M16 Full Auto Forum

Robert Henley

Most likely it is enamel paint that dripped down. Colt (and others) used this process to set the roll pin on the bolt catch as well as to prevent rust in the staked areas of the castle nut on the receiver extension. A sign of authenticity in my view...

Colt%2520M16A1%2520Carbine%2520Bolt%2520

Colt%2520M16A1%2520Carbine%2520Stake%252

Edited by nuge

Hi,

And not to be forgotten are the C&R M16's. Ok. They are marked Colt Armalite AR-15 but they did sort of start the ball rolling. Real deal MG's before the military adopted the M-16. The forward push pin is a bit different but at least it is in the right location!

Advantage of the C+R's is while you have an active C&R you can go to friendly states w/o a 5320.20!

Grasshopper

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking with the current wait times for BATF approval, I'll keep my eyes open here in Florida unless I see a C&R gun which could transfer directly to me. There seem to be plenty of M16's around. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for one.

Thanks, Robert

• 1 year later...
Actually, since there is a forum for about every other gun on this site, a dedicated M16 one might be nice. Arf.com has too much traffic and noise and posts disappear. This site seems to me the best site I've found for friendly discussion, knowledgeable people, and lack of squirrels.

Waffen Und Bier,

I've resisted adding an M16 full auto only forum, although I agree that it would probably be well received here. The reason I've not added it is that I'm friends with the owner of Uzitalk, and we have sort of a gentleman's agreement to not add new forums that are already covered on each other's site. That's why there's no Thompson forum on Uzitalk. I have an interest in MACs, S&W Model 76's, HK's, and M16's, but Uzitalk already has good forums for each. I sometimes post in the MAC, HK, and SW 76 forums over there. We do have an overlap on Stens and Reisings, but those forums already existed here when I acquired the site in 2008.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks David for that bit of info. I am in the market for an mp5, may have found one, and was wondering why there was no forum here discussing the different variations.

The HKPRO site is pretty good for that type of info. I see Davids point in not reinventing the wheel. Did you have specific MP5 questions?

Bob D

The PDW is actually an MP5K Which was made from an SP89 pistol. I prefer the full size MP5 either A2 or A3 configuration and of those two, I shoot my gun as an A2 just about all the time. It's not as "cool" but it's far more accurate for me. I have an M16 and I like to shoot it as a 9MM. It's not as smooth as the H&K but it's quick and very easy to handle. All my stuff is Colt and H&K. Parts are available but I rarely need to replace anything. You can't go wrong with either platform but they ain't cheap. Try to shoot these guns or at least handle them before laying out cash. Where are you located?

Bob D

Bug has it correct, the MP5 is the Cadillac of modern submachineguns. As stated you cant go wrong with either platform. I own 2 HK MP5's and a HK MP5SD and the Colt 9mm SMG . I would purchase the HK MP5 platform over the Colt 9mm every time even though the Colt 9mm is a great addition to a collection. The HK MP5 in all its forms is the finest SMG I have owned . The Colt 9mm is a fun gun to shoot but the heavy bolt is noticeable during firing and hard on the weapon over time. The one thing I like about the 9mm SMG is the muscle memory of the M16 platform. I love the M16 !!

I've owned numerous MP-5's over the years. All but 1 were registered receiver push pin guns including

my MP5-PDW. The push pin allows the use to switch lowers (SEF,Navy,burst,etc) very easily.

All of mine had the 3 lugged barrels as well as the paddle mag release.

I also owned an original Colt 635 9mm (M-16 variant) as well.

I'd take the MP5 full size with the A3 stock over the M16 anytime

Thanks for all the replies. The mp5-pdw, mp5a2 or a3 I'm looking at are all terry dyer conversion guns with the paddle mag release, lugged barrels, and the multiple firing selections. They are good looking guns, just leaned towards the compactness of the pdw. I've shot the mp5a2, and very controllable with the stock like Bob said. As far as current market prices, is about 30-31k a fair price for a dyer conversion mp5-pdw with the sear pack. Thanks

Are these sear guns or registered receivers?
Price seems about right for push pin registered receiver guns

but a little high for sear guns.

A sear is now mid to upper 20's I'd guess plus a few thousand for a host

Seems like it should be sub $30,000

Then again the last MP-5 I bought was my Billistics registered receiver gun

for $10,000

Yes they are sear guns. From what I've gathered, registered receivers are pretty rare, and most are pre-86 anyway. I believe Terry Dyer did one of the best conversions out there. So if the sear is upper 20's, then at least a few thousand for a host gun, I guess the 30-31 range is not out of the norm for price. You agree?

I have 2 MP-5's that I've owned since the late 1980's. To be absolutely correct, they are converted HK-94's, with sequential serial numbers. One is set up in A3, and the other in A2. I prefer the A2 stock. It's the most accurate submachine gun I've ever encountered. I've never had any problems with either of them, except for the time that we let someone shoot it about 25 years ago with their own ammo...barrel got slightly bulged by a squib round. It still shoots fine, and I have a replacement barrel, but never have had it fixed. Lesson learned about letting someone shoot it at a MG shoot with unknown ammo...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com