M1923 Thompson Museum Photo

i was going thru Doug's papers and I found this photo which he took in a museum'

somewhere in Europe. He used to visit Europe and when he was there he was always

on the trail of Thompsons.

I am no expert on the M1923 Thompson. I know Doug thought that it was an idea that

was promoted (the famous photo of a doughboy shooting a heavy barreled Thompson

with a bipod) but that was never put into production. If I recall he also was intrigued by

the fact that Auto-Ordnance was able to get Remington to make the special .45

Remington-Thompson ammo for a gun that did not exist yet.

So even though the M1923 was thought to be a catalog gun only, Doug found one in a museum

in Europe. Note in the photo the heavy, longer barrel, and the Hotchkiss bipod which

fits into cutouts in the large forend. On the back of the photo Doug has written:

Thompson M1923 (so labeled)

s/n Not visible

30-rd Seymour mag (wrong)

Heavy Barrel

Stock has little drop

This is all quite an interesting find...

Bob

M1923.jpg

Bob,

An interesting picture of Colt's NO 2594 that I have not seen before. This Model of 1923 is on display at the Tojhusmuseet Collection in Denmark. It is unfortunate that museum officials have pictured it with a 30 round World War II magazine. Those with my Amateur's Guide book can see additional pictures on Page 30. Those with The Ultimate Thompson Book can find more pictures on pages 151 & 152.

Thank you for sharing.

b_1569_s.jpg

I believe West Point also has a model of 1923. There is supposed to be another one in a museum in France and there have been rumors (unconfirmed) of another in the Miami area. I havent done any meaningful research on these but it appears they made up maybe 5-6 sales samples to demonstrate to potential military customers. These guns eventually were sold or given to prospective buyers. If it had been available A few years earlier it might have been a winner. Edited by 1921A

I think the one got uzi is talking about is the hardware store guy in Chicago who had some nice Thompsons ratholed. that was one of them. and a old time Tommy collector bought the whole pile.The one from FAT TONYS CHEESE SHOP might still be in chi-town. so many to keep track of. and you lose the count as the decades fly by.

still have never relocated the 2 railroad 21as out of Indiana, Found in the attic of a retired worker However i know the 100 rd c's and the Mills cases have long been sold off from that pair. in the #2100 range...it was in a time if you did not have a polaroid camera you were screwed.

the land before all we have now...RON K.

p.s. thanks for the 1923 info. never bothered ever to locate and buy one ever. Had all kinds of 1918/1919 B.A.R.S

AND IF YOU DO SOME HOME STUDIES MIGHT BE ONE IN THE SAME UNLESS THERE WAS A LOST CRATE OF THEM FROM CHICAGO TO MIAMI, WHEN THEY GET TO BE THAT RARE YOU CAN COUNT THEM ON ONE HAND.Almost like monitors and 1919 colt commercials...I LIKE THE PRINT WILL START NEXT WEEK WITH CRAYOLAS.as i said glad the poster posted about the 23 long forgotten like the 30.06 bar Thompson that was in the same pile.as i said thanks for the memories' forget a Thompson serial number everyday, Too bad i can't do pics. probably have pics of over 500 from the good days.