ATF cashed check 10 months ago ....

My checks cashed 4-20-21 for four different guns. I am afraid to call. Just took 3 months for a C&R gun to come from an out of state individual to our shop. I'm sure it will be a year for it to Form 4 to me. At least I can play with it. Only have 6 transfers to do after that...and that's if I don't find anything else. At least they will be eforms....hopefully if we ever get efile fixed. Edited by Waffen Und Bier

im 71 and ive given up on buying or selling sbr. last one i sold took 14 months. ive seen a couple deals on some sbr semi thompsons all tricked out for sale on this site but i just dont want to spend another year of my life waitng on a permit. im sure the atf is overwhelmed with new requests and background checks but you would think for repeat buyers it would move a bit quicker. especially if all the information, residence etc is the same for the last 35 years. oh well so it goes and good luck to ya

• Upvote 1

im 71 and ive given up on buying or selling sbr. last one i sold took 14 months. ive seen a couple deals on some sbr semi thompsons all tricked out for sale on this site but i just dont want to spend another year of my life waitng on a permit. im sure the atf is overwhelmed with new requests and background checks but you would think for repeat buyers it would move a bit quicker. especially if all the information, residence etc is the same for the last 35 years. oh well so it goes and good luck to ya

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) is similar to the BATFE in that a limited number of Examiners review submitted documents for approval. A patent application submitted to the PTO for examination has a PTO goal of initial review at or before 14 months from receipt. However, the PTO provides for expedited examination to applicants who are 65 years old or older (or who meet other designated considerations).

Write your Senators and Congressman and ask for legislation to provide a similar age of applicant based expedited review at the BATFE.

Be well, 2A

My checks cashed 4-20-21 for four different guns. I am afraid to call. Just took 3 months for a C&R gun to come from an out of state individual to our shop. I'm sure it will be a year for it to Form 4 to me. At least I can play with it. Only have 6 transfers to do after that...and that's if I don't find anything else. At least they will be eforms....hopefully if we ever get efile fixed.

My LGS was talking about the efile and said that the software/license/hardware for the electronic fingerprint stuff cost $4000 (or was it $5000?) I asked if I can go to a private fingerprint business (as I did for last form 4, since Collin County Texas Sheriff won't do it anymore) and can't they give me a thumb drive of the prints digitized and then can't you just send that file with the efile? He said no.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, the guy who sold me the Thompson M1 got the paperwork from the ATF today that will allow him to ship the gun to my dealer here in AZ. The total time was 7 weeks and 6 days! Maybe the ATF is getting their act together!

Hello Ebeeby,

I have been following this thread with interest, and earlier I asked if it was possible that I was in for a two year wait, one year for the seller to my local dealer, and another year for the dealer to me. I was told that this was possible. The seller told me that he thought it would be 5-6 months to get the form back, before he could ship the gun to my local dealer. I have to admit, this is my first machine gun purchase, so I am on thin ice here, but that is what I was told. Is your experience like mine, just shy of two months from seller to dealer? I was concerned, two years is a long time to wait. The seller acted pretty surprised that he had gotten the form back so soon.

I just hope it is getting better, and the next form will go quickly too!

My latest Thompson just received took 11 months from them receiving the paperwork. Yes, you are in for a long wait, no getting around that.

I just bought a machinegun from a dealer (in Tennessee) and he E filed form 3 to my dealer (North Dakota) on 3/17/22 and it was approved 3/18/22. He shipped the gun yesterday (3/21/22) and it should be at my dealer 3/24/22. I will E file form 4 when it gets here.

U D

I just bought a machinegun from a dealer (in Tennessee) and he E filed form 3 to my dealer (North Dakota) on 3/17/22 and it was approved 3/18/22. He shipped the gun yesterday (3/21/22) and it should be at my dealer 3/24/22. I will E file form 4 when it gets here.

U D

Looking forward to your efile form 4 results!

U D

I have 2 form 4 paper in December 2021 and will be 2 e file March 2022. I post the results.

U D

I have 2 form 4 paper in December 2021 and will be 2 e file March 2022. I post the results.

My local gun shop is small, but Class III. He investigated eFile and said that you have to buy a "system" to make it work because the photos, prints etc. can't just be scanned but have to be sent in some sort of proprietary file format for eFile. The latest cost of such a "system" is about $5,000 according to him.

He asked me to ask you which or what "system" your North Dakota guy is using to do your form 4 transfer - if you wouldn't mind sharing that.

Thanks,

Eric

U D

My local gun shop is small, but Class III. He investigated eFile and said that you have to buy a "system" to make it work because the photos, prints etc. can't just be scanned but have to be sent in some sort of proprietary file format for eFile. The latest cost of such a "system" is about $5,000 according to him.

He asked me to ask you which or what "system" your North Dakota guy is using to do your form 4 transfer - if you wouldn't mind sharing that.

Thanks,

Eric

I'll ask tomorrow. They do a lot of silencers so they updated to the new equipment.

U D

Wish I had good news to pass along, unfortunately not as I purchased my thompson 28a1 last March, form 4 sent to my dealer 3 weeks later, ATF cashed check early may, checked status yesterday, advised currently in pending status with current wait times pushing 1 year possibly longer due to new e-forms currently hitting the systems, will update once notified of any changes

Wish I had good news to pass along, unfortunately not as I purchased my thompson 28a1 last March, form 4 sent to my dealer 3 weeks later, ATF cashed check early may, checked status yesterday, advised currently in pending status with current wait times pushing 1 year possibly longer due to new e-forms currently hitting the systems, will update once notified of any changes

ATF received my Form 4 for a WW2 Thompson Aug 2nd. Called them yesterday and they said currently they've been taking 8 months.

Time to order more ammo.

Atf cashed my check last April on C&R Thompson. Maybe I got a slow examiner.

NFA tracker shows that most Form 4 approvals are now taking almost a year or more.

I just got four Form 4's back (dealer to individual) approved in 11 months. All sent in together. All received the same day. Looking at a Form 3 going from us to another dealer, going on 2 months. If I were king.....

U D

Thanks,

Eric

We finally got the last transfer done today, efiled. The dealer said his equipment was about $7,000.00. He had to buy ATF approved equipment from a list and the printer needs to be FBI certified. We have 2 Thompsons on paper form 4 in state and now 2 form 4 e filed. The dealer I got this Ruger from said he already had a couple 9 week form 4 approvals since the first of the year.

Scott AC556 4.jpg

Scott AC556 3.jpg

Edited by Uncle Dudley