Video Of Mp44, Mp40, And Thompson M1

It has been confirmed to me that my bolt is the correct weight, and the speed must be spring or ammo related. I am very surprised, as I cannot imagine it was the ammo. But I will try again. There is an article out there which says that the M1 is very ammo/speed sensitive.

He is just putting up with me for lifting him for the photo. He does not understand why I would do such a thing.

We played a game with him and trapped him in the car and then I ran with a 3 minute head start into the trails in the woods. I took many forks, and went down several paths to see if he could find me. When my friends released him from the car, he ran toward where I went so fast, that as he jumped over a white fence in which a guy was sitting on it, he crashed into the guy (must have scared him) -- I suppose it was a slightly more direct path than going around the guy. At full speed seemingly without having to stop and sniff the ground, he figured out what paths I had taken and found me in no time. The first time I hid from him in the house he did not find me, but the second time he realized it was a game and came right to me. I love playing tricks on him. Running around the kitchen island and having him chase me, and then suddenly changing direction and chasing him and them watching him slide all over the wood floor like Bambi on ice.

Robert, you wouldn't have anything to do with Photomosaics, would you? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

RS,

The Shep games must be universal. Even Shepherds born, trained, and shown in Eastern Europe instinctively know and play the same games when they come to the U.S. Does your Shep, when he is lying down, try to sleathily trip you/family with his muzzle when you step around him right at the last second?

Walter.

Yah, he's the Photomosaics King.

I do accidently kick him in the head a lot as a step over him. It only happens because he suddenly moves into my way. I don't think he tries to trip me though.

He sleeps in the doorways or at the bottom of the stairs. There is no getting by him unnoticed. And he often sleeps against the front door, upside down, with his legs in the air leaning against the door. It is so funny looking. Needless to say, if the door was opened he would know it.

http://www.photomosaic.com/albums/Phonix/phonixjin.jpg

Thanks Arthur! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif I was fairly certain anyway, though. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Robert, that last photo is really nice, with those white teeth at the ready! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif My brother has a nearly pure black hund (German Shepherd) which curls up on his lap when he is reading, or watching a movie. That also looks bizarre, as the dog must weigh nearly 100 pounds. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif I've got to get a photo of that sometime. :-) Regards, Walter

Robert,

I have the same type bolt in my AO M1, I was told it is a "sand cut" bolt. 788 grams (27.8 oz)

I timed the gun today and it ran 1049 rpm mag after mag.

Jim will agree it's a speed demon, we took video if someone wanted to post it.

The 1928A1 timed at 962 rpm

Between seconds 1:20 and 1:22 the XMG beltfed upper jams. The bolt is stuck halfway between foward and backward. The final belt pull shows a jam at the end as well. The belt is thrown from the right side when the gun is done firing.

Every single video of the XMG except those listed on the brp website show the gun jamming.

I wonder what type of ammo was being used in the videos I have seen...

???

I have a M1A1 bolt lying around, and it and yours look the same (though your's is a M1). The Gunmachines bolts I have seen were for a 1928, and there was significant metal removed - I remember two distinct holes transversly through the bolt. They didn't use a blish lock anymore, either.

This is certianly thought to be a cause of broken recievers - I refuse to get one for my gun. I do doubt your bolt is lightened, unless someone reduces the bolt mass and changes the spring rate accordingly, the gun wouldn't work anyway.

PK and others covered this before - you can't just a light bolt and go expect it to work - safely.

I cannot view the video (my work computer won't allow me http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif ) but is the video being played back at real time or accelerated?

Anyone else have a pic of the Gunmachines bolt?

The video is playing normal speed. I counted the firing pulses and feel the M1 is firing at 1170rom.

Can you weigh your bolt for me on a kitchen or postal scale? I need to know once and for all if my bolt is the correct mass. I already have a new spring on order, and will try other ammo. I hear Wolf is slowest firing.

Ron

Aren't you the guy who cleaned up at Devine's auction a couple of months ago? If so, have you tried out those new toys yet? I'm particularly interested in the Virginia State Police M1921 you acquired.

thanks

Snipershot

Hey Artie! Ya gotta kink in your memory ingrams there, Son. It's not "Kozlowsky", his name is and was Jim Klodzynski, DBA "Gunmachines, Inc.". He's a little bit southeast of me here, down in the melon region of SE Colorado.

Once sorta revered as a Thompson God, he actually DID have some good ideas and good advice on TSMG's mixed in with a lot of fluff meant to sell his wares. Unfortunately he kinda got drummed outta' the Biz with his selling of the "Speed Bolt kits" and shit......'Course ya'll gota remember that when he started doing that, a nice 28A1 was selling for about a grand, at most, and a M1/M1A1 were selling (when you could actaully find someone who would WANT one) for about $400.00.....MAYBE.

"He's probably responsible for having more TSMG's repaired than anyone other single cause.".....that's what you'll always hear, but in truth the owner of the gun has the ultimate responsibility for knowing what is good or bad for his guns, Eh? ;-)

-TomH

Tom,

Thanks for the proper spelling. I guess his business name surpassed his own name. Considering the legacy of that company, an incorrect recollection of Klodzynski’s name might be fortuitous for the man. But when a guy advertises his wares with the slogan "WE MAKE THOMPSON‘S ROAR," I suppose the buyer is on notice that when they substitute a KLODZYNSKI part in their smg they will have in effect converted the firearm to operate outside of the specs it was designed for. These "Gunmachines" parts were developed not because there was a burning need to make Thompson's have a ROF of Ingram's, but because Klodzynski had a burning desire to derive income from altered, once vintage, parts. Many "entrepreneurs" try to manufacture a demand for an item that otherwise never existed. Klodzynski' just suffered the same fate as other shill men. I guess he wanted to be the Ron Popeil of Thompson's, but instead resembled the Einstein at Coke (circa 1984), who thought it would be a great idea to initiate an advertising blitz for "New" Coke.

“but in truth the owner of the gun has the ultimate responsibility for knowing what is good or bad for his guns, Eh? ;-)” Tom- I have to heartily disagree, you don’t sell stuff that breaks the customers gun. Period. There is no excuse for bad engineering in my estimation. This example (speed bolts & lugless locks) is particularly egregious, defying even common sense. I think you were kidding but that one is a hot button with me. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Wow- this has been one wild weekend post- I am just now coming on board.

Weight of the M1 bolt assembly with actuator (total recoiling mass) is about 824 grams.

Phil is right; a heavy spring will do little to slow a bolt in the recoil direction, but will sure speed it up going home- I’d have a look at the spring.

Merle tells folks to lube with STP to slow their Tommy’s down, I bet using medium grease would do the trick too.

Some M1’s run fast and there may not be a problem, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a peek at her.

The photos of the bolt look absolutely normal- “speed bolts” have a definite “Swiss cheese” appearance.

Even after downloading the video to the hard drive, I could not get it to run real time. FWIW

My Father was a diesel mechanic- he claimed STP was nothing more that the additive used to increase viscosity in regular oil; if you wanted a heavier oil, buy it and leave the STP alone. Right? Wrong? I don’t know. I’ve never even opened a can.

I think Merle is primarily suggesting that the high viscosity will be adequate to drag things down, while providing some heavy film lubrication. I suppose honey would do the same thing, but this would be unwise in bear country.

Paul says: "... I have to heartily disagree, you don’t sell stuff that breaks the customers gun. Period. There is no excuse for bad engineering in my estimation. "

Okay, nothing to argue with there. You missed my point though, I think. I *meant* what I said, and it goes a whole lot deeper then just a simple 'caveat emptor' diatribe. It is irrelavent whether you are brand new to owning MG's or have been around the block a hundred times...if you are going to own these guns, you simply MUST educate yourself in all aspects......operating peculiarities, proper ammo use, care and maintenance, etc., etc. Acquiring a new type of gun is a mandatory ground-zero learning experience on that piece, no matter how much other experience you may have....if you just unwrap the packaging on it, stuff some in some ammo and go pull the trigger...if anything unexpected happens, it's on your head.

Here's my point in another light: Forget that what Klodzynski was selling was, to knowledgeable folks at least, a pretty much known quantitiy in that it would harm the weapons eventually, but rather ask why are some people are always so willing to alter and modify their guns without the slightest interest in what might be happening to cause it to diverge from it's original design parameters?? If you go and do that, put non-standard parts in of ANY description, I am going to yell and scream at you that's it's your own fault if you hurt the gun......period.

-TomH http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Jul 19 2004, 02:22 PM)
Ron

Aren't you the guy who cleaned up at Devine's auction a couple of months ago? If so, have you tried out those new toys yet? I'm particularly interested in the Virginia State Police M1921 you acquired.

thanks

Snipershot

I don't have them yet. First I waited for signoffs, then I decided not to wait, and want corporate -- but then I waited to get a new C&R in the corp's name to transfer them on, and that added a lot of time. I should have them soon.