ANONYMOUS Poll...

How many Sportsman's Club breech oilers did you buy?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How many Sportsman's Club breech oilers did you buy?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five
    • Six or more
    • Ten
    • Eleven or more
    • I'm greedy!

Just for fun. I seem to recall that they (Sportsman's Club) offered bolts and they dried up as fast. Come on, be honest!

I bought one and I will prove it!!!

3.  New Thompson SMG Felt Oiler
    Product: WX2-85778
    Expected availability: August 31, 2004.
    Quantity: 1, Unit Price: $8.07, Total Price: $8.07
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Guide Customer,

Thank you for your recent order at The Guide.  The following items are on back-order until the date shown:

- Expected 10/05/04: ORIGINAL THOMPSON FELT OILER

We sold out of this item much sooner than expected.  As always, your charge card will not be billed until your backordered item ships.  We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Our Web site is automatically updated several times each day.  We try to keep only available merchandise listed on our Web site.  Therefore, if an item is on back-order or sold out it should not show up as being available to order, except on rare occasions.  We really do value your business and we understand your frustration.

If you would like to verify availability on a particular item, call our Order Desk (1-800-882-2962) or our Customer Service Department (1-800-888-5222) to help you.

Thank you for shopping The Guide.

With Our Compliments:
--------------------------------------------------------
Issued: 07/26/04                     Coupon No.: 2204451
Presented to: JOHN L TITSWORTH
For the Amount of:                        *****$5.00****
Reference No.:   24276297            Good Thru: 07/26/05

To redeem your Guide Discount Coupon: *By mail: Send in your Coupon along with your completed order.  *By phone: Give the coupon number in the upper right hand corner of your coupon to the Rep taking your order.  Call 1-800-888-30.06.  *By Internet: At checkout screen, enter coupon number from upper right hand corner of coupon.  Coupon must be redeemed in full, cannot be redeemed for cash, and must be redeemed within one year from date of issue.  Not valid with other offers.  Only one coupon may be used on an order.
--------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Customer Service

Contact our Order Dept at 1-800-888-30.06
Contact our Customer Service Dept at 1-800-888-5222, Fax 651-552-5305

The Sportsman's Guide - A Catalog & Internet Company
The Lowest Prices, Best Quality, Guaranteed!
Visit our Fun to Browse Web site at: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Or, write to: S. G. Customer Service
411 Farwell Ave.
So. St. Paul, MN 55075-9876

Told ya

I'm kind of amazed that any members would be surprised that they sold out quickly. When you find something you've been looking for at a reasonable price, buy it, keep your mouth shut and enjoy your good fortune. Maybe tell a friend that's looking for one, but announcing on a chat list every obsolete Thompson part that becomes available is exactly what keeps driving the price up and feeds the "Thompson Greed." http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

By the way, for the record I didn'y buy any. There was no place on the poll to record zero.

gijive: I thought everyone on this chat site shared a common interest with me and were therefore my friends. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif Never intended to drive up the price or feed Thompson greed. In fact, I thought I could save members some $$$$$ and allow them to buy at a lower price. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

QUOTE (OldFalGuy @ Jul 27 2004, 02:19 AM)
Got a better question- how many were told they are on back order, both of mine were.

M

Actually, it appears the real question is: Who's order WAS NOT backordered?

My order was initially listed as back ordered,but got another e-mail last night that it had been shipped with a UPS tracking number given.The oiler is no longer on the website,however.Maybe they miscounted the inventory,and a few more of us will get lucky.

IMHO- this is a special interest board,and I believe in sharing tips and info like this.Hopefully no one here ordered a 100 of them to try to make a killing.

BTW-I ordered two.

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sarco has them listed in their Shotgun News PDF on their website for $34.95 http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif 20th July, 2004 124-128.

Thompson new

1928 Felt Oilers

Perfect repros– Just in the door.

Been waiting for these for years.

Only $34.95 3 for $89.50

Larry,

I know that was your intention and I regret my choice of words in the previous post. I was only trying to make a point that when reasonbly priced stuff becomes available, the entrepreneurs come out of the wood work and buy it all for resale at an inflated price. Nothing wrong with making a profit, but obviously someone bought quite a few of them, more than one could possibly use in a lifetime, for later resale. It's unfortunate that the people that really could use a couple can't get them now at a good price.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, of course one should be able to share good deals with other Thompson aficionados. I didn't intend to come on so strongly.

QUOTE (ThompsonCrazy @ Jul 27 2004, 11:41 AM)
Sarco
Thompson new
1928 Felt Oilers

So then someone is making reproduction oilers? Are the Sportsman's Guide repros?

Brents copy of the SG ad indicates they (SG) are repros. As far as I know, the oilers (Original) were unmarked.

QUOTE (ThompsonCrazy @ Jul 27 2004, 11:41 AM)

Sarco

Thompson new

1928 Felt Oilers

The1930sRust: The 2004 Fall Shooter's Catalog I received from Sportsmansguide lists the Thompson Oiler on page 107 as "brand new, never issued" and has a white star in a green circle with "U. S. Gov't Issue" written in the star. If you look the oiler up by item number (HX4A-85778) on the sportsmansguide website (That is the only way you will find it now as you can no longer find it by typing in "Thompson") it says it is "original issue" and "condition- brand new, never issued".

Yes, they even look unoiled. I was wondering if Sarco was selling reproduction oilers, and who might be making them. Seems I recall a post that someone was thinking of making them...

Everything I saw said they were original but I don't think it matters now as I doubt I will get it. I mean how can a orignal parts not currently produced (as opposed to "reproduced" be "ordered to fill a back order????????? Unless SG has a source for these that isn't itself out of the item we may just be tattoo'ed. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

OldFalGuy: Don't give up just yet. I remember last year when sportmansguide had unissued 1928 bolts for sale at around $45.00 each and sold out and then about two months later had a second batch of 28 bolts and I got lucky. The bolts were marked "S" and some had the "S" and a "P" if I remember the old posts.

Ok Hawknest, I will hang in there, and I really appreciate the heads up on the purchase of these parts. I need all the help I can get trying to assemble a parts box for the 28. I, like others, need to know and find the typical parts that tend to break and have a couple of spares around. A couple of bolts at most as I don't really see them breaking but firing pins, extractors and stuff might.I rarely ever venture over to SG to even check them out and it appears there is lots more stuff there than comes in thier mailings.

When i get mine in a few days, i will compare to original and let y'all know. I am very good at discerning tooling marks and foming arcana on stuff like this. AFAIC, $9 for a good repro, is better than $35 for repro, and it will be better than some of the old 1920's vintage worn out crap oilers I have had to put up with.

BTW, I got some SG NIW bolts several years ago, and they were new in wrap, Savage.

I think they find this stuff time to time overseas, and don't want to buy the whole warehouse, so they order a couple hundred or so, and if it sells out, they buy more. I had no complaints about my 10 NIW Israeli 1919 barrels I got from them

Doug

My oiler arrived today. It was in a celophane wrapper with a label that said "made in India". Doesn't work in my Thompson. See the other thread (my original post concerning these "GI" oilers being for sale at SG) for further details. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif