F-4 Address Questions

The time has come where I am seriously considering selling my last Class 3 item, my WW-II AO USGI M-1A1 Thompson.

None of children or their spouses have a real desire or the ability to buy out their siblings out to inherit it. So I am planning to make it simple and sell my Thompson and all the spare parts and accessories. Cash is much simpler to divide in an estate. As I delve into the eventual sale I have some questions.

First, I can't remember if I ever filled a change of address with the ATF. My form 4 says my old address, which is served by the same Post Office, just a few miles away. So I did not change states. At the time of when I moved I sold all my other Class 3 to pay off part of the mortgage. All the other class 3 had the old address and cleared for sale over the first year or two I was in the new house. No issues.

Questions:

1. Should I have informed the ATF of the Change of location? I am assuming so but what I did I can't remember it is over 20 years ago.

2. What form? Should I inform them with?

3. Should I sell, how do I complete the Form 4? New Address I assume?

Thanks in Advance

Paul

Please don't construe this as legal advice as I am not a lawyer but sharing what I have done as a result of building a new home in my same city of residence.

You need to fill out ATF 5320.20 and submit in duplicate to ATF. While this form is normally used for temporary moves you can indicate the the change of address is permanent (Firearm to be returned to original location? - Y or N). In a couple of months you should receive one copy back from ATF.

Here are a couple of links that might help.

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form20/

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/application-transport-interstate-or-temporarily-export-certain-nfa-firearms-atf

If the hyperlinks don't work just Google "atf 5320.20"

I submitted mine by email. Under method of transport I listed personal vehicle. I got the approved form back in about three weeks.

The time has come where I am seriously considering selling my last Class 3 item, my WW-II AO USGI M-1A1 Thompson.

None of children or their spouses have a real desire or the ability to buy out their siblings out to inherit it. So I am planning to make it simple and sell my Thompson and all the spare parts and accessories. Cash is much simpler to divide in an estate. As I delve into the eventual sale I have some questions.

First, I can't remember if I ever filled a change of address with the ATF. My form 4 says my old address, which is served by the same Post Office, just a few miles away. So I did not change states. At the time of when I moved I sold all my other Class 3 to pay off part of the mortgage. All the other class 3 had the old address and cleared for sale over the first year or two I was in the new house. No issues.

Questions:

1. Should I have informed the ATF of the Change of location? I am assuming so but what I did I can't remember it is over 20 years ago.

2. What form? Should I inform them with?

3. Should I sell, how do I complete the Form 4? New Address I assume?

Thanks in Advance

Paul

Also a note that Intra-State (Inside State) residence moves do not require BATF Notification, it is strictly voluntary. When you sell your item under your current situation, you can simply indicate your current address on the respective transfer application form.