1928A1 Bolt Spring Help!

Questions:

Is the buffer pilot stamped with an "S" or an "AOC" manufacturer marking?

What manufacturer mark is on the actuator?

Can you post a picture of these two items, especially the rear hole of the actuator?

Are you using a NOS GI spring? Or an aftermarket spring?

timkel may be on to something, above. Can you measure the pilot end of the buffer pilot and the diameter of the pilot hole in the end of the receiver?

Over the years I have noticed a slight difference of length between WWII GI buffer pilots. Perhaps you have one that is on the short side and is contributing to this problem. .

The reason I asked if your Thompson was a West Hurley, above, because a very common defect for WHs is the pilot hole is not within proper specifications (too large). PK will make a dedicated buffer pilot for these WHs during his remanufacturing process.

The buffer pilot is marked with an " S ". The spring is USGI NOS. I cannot find any marks on the actuator other than a " 5 ". The actuator & pilot seem to have excessive wear. Please see photos.

post-5115-0-81657600-1543171072_thumb.jpg

post-5115-0-33495600-1543171108_thumb.jpg

Bruce

Please post two measurements, it will allow us to know rather than guess

1) The distance from the front face of the disc on the buffer guide rod to the end

2) The distance from the front face of the disc to the center of the takedown pin hole

Bruce

Please post two measurements, it will allow us to know rather than guess

1) The distance from the front face of the disc on the buffer guide rod to the end

2) The distance from the front face of the disc to the center of the takedown pin hole

3 3/16

2 13/16

It appears to me that the oiler (pads on each side of bolt) is not square at the rear of the receiver causing the pilot to tilt to one side. I had the same problem and after re-bendu g that and reinstalling, also added a urethane buffer on the bolt side of the pilot (two buffers) which shortens the travel 1/8" but gives the spring less space to kink.

Take a peek at that oiler....methinks that will make a difference.

I believe you have identified the parts and perhaps all the problem. My guess is the pilot shaft on the buffer pilot was at the low end of the tolerance or maybe out of specification and was wobbling around in the pilot hole in the back of the receiver. This would explain the wear on the end of the buffer pilot and actuator hole. It is also possible the pilot hole at the end of the receiver is too large, but hopefully it is only a parts problem.

I suggest purchasing a 1928 buffer pilot and actuator from Omega Weapon Systems. From what I have seen, most of their parts are like new. I would ask Don Bell if he would look for a buffer pilot with a bevel on both ends to match yours. I would also want to install a new GI recoil spring when installing the "new" parts. Omega has both the plain and knurled actuators

If a different buffer pilot has any wobble when inserted in the pilot hole at the rear of the receiver I would stop and contact PK. He can make you a custom buffer pilot to fit the receiver hole. He does this all the time with West Hurley receivers that are out of spec (all of them). His wait time for fixing small problems like this is not measured in years. I also suggest obtaining one of PK's polymer buffer discs to replace the original GI red disc. No sense battering the rear of your receiver needlessly.

I would also take heed of what several of the other Board members have posted. It is all good information.

Your old actuator would most likely make an excellent candidate to be cut down to a 1921 style actuator. The end of your old buffer pilot may also clean up with a fine file and/or stone.

I will reiterate what John said. If the tip of the buffer pilot is off center its because the

rear of the breech oiler where the buffer pilot goes thru it is bent and not sitting flat against

the back of the receiver. It can be tricky bending it back to correct shape but its do-able.

You could also just take out the breech oilers to remove a variable. All this being said I

don't know that this is why the spring is coming out of the actuator. I'd figure - as others

have - that the buffer pilot is too short.

Bob

OK based on this drawing and Bruce's measurements, his pilot is approx.5/32" short. That does not seem like a huge number but it may be enough to cause an issue.

Bruce,

When you go to re-assemble the gun are you leaving the pin inserted in the takedown hole and the spring trapped and compressed on the pilot until after everything is in place and aligned? Basically, pulling out the pin should be the last thing you do before putting the lower back on the upper.

OK based on this drawing and Bruce's measurements, his pilot is approx.5/32" short. That does not seem like a huge number but it may be enough to cause an issue.

Bruce,

When you go to re-assemble the gun are you leaving the pin inserted in the takedown hole and the spring trapped and compressed on the pilot until after everything is in place and aligned? Basically, pulling out the pin should be the last thing you do before putting the lower back on the upper.

Yes, that is exactly what I do.

I will reiterate what John said. If the tip of the buffer pilot is off center its because the

rear of the breech oiler where the buffer pilot goes thru it is bent and not sitting flat against

the back of the receiver. It can be tricky bending it back to correct shape but its do-able.

You could also just take out the breech oilers to remove a variable. All this being said I

don't know that this is why the spring is coming out of the actuator. I'd figure - as others

have - that the buffer pilot is too short.

Bob

I will check that out Bob. Thank you all again!

Not all Savage 1928 buffer pilots are created equal. A early and late Savage pilot comparison.

T0Nd57Fm.jpg

vD7cmHt.jpg

gtvfNOe.jpg

NIn2c7l.jpg

7NgNZJG.jpg

The shorter buffer pictured looks like the one I have. I am a prime example of how the spring will pop out with the shorter buffer. So, I ask, how did the original guns work with the shorter buffer?

Not all Savage 1928 buffer pilots are created equal. A early and late Savage pilot comparison.

T0Nd57Fm.jpg

vD7cmHt.jpg

gtvfNOe.jpg

NIn2c7l.jpg

7NgNZJG.jpg

So, I ask, how did the original guns work with the shorter buffer?
They work just fine. I would focus on alignment of your pilot and actuator and not the length of your pilot. See the wear marks on your actuator pilot hole and pilot end. These have been hitting one another and should not be. This is bad!

Get yourself a new GI actuator, pilot, oil pads (unless you want to bend yours) and spring (yes another new one). Unless your receiver is bad (pilot hole worn out) this will correct your pilot alignment issues and keep everything running fine.

Its not about the length of the pilot, its how well you line it up with the hole. If it lines up, you spring will compress correctly. If it does not align, your spring will do as shown in your photos. Same as when you try to put the gun together without the aid of the pin hole. Spring needs to be compressed straight else it will shootout sideways. Make sense?

Ron

T0Nd57Fm.jpg

vD7cmHt.jpg

gtvfNOe.jpg

NIn2c7l.jpg

7NgNZJG.jpg

So, I ask, how did the original guns work with the shorter buffer?
They work just fine. I would focus on alignment of your pilot and actuator and not the length of your pilot. See the wear marks on your actuator pilot hole and pilot end. These have been hitting one another and should not be. This is bad!

Get yourself a new GI actuator, pilot, oil pads (unless you want to bend yours) and spring (yes another new one). Unless your receiver is bad (pilot hole worn out) this will correct your pilot alignment issues and keep everything running fine.

Its not about the length of the pilot, its how well you line it up with the hole. If it lines up, you spring will compress correctly. If it does not align, your spring will do as shown in your photos. Same as when you try to put the gun together without the aid of the pin hole. Spring needs to be compressed straight else it will shootout sideways. Make sense?

Ron

I will check on this tomorrow....

You could also try working the action without the spring and see if you can detect where the issue may be.

Ron

Appears normal. I will replace the actuator & buffer pilot. Can't find an actuator with the knurled knob which sucks....