Thompson Bibliography

I'd like to put together a bibliography of some of the more necessary Thompson books/publications. I don't have the Cox book, or some others, so I was hoping those who do might offer up the information. Title, author, publisher, pages, and even availability if that is know. Can you all help? I'll add this to the FAQ when complete.

Chris:

Would it be considered cheating if I just typed in some of the books offered in Mr. Richardson's catalog? He has all of the info you requested on several good books. Also, we shouldn't overlook his own publications.

I am more than willing to type the info, just didn't want to reivent the wheel if you already had that info.

Thanks,

Dave

Well, Doug's entire catalog itself is a great reference I was planning to add. However, I think some of his publications, such as the semi auto and drum guides, may deserve special attention.

Well, here is my two cents worth, then. As one of the moderators, feel free to delete this reply if you determine it has no redeeming value whatsoever.

American Thunder (See this site for information)

The Gun that Made the Twenties Roar; Helmer, hard cover, 302 pages. Out of print, I believe, but listed in Doug Richardson's catalog for $25.00. Also occasionally seen on Ebay or Half.com

Thompson: The American Legend, Tracie Hill, hard cover, 584 pages. Listed at $85 in Doug Richardson's catalog.

Last, but not least, Doug Richardson's THOMPSON: Offers You Can't Afford to Refuse catalog iteself, which lists all of the above and his own publications.

Send $5.00 for a Catalog to:

D.W. Richardson

2100 McReynolds Rd.,

Malibu, Ca 90265

I have occasionally been accused of being a master of the obvious, which is evidenced by the above post. I am interested in what everyone else has to add.

Splendid! Exactly what we need. Great start Dave!

Neat idea, guys. What about the Field Manuals that were available, the ones that are all models in one book? Are they still in print? I got mine in 1971, from "The Combat Bookshelf". I'll hunt around for more titles.

Also:

"The Thompson Submachine Gun", Roger A. Cox, Law Enforcement Ordnance Company, P.O. Box 1547 Athens, Georgia 30603 1982. OOP. Hardbound, 119 pages before the manuals & catalogs. Depending on condition can be had from $250 to $450.

"A Basic Manual of Military Small Arms", How to Load, Operate, Disassemble and Assemble) By W.H.B. Smith, The Telegraph Press, Harrisburg, PA. 1943, 4th Printing 1944. "Authorative Books For The Army since 1921." OOP. Old Book Stores?

"The Champlin Fighter Museum Catalog", Home of The American Fighter Aces Association and The J. Curtis Earl Automatic Weapons Collection. OOP. Soft cover 1991 Champlin Press. Museum moved to Seattle April, 2003. Earl's Collection went to Boise, Idaho Museum in 2001? Availability?

"Colt Thompson Serial Numbers", by Gordon Herigstad. 11163 Camarillo Street North Hollywood, CA. 91602., Currently In Third Edition. $295.

LOL Arthur, and I thought $85.00 was a hefty price when I ordered Tracie Hill's book about a year ago. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif It is definitely worth it (vast amount of information), though. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

A CD on the Colt and military M1 and 1928A1 Thompson Submachine Guns.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/secure/cd1.jpg

All are rare, original documents digitally enhanced. Disk includes;

1. Naval Ordnance Catalog 11/45 Section 9711. This is a rare U.S. Navy parts catalog that lists all the parts,

parts groups and sub-assemblies for the 1928,M1 and M1A1 Thompson. Complete with diagrams identifying the parts.

2. Base Shop Data, Rock Island Arsenal, M1928A1. Complete illustrated assembly and disassembly of the 1928

Thompson and its subassemblies Even includes instructions on disassembly-assembly of the trigger group, barrel and compensator.

3. Base Shop Data, Rock Island Arsenal, M1 Complete illustrated assembly and disassembly of the M1 Thompson and its

subassemblies Even includes instructions on the disassembly-assembly the trigger group, and barrel. Plus Much More!

Cost is $15.95 + $2.00 S&H Ordering Information

Guys, this is wonderful, exactly what I was hoping for. Great resources, and I'll edit them all togther into the FAQ soon. Thanks.

Don't know if this is helpful Chris,

There is a section in the book "Small Arms of the World", Smith and Smith, 1960, 1973,

Stackpole books, PA pages 671 through 676:

"The Thompson Caliber .45 Model 1928A1, M1 and M1A1 Submachine Guns"

Complete takedown, stripping and 50 round drum loading, etc...

Cheerio, Zamm

Rutgers Book Center has republished "The Gun That Made The Twenties Roar" for $22.45 at http://www.rutgersgunbooks.com/Thompson.shtml. This new addition has been updated with additional pages to include information on sem-auto replicas.