An Amateur’s Guide for the Colt’s Thompson Submachine Gun

Hi m1a1bert,

The complete STL PD Police Department Colt's story is told - 34 pages. Your serial number will be listed and pictured along with the a copy of the IRS Form 1. I truly believe you will enjoy the story.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ordered my copy as soon as I got back from the NRA convention. At the convention, a lot of people asked about what happened to the St Louis guns. I said "turn around - there are two of them". It surprised me how many people knew at least a little bit of info about them, and I passed the book info on to them.

TD - you have a hit on your hands!

This book is fantastic. Many thanks and congratulations to Tom on his new book. Great section on the St. Louis 1927’s .... You know I love those 1927’s!!!

What a great book! It's a well written reference manual for 1st time buyer as well as a good refresher for seasoned collector. Easy to forget all of the little things to look for if you have been out of the "lane of traffic" for a while. I think it will tend to bring new buyers to the market place as they understand how they may be able to own a Thompson as well as will give them some basic knowledge of what to look for in a correct weapon. I consider Tracie's and Gordon's books the "bibles" of the Thompson world, but this book fills a void that has been left in the market place. It is what I consider to be a quick "check list" for correctness. Just picked off a second book to give to my son in law. Nice job Tom.

Sounds like a good read, I note it is also available on Amazon.co.uk , not going to get it personalised that way though.

Stay safe

Richard

Tom,

Ordered your new book when I got back from Indy. Recieved on Wednesday and finished reading this AM. found it a good read with valuable information and great pictures.

I would recommend for any Thompson collector.

Thanks for your hard work.

Frank

I appreciate the kind words about my new book. And the 5 star reviews on Amazon.com! If you like the book and have not done a review, I ask that you consider doing this. Good reviews really help on niche type books. Unfortunately, the great price offered by Amazon for a short time has been changed. Of course, I will be glad to personalize your book at the upcoming Ohio Gun Collectors Association (OGCA) show next Saturday or at the All Thompson Show & Shoot or TCA Show & Shoot later this year. I will have copies of my book at all these shows at special prices.

Again, thank you for your support.

Mine came yesterday and I spent all afternoon going through it. (When I should have been working)

The information and photo's are great. Very high quality and much info I did not know. The colored arrow annotations are very nice.

Thanks Tom, excellent job.

Tom,

I tried to leave a review on Amazon for your book. It wouldn't let me said I wasn't qualified as I'm not a prime member and bought the book on sale.

This may be the case with a lot of buyers.

Sorry

Frank

Mr Davis,

Just submitted a 5 Star review on Amazon. IMHO, I would classify your work as a reference text, and not just a "book." Really well done! Great pics. And to top it off I don't even own a Colt Thompson, or variant......yet!

Thanks again, for clear & concise work.

CaribRadDoc

The post does raise some interesting questions for us novices. Such as what are the types of scams we need to look out for?

Wondering if someone would care to share some examples of the types of problems and/or scams we might encounter?

Aside from not reading this and other books prior to the purchase,

the biggest mistake of any potential purchaser is failing to obtain and post quality photos on this board.

There will be more experience and careful dissection (of that firearm) here than all other sources combined.

Edited by mnshooter

• 2 weeks later...

Again, I thank everyone for the kind words and 5 star reviews on Amazon.com. The reviews are very helpful, especially for niche print-on-demand books. Sales have been steady and all the comments thus far have been positive.

I do have copies I can personalize and send to you directly. The cost is $40 plus $4.00 shipping. Reach out to me via PM or at my e-mail address for ordering information: tkd5501@fuse.net

I plan to attend both Thompson Shows & Shoots this year and will have books for sale and can sign those that have already purchased from Amazon.

• 3 months later...

This is excellent book and should absolutely be in any Colt Thompson collector's library. I would call it a must read and the high definition pictures showing the details are superb. Thank you for adding a very valuable resource to the Thompson literature!

Here’s an earnest plug for Tom’s book, with an example of expensive ignorance. Tom was at the Sept 20/21 Thompson Show and Shoot in Ohio. So was I, with my 1921 picked up from my dealer on Tuesday, 3 days earlier. He was looking it over, then said, “I have some bad news”. The barrel was bulged, about an inch from the compensator. I’d never noticed, and wouldn’t have - unless I’d read Tom’s book first. Would have returned the gun and sought out another. More constructively, he warned me about not firing this gun with original Colt parts. Which I would have done, not knowing any better. That $50 book would have saved me $5000 in lost value and a broken $1500 Colt actuator. In my defense, don’t think the book was out a year ago August. But this board was - no excuse for ignorance.

Get Tom’s book. Do so soon.

Here’s an earnest plug for Tom’s book, with an example of expensive ignorance. Tom was at the Sept 20/21 Thompson Show and Shoot in Ohio. So was I, with my 1921 picked up from my dealer on Tuesday, 3 days earlier. He was looking it over, then said, “I have some bad news”. The barrel was bulged, about an inch from the compensator. I’d never noticed, and wouldn’t have - unless I’d read Tom’s book first. Would have returned the gun and sought out another. More constructively, he warned me about not firing this gun with original Colt parts. Which I would have done, not knowing any better. That $50 book would have saved me $5000 in lost value and a broken $1500 Colt actuator. In my defense, don’t think the book was out a year ago August. But this board was - no excuse for ignorance.

Get Tom’s book. Do so soon.

DGinGA

Is the bulge in the barrel visible from the outside or is there a ring when you look down the bore?

DGinGA,

Thank you for the kind words about my book. It was my pleasure to loan you a PK cut down 21 style actuator and Savage Blish lock so you could safely shoot your Colt's on Sunday. By the way, my compliments to the Officers and Directors of TCA and members of the Tusco Rifle Range for holding another great Thompson shoot on Sunday!

I really hated telling you about the barrel. On the plus side, the bulge is barely noticeable since it is just behind the Cutts Compensator. It is still a nice looking Colt's. There is no doubt about the ring in the barrel but not many people will be shining a bore light down the barrel of your Colt's. I do have some additional information about your Colt's. Reach out to me via PM or e-mail and I will forward it to you.

On the plus side, it was great finding the original nickel oiler in the butt stock!

I will be at Knob Creek on Friday.

TD.

Edited by TD.