON

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Yup, Combat!- The Gallant Men- Twelve-O-Clock High- Mchales Navy- The Rat Patrol--I watched them all. There was some excellent writing in a lot of the Combat! episodes. I remember in the opening of the Gallant Men, the soldiers marching and one boot kicks a head with a helmet on into the roadside. Uncle Dudley

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Yes,yes,yes, I remember 'The Gallant Men". Didn't the Pla/sgt carry a M-3 Grease gun? 'Twelve O'clock High', 'Combat' were the top of the line WWII series we lived for. Reading Sgt.Rock & The Haunted Tank, supplemented the above shows also......I remember about January 1969 in Viet Nam, watching an episode of 'Combat" on a TV this Marine engineer unit had set up in a bunker; all part of a Marine compound that needed us Armored Cavalry tanks & Acavs to protect them one night. It was so wierd watching Saunders & his men come thru a kraut artillery barrage, when we got actual incoming mortar rounds at the same time.Ha!....Sorry, just lost myself there... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif ..............jw

Yes, I remember "Gallent Men!" I was in jr. high, and looked forward to it every week. It somehow seemed grittier and realer than "Combat!" But it also lacked some of the pizazz of "Combat!" Maybe the characters in Combat were more interesting.

I was such a rabid Combat! fan that I didn't pay as much attention to those "Gallant Men" as I should have. Good show tho, as I recall. I think Richard X. Slattery played the Sargeant, right? Plus, "Garrison's Gorillas" replaced Combat!, even using the same uniforms! The same MGM guns were used on Combat!, G's G's, and The Rat Patrol. I don't remember an M3 on Gallant Men. But, that proves my age, forgetting things.

And yes, Starz Action Channel is following the Combat! series' episodes in order. Fun to follow along with the Jo Davidsmeyer book, catching the bloopers (and finding more while watching). Ya just can't beat Sgt. Saunders. Well-written stuff, too.

Sgt. Rock, Sgt. Fury & His Howling Commandos, and G.I. Combat were my fave comics as a kid. I howled like a wolverine when they raised the price of comics from 10 cents to 12. I just realized, they don't put the "cents" sign on computer keyboards. Oops, showing the age again. Better hit the hay...it's 7:30PM!

Fun to remember that stuff; thanks to cable TV and the folks that keep the old films intact, we can keep enjoying it.

Fun post on this one; we can always use more.

PS: Junglewalk, funny story about the mortar barrage! Hope all were well afterwards!

Sigh, I still got all my comics. I have a complete set of Sgt Fury and the Howling Commandos.

Loved the Haunted Tank as well. Sgt Rock, whatta American.

The Losers also loved the Thompson. (topic save!)

I have all the Sgt. Rock, GI Combat, and other Misc. comics I collected when I was a kid. I get them out every once and a while and read them. My favorite illustrator was Russ Heath. His art was fantastic. I wish I could have seen any episode of Combat, The Gallant men. They were before my time. I did see some reruns of 12 O'clock High and The Desert Rats. I would always look for them to come on TV, but I would usually end up catching the last re-run the station was going to show. I will have to look for them on DVD.

Scott

GI Combat and The Haunted Tank was my favorite. First comic book I ever had and I still remember the story-"Stay Alive Until Dark". Who knew an M3 with its 37MM pea shooter could blow the turret off a Panther or Tiger I. When you're 10, anything is possible. Sgt. Rock, Sgt. Fury, and was there another called Willie's Lonely War about an American soldier who was falsely accused of desertion, and could not return to his lines while avoiding capture by German troops-sort of fighting the war by himself? I bet I still have those comics somewhere.

I never missed Combat as a kid and saw every Gallant Men, but as I recall there was always more love stories and mushy stuff and not as much action in the Gallant Men. The only episode I can really picture was where one of the regulars, on leave, loses his native girlfriend in an air raid. At the end he borrows a piece of chalk and writes her name on an artillery shell.

I wondered if anyone else remembered that short run series. Wow, the Galant Men. And yes, Fencer, 12 O'Clock High was a series. Col. Galiger and his B-17. You know, the poor old Germans never stood a chance. Everynight, either Combat, the Galant Men, 12 O'Clock High, Hogan's Heros, McCales Navy(he was transfered to Europe),Rat Patrol, Garrison's Gorillas,and war movies, war movies, war movies. Thanks for the memories. They were the days. Play Army all day long during the summer, no worries, older brothers cut grass, Mom and Dad worried about the bills. And every one in a while, a Swanson TV dinner!!!Mike Edited by M1APREBAN