New member contemplates getting a Form 1 for a WH 1927a1

The CLEO sign off might be due to state law and has no bearing from 41F, I do not know about you, but I do not thinking of swapping barrels like they were beltfeds. For me once it is in, it is in unless something catastrophic occurred. Lasers do not know if the barrel is round or not, but to each their own

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much for the nicely detailed comment because it definitely cleared a few things up for me. I followed your advice and downloaded the pdf and typed all of my information in on it before printing. It looks much neater so thanks for letting me know about it. I don't mind the wait being longer than 2-3 weeks since I don't have all of the funds right now to do the full conversion (I bought a WW2 Remington Rand 1911a1 over Thanksgiving break and my bank account is still recouping from that).

Very nice! I have been wondering if I should go for the 1928a1 style or not. My biggest problem so far is that I cannot find a complete, detachable stock for the life of me. I can piece one together except I cannot locate a butplate assembly for one. What would you guys recommend: just get the SBR tax stamp and change the barrel and leave the gun a bit wonky for now with the incorrect butt stock, or go all out and go for a 1928a1 look with a horizontal foregrip, USGI stock set with a detachable stock along with the milling done to the frame for an adapter plate, original cutts compensator, a 1/2" foregrip frame to fit a USGI stock set, and a lyman l sight?

Very nice! I have been wondering if I should go for the 1928a1 style or not. My biggest problem so far is that I cannot find a complete, detachable stock for the life of me. I can piece one together except I cannot locate a butplate assembly for one. What would you guys recommend: just get the SBR tax stamp and change the barrel and leave the gun a bit wonky for now with the incorrect butt stock, or go all out and go for a 1928a1 look with a horizontal foregrip, USGI stock set with a detachable stock along with the milling done to the frame for an adapter plate, original cutts compensator, a 1/2" foregrip frame to fit a USGI stock set, and a lyman l sight?

Again, contact Dan Block at http://www.thompsonstocks.com/ ... He can supply all of your wood needs

He replied to my message yesterday evening and I just responded, so I hope to hear back from him to see what are my options.

Sarco has reproduction 1928 Thompson Stock Slide Assemblies for sale - check it.

I was on Sarco and I liked it, but I'd much rather buy a complete stock if possible before resorting to piecing one together, especially if I habe to go around and find a spring for this assembly that it says doesn't come with it. I have been keeping an eye out for complete stock, but I haven't been too sucessful so far.

Numrich has Enfield p17 buttstock plates that with a little custom bending of the tang for top screw ....it fits a 1928 stock very well and looks so close to original most people never notice.

It's only 8 bucks

A ww2 buttstock for 15 bucks

And a repo but stock slide

You have a very nice serviceable stock for less than a 100 bucks

A piece of GI wood from sarco

15 bucks looked bad , cleaned up nice with BLO finish

Sarcos repop catch 50 bucks

A p17 enfield butt stock plate 8 bucks from numrich

And a genuine sling swivel for 15

It comes out really nice and is all readily available

post-261427-0-06442100-1544711850_thumb.jpg

post-261427-0-19228000-1544711880_thumb.jpg

post-261427-0-11977400-1544711904_thumb.jpg

Edited by 95mustang

What about the bolts that attach the latch assembly to the stock?

To use a detachable stock your lower receiver would need to be altered to accept the stock ... I don't think the older west hurley guns had this feature ... You can buy a M28 stock that bolts on but is not detachable ... That is the option I used on my SBR ... This stock was made by Dan Block.

post-260006-0-98612600-1544733956_thumb.jpg

Good to know about the bolts. I plan on getting an adapter plate to allow the use of a detachable 1928 stock. I have already messaged deerslayer and he offers the service of milling the frame for the plate.

Before you sink all that money into the gun, you should make a spread sheet and add it all up. You may end up cheaper selling the WH and buying a new kahr that already accepts the detachable stock.

There's a ton of guys out there who didnt plan everything out and ended up with a $400 glock with $1400 worth of aftermarket stuff and work done to it. :D

Edited by giantpune

Honestly, that is one thing that was kind of worrying me because I was starting to add up all of the parts, cost for services (rebarreling, milling frame, etc.) and the price was kind of shocking me for all of the bells and whistles. My main thing is that the WH frame is basically a M1 frame with a 1928 style safety. So, to make this Thompson as close to an accurate version of a 1928a1 thompson, I basically need to keep the receiver and semi auto parts and slap them on a modifyed 1928 parts kit for the semi auto parts. However, I am not going to do that due the incredibly high prices of parts kits these days. In the end, I will realistically just keep my WH thompson, get a form 1 for it, rebarrel it, and get a 1928 stock and just bolt it on to the frame as shown above. If I get lucky and come across a complete 1928 stock for around $100, then I will get the frame modifyed to fit it. No matter how much I spend on trying to make this look like a 1928a1, it will never be one so I should just get the gun shorter and a hair more correct amd call it good enough since I will never be able to afford a transferrable 1928a1 machine gun.

Just kidding, I'm glad someone has read my "about me" section and sadly, the mustang was just a project car so it didn't get me anywhere close to getting a transferrable MG.

When I wanted '28 furniture to replace the items on my '21 I found a complete set on eBay from a European seller. It took about three weeks to get shipped to me. The stock (non-cross bolt) and pistol grip are in fair condition and the horizontal foregrip (which I did not need) was like new and I sold it to offset some of the cost. It did take a few months of watching before parts came up for sale at a reasonable price.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Thank you very much for the link to the stock assembly that is for sale. I recently saw one that got away from me and ended at $155 on gunbroker ( later, cross bolt stock). I have been waiting around to see if a used stock or a set to come up. I imagine that the $100 used stock sets are long gone, but I am still keeping an eye out for a stock or complete set for a good buy. I will have to keep an eye out at knob creek this spring if nothing comes up by then.

• 4 months later...