Anyone attending the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot April 12&13th?

Thompsonlover

I plan on taking my son's to the event for the first time. Any tips for a newbe attending the event? I called the range to get some info and was told they are changing things up a little. The night shoots will be on Friday & Saturday nights.

Thanks Keith

Better get your reservations now if you have not already.

Crowds are not what they used to be so arriving 30 minutes or so before the gate opens will probably be a good planning point.

Weather, you never really know for sure so I pack for both a summer and winter trip.

Wear comfortable shoes.

Bring cash, most dealers will not take credit cards or checks.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to take him for a ride on American Huey 369. I took my oldest son to the last show. Loved every minute with him, showing him around the barn, riding on the bird and the night shoot. I'd like to take him again, but scheduling around school is usually the issue. Next-up will be my younger son....when he is a bit older....

Oh yeah, bring lots of cash...you never know what you will find.....

I'm a local and live within 5 miles of Knob Creek Range, and it's like my second home. I've been to all but a couple of machine gun shoots since 1986, so I've got a little experience. April in Kentucky can go from really warm to miserable cold in less than 12 hours, and I don't remember a night shoot that wasn't cold, so bring all the clothes you got. Bring lots of cash, you will want to spend it, and make sure it is secured to you at all times. If you drop your wad it will walk away. Wear comfortable shoes or boots that you don't mind getting a little dirty. Once you've paid your entry, you can go in and out of the gate so you can go back to your car for whatever. On your vehicle, bring a jug of water and a portable air compressor for your tires. If it's dry, your windshield will get dusty and you can wash the dust off without risking scratching the glass with the wipers. If it's wet, you may want to let a little air out of your tires so you can get traction in the mud. then air your tires back up when you get to the asphalt. There is a free shuttle service, so if you wind up in the lower lot or but some heavy stuff, you don't have to kill yourself getting it to your car.

If you have pets, DON'T BRING THEM for their sake.

Hearing protection is highly advisable. If you forget them, you can buy them in the shop. If your planning on renting a machine gun on the rental range or shooting at any of the matches, you will need eye and ear protection.

I will try to give a weather report the week of the shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

Weather report for this weekend. Thursday dry and in the 80s with winds picking up, it's supposed to storm Thursday night with winds 30 to 45 mph and possible gust to 65. Friday the rain ends, partly to mostly cloudy with lows in 40s and high in mid 60s, and windy. Saturday is pretty much like Friday except a little cooler with rain coming in Saturday night. Sunday, rain off and on.

I'm not a weatherman and we have 4 local stations and none of them agree, but being as this is Kentucky in April, you need to bring all the clothes you got, and assume it's going to rain, and be hot, cold, muddy, and dusty.

Hope this helps.

I will be there Friday. I'll be wearing a navy blue hat with a yellow Hawaiian hala tree on the front, which says "Punahou" on the back. It looks like this, and I'm pretty certain it will be the only one there.

HalaUnstructured_Cap.jpg

Please say hello if you notice the hat...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I will be there Friday. I'll be wearing a navy blue hat with a yellow Hawaiian hala tree on the front, which says "Punahou" on the back. It looks like this, and I'm pretty certain it will be the only one there.

HalaUnstructured_Cap.jpg

Please say hello if you notice the hat...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

You dont think Obama will be there? Will miss you guys. Stay dry, wet, hot, or cold. That was the best Ky forecast Ive seem.

Ron

Ill be there Friday night and Saturday morning with my two sons and a friends. If you seen me say Hi Ray and let me know who you are. Ill likely be wearing an Olmsted Armory gray shirt, but I might be hiding under a brown Carthart coat. :-)

• 4 months later...