Cali laws and disintegrating links

StrangeRanger

I have an ad on Sturmgewehr for M13 links (for M60/M240.) There's a guy in Cali who has expressed interest but I am extremely hesitant to do the deal because of the Cali large cap magazine law. I've contacted the Cali DOJ for clarification but have not yet received a response. Does anyone know for certain whether it is legal for me to ship links to Cali? Or whether it is legal for him to receive/possess them?

One of my CA customers buys links from out of state for a .50 semi. Years back, he queried CADOJ if it was OK to receive loose links in quantity from out-of-state. CADOJ advised him to have the links shipped to him in small ten round bags. That way there is no possible confusion. He said that CADOJ did not state that this is the law but was only advisory as a precaution. FWIW

Here's the link to the legal description of the law.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=32310

Check out line B.

It does not explicitly state that links greater than 10 are illegal, however a belt is essentially a de facto magazine.

So I would say illegal!

Stuff like this is exactly why I left California 20 years ago!

Edited by maxfaxdude

From discussions with semi-MG owners in CA, possession of links that are not connected into a belt by live ammo or a cut belt of ten live rounds, such as Maxim, BMG, Vickers, etc, are legal in CA. I have a few customers in CA that own and shoot semi-auto MGs and all have loose links and fabric and metal belts cut to ten round capacity. It is lawful to have a ten round belt of live rounds but the eleventh is illegal.
At present, possession of quantities of loose links is not illegal. Not yet anyway. FWIW

• 2 weeks later...

Is it legal to buy a ten round round magazine? Or a five round magazine? What about five ten round magazines at once? Or 50 five round magazines at once? If so, I’d presume it’s also legal to 2500 one round magazines at once. A couple other random tidbits of thought... the onus of possession is on the buyer, not the seller, and Kalifornia isn’t opening and searching incoming mail.

My .02

I thought it was pretty strange that someone in the PRC (Peoples' Republic of California) would want to buy 1K links but a sale is a sale as long as it's legal on my end; I don't need any CA warrants with my name on them. I emailed the CA DOJ twice but received no reply and they do not answer the phone. With no input from them I passed on the deal

Apparently it's still being adjudicated

https://www.courthousenews.com/ninth-circuit-panel-skeptical-about-california-ban-on-big-gun-magazines/

But the judge who initially overturned the law stayed his own order pending the Appeals Court's Decision

https://www.courthousenews.com/judge-stays-his-own-order-to-allow-high-capacity-gun-magazines/

so it would appear to remain in effect for at least the time being. It could take years to settle.