Trench Gun On Gunbroker

Ran across this Stevens 620 Trench Gun on Gunbroker. It looks like a real beauty to me. I'm thinking on making serious bids on it and I'm guessing it will take serious money to buy it. If any of you have thoughts on this firearm, I sure could use a critical eye on this piece. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333637292

Well , let's start at one end and go down .

The buttplate is brand new and is not fitted to factory specs , ergo , bubba-tized.

The stock appears new and is not close to being fitted to the reciever , ergo , bubba-tized.

The bbl has a correct handguard attached and has the markings split betwwen the two sides so as to be visable with the heatshield attached. Ie. , a correct trenchgun bbl assembly ......for a 520-30. The 620 serries had them on one side and partially covered by the shield . It is also fitted to the reciever in a poor fit , ergo not only bubba-tized , but SUPER bubba-tized with the inherent headspace issues.

Also the sling is not GI and is rivited on , and the sling swivel cutout does not look correct . Because they have no markings , I believe this is a non-trench gun replacement stock.

Still serious ?

Chris

• Upvote 1

yep, didnt really look too much at it the first time but that stock is later production and appears way too fat in the grip area. Way fatter than the stock on the 620's I've handled

and IF you look close, the stock has//was recently stained/ maybe a few coats of linseed oil CAUSE- that's paper towel fibers you see as the white fuzzies on it.

Quality of the stock looks like something Numrich would carry. No finish and oversized so you can fit it.

• Upvote 1

What they said, plus phillips head screws were a post war invention. They don't belong on a gun of this vintage. The seller did not mention or show the barrel assembly serial number. If I was selling the gun and the serials matched, I'd crow about it. Am not certain about the butt stock. An original 620 stock should be a bit larger than the receiver.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello members...fellow collector here and will be starting to add WWII trenchguns to my collection. Ive been researching the various mfg's and now am trying to access the value of various shotguns. I watched the above referenced 620 on gunbroker and it sold for $2401. Based on the comments a few made regarding it, how do you feel about the price that was paid for it?

Heat shield is worth some bucks . If you had a 520-30 and wanted a trench front half for it , some more bucks . A stach of spare parts if you use these or are a reinactor , even more bucks .

All of these , if fitted to someone with $$$ and had his eyes wide open , and the buyer is happy , who are we to say he paid too much ?

But as far as buying it to shoot or as an example of the type , it's about $2000 too high.

I bought a mint stock once....yes , stock and hardware only ....no gun. Paid $2,000 for it. Over paid ? Yes , but I had the proper gun to fit it into , and after I had done so , the value of the gun went from $4-5,000 to $10-15,000 . Was the stock worth $2,000 ? No. Was it a smart buy ? Yes.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...