WWI Lewis Gun Canvas Cover Project

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hatrick

hatrick

• Regular Group
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

Does anyone have an actual WWI canvas Lewis gun cover?  I am working on a project to make some reproduction and need to find an original to pattern from.  The WWII Bren covers aren't close enough to even use to modify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Eric

#2 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

Is this what you're referring to?  Not sure if this is US, Briish, or Aussie as there are no markings anywhere and I'm not educated enough to analyze the closures to determine the origin.  It is made mostly of cloth and not webbing.  I'm not even 100% sure it's for a Lewis?   I do know I've never seen another in person.  HTH

Attached File  IMG_7916.JPG   153.83K   10 downloadsAttached File  IMG_7917.JPG   144.23K   12 downloads

#3 hatrick

hatrick

• Regular Group
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:47 AM

Fantastic!!!  That looks to be the one I am looking for.  Are you the owner?? 

I assume that one undone leather tab closure can close properly - just want to ensure proper fit.

#4 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 731 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:38 PM

Yes, it would close completely had I not been too lazy to remove the rear AA sight.   I don't recall where it came from and it's not for sale at this time.  Really, you should be able to form fit one to a gun as getting dimensions is not all that easy.  Sort of like taking your chubby little lewis girl to a seamstress, pinning it all up to fit, trimming the fabric and then sewing on the straps or in this case the leather is riveted.   There is another photo in a small arms review archive segment you can search out if you search lewis gun cover.  HTH

#5 1gewehr

1gewehr

• Regular Group
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Emma Gee, Lewis, Sterling, Chauchat, Marlin Digger

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

If you hear back from Pegasus Militaria, let us know so we can put together an order for more than one!  Thanks,