Split the Thompson Boards?

Should each model Thompson have its own separate message board??  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should each model Thompson have its own separate message board??

• YES - Create a new forum for each model.
    • No - Leave as is dummy!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard enough keeping up with all the posts here sometimes, much less having to bounce around seven or eight separate catagories. Beside, a lot of the info here, say woodwork or gunsmithing, applies to all the guns.

I would say a full auto and a semi auto board would be a great idea. That would be a sensible separation.

Making a forum for the 1921 Colts and Navy 28, one for the early and late 28 Savage, M1, and M1A1, the two hurley models, commeratives and all, would be too much, but the semi autos are a different breed.

My two cents.

Jr

The Thompson board is becoming, or has become, increasingly unmanagable trying to accomodate everything from MGC Thompson's to Kahr's to West Hurley's to Savage's to Bridgeport's, and then to the lowely Colt. At least seperate the boards into full auto and semi, if separation by manufactured dates 1921 to 1944 , and then 1954 to the present is too unpopular among members. I mean the poor BAR board is divided into two categories , and that board doesn't get near the hits of the Thompson board. Guys it is not that difficult to click your mouse on another board. If all of you managed to make it through the transition board door, I have confidence you all could handle separate Thompson boards. Since the old board would remain static, it is not as if one needs to constantly check that board for new posts anyway.

Problem is, there are many things (Gunsmithing, Ect.) that applies to both the Semi Auto, and the FA. Why have that info Posted on the SA board, or the FA board?? It would be too confusing. And really, what would be the point of it all anyways? Those who Post on the FA board would Post on the SA board! No, this is to much! Between eBay, Sturmgewehr, Subguns, Ect that I view everday, I don't want to have to check two different boards on the FA and SA Thompson; when in fact, they can be presented on the same board. It's worked out fine, and it always will. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

The problem is that the boards have been somewhat overtaken by semi, and late model Thomspon's. I think that there really exists a following for both, but the full auto collector/enthusiast may not necessarily want to wade through all the other posts, and the semi collector may be of the same mind. It would not make the boards more frustrating to use, it would make them more user friendly. It is not as if the boards would exist in different web sites. Don't many of you visit the BAR or Grease Gun boards on occasion?

If the fact that some do opt out of reading non full auto posts, or vice a versa, then why not actually place the posts according to the subject matter on separate boards? The only concern I can fathom here is that there would be a record of users for the different boards and one, or the other, might be considerably greater, or fewer, than the other board. So be it. It's all good. How come the BAR fans are not up in arms about their board spliting?

I'm sure at least 99.9% of the Folks who view the Thompson Posts, view everything anyways. Whether it's information on a Colt '21/ West Hurley '28, or the Kahr '27 Guns. I myself, read ALL of the Posts presented here on the Thompson Message Board. Why go to another Board for SA info, or FA info? Look at my Post on Project "X". Almost 3000 folks viewed those pages.

Yes, but the readers would understand that the "Project X" would only be found on the semi board. That would make it easier for them to find once the post rolls over many pages back. Since there would be fewer non semi posts on that board, it would be easier to find that particular post. It is not as if Nick would be setting a precedent since the BAR boards already split. As you point out, those concerned will find posts interesting to them, only with a separate board. they will know exactly where to go. Some of the titles and subtitles of posts are ambiguous, and could refer to either semi or auto. Let's experiment and see what happens?

I say we keep it like it is. Categories sometimes separate people and ideas. As an example, how many of you ever posted an unrelated topic on a more popular forum, simply because you knew it wouldn't get read on the less frequented category. I know it is any easy thing to flip between Full Auto and Semi sections, but I think it would make a lot of new members (usually semi) feel more a part of the big picture if it is all together.

I don't see how semi auto collectors/owners would feel disenfranchised when they seem to be the majority of members. Even at Sturmgewehr and Subguns there are catagories for NFA guns and non NFA guns, as well as for parts. As far as unrelated topics, that is why Nick created the off topic/general information boards on the old site. Now that this board is relatively new, why not make the board more topic specific?

I agree with Devlin and the others -- just leave it alone! I own a 27A1 but hope to someday own a 28. In the meantime, I have learned -- and am learning -- a lot about the FA guns. For some, due to their State laws, semi is the only option they have; for others semi is only the first step to FA. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! Thanks for the hard work, Nick!

Rick

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif I'm in total agreement with Lionheart and the others who say. "If it ain't Broke, Don't screw with it"! We've got a great thing going here, an open exchange of ideas, opinions, historical facts, and information that you can't find anywhere else, along with a friendship that has grown up between total strangers that have a common passion, the Thompson Sub Machinegun, in ALL the forms it has taken, from its beginnings in the Colt factory to the present day creations coming ot of Kahr Arms and all those inbetween. Don't fragment this great group of enthusiasts.

Just my "Two-Bit"s worth

I read all posts and like the board the way it is. I live in the Class 3 challenged state of Washington so I own semi-auto Thompsons. I've gotten help from some of the full squirt guys here that may not have seen my requests for help if they were forced to choose between an FA or SA board due to time constraints on the net. My opinion, FWIW.

Nick,

I voted NO because, as others have said, I think a board for each model would be difficult for you and us. However, I can see value to separating the FA and SA posts. I tend to check everything anyway, but my prime interest is FA at this time.

Let's leave it as it is. Nick has enough to do - what with riding that rice burner, running the boards and selling T-shirts. He doesn't need to work two boards.

Ps. I ride a Kawi and a V-Rod. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Poprivit,

What kind of Kaw do you have? I had a KZ 1300 for a while and loved it. Nothing like seeing a 6 cylinder shaft drive bike stand up on the rear tire!Now my Ultra Classic won't do that, but that sure was fun and fast. Kind of miss those days.

http://www.homestead.com/mikehensley/files/Me_in_tux2.jpg