.22 Conversion for M1

Merle is unable to continue in the business . He may have some kits left that someone will ship out for him to you . Read the " Help with Merle " post below to become familiar with the situation . Otherwise it would be a WTB add here for a used one someone has . Be aware , though , that the price may be steep . I have two myself , but I don't think I'd let one go for a fist full of dollars .

Good luck , Chris

You are on the right track in looking for a Merle kit. Any Merle bolt can be used in both the 21 and 28's,

and also used in the M1/M1A1 with only the addition of the Merle .22 side cocking knob,

and the shorter muzzle nut (The same short barrel nut is used on all Ring Sight/No Cutts barrels).

There are other .22 kits from (Jonathan Arthur) Ceiner, sometimes referred to as JAC.

The JAC kits were originally made with an all aluminum bolt, and are extremely fast running. MG42 fast.

The Merle kits got their origin as an improvement on the JAC kits, adding a steel plate on the bottom.

This plate slowed the ROF to around a normal 28 rate.

A JAC bolt can be converted to a Merle type bolt, but I'm not aware of anyone offering this now,

unless it would be Dan "Deerslayer" Block -found on this board.

Maybe Dan will comment on this.

Black Dog Machine is still offering the .22 LR magazines at a super bargain price. http://blackdogmachinellc.net/thompson-22.aspx

Anyone with a kit, or thinking about a kit, should realize this is the only company manufacturing these magazines.

If your name is Beto O'Rourke, I will part with one magazine in a very special offer -but you will have to take delivery in person.

Edited by mnshooter

If the only option is jac kit, I can add a plate to the bottom if you wish. That will give it weight as mentioned above and also give it a better sear area is the aluminum will wear over time. I like the black dog machine mags for shooting, I also make 50 round drums adapted from the ppsh mag... I also do have one jac straight mag for looks and it does work really well.

If the only option is jac kit, I can add a plate to the bottom if you wish. That will give it weight as mentioned above and also give it a better sear area is the aluminum will wear over time. I like the black dog machine mags for shooting, I also make 50 round drums adapted from the ppsh mag... I also do have one jac straight mag for looks and it does work really well.

PM sent

With Merle "retired" you would think Ceiner would be the option.Well last SAR show John had a table but most of his inventory was odds and ends. He told me he was done with manufacturing new 22 conversion kits and most of his machinery was worn out.

Hi All,

FWIW, I tried to purchase several kits from JAC about a year ago along with some spare parts like extractors. He wrote me a very nice note indicating he didn't have enough parts to complete additional Thompson kits and returned my payment.

At that time I realized that Merle was pretty much out of the business and my only hope for a starting point for kits were the JAC kits.

Take care,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

Anyone know if Merle actually made the 22 kits or if he subcontracted the manufacture and Merle handled the sales???

If Merle subcontracted the manufacture then all one needs to do is identify the maker and commit to buying 25 kits from him.

YOU could be the next Merle.

Jim C

For what it is worth I talked to Blackdog Machine LLC shortly after they manufactured the first batch of kits that came in the black delrin/plastic case. Blackdog LLC told me they were not going to manufacture anymore Thompson Conversion kits but would continue to produce .22 magazines. I did manage to buy a bolt nose and other conversion kit small parts from Blackdog Machine LLC.

From my understanding Merle then manufactured kits after Blackdog Machine LLC initial run of kits and also made some modifications to Blackdog Machine LLC kits such as taking some thousands off the bottom of the bolt and modifying the barrel insert as to not have to remove the ejector for installation. If your search the forums there is a thread where TD. has spoken to Merle where there is a mention of unassembled kits that Merle still had. My rule of thumb is if there is something Thompson related being manufactured in small numbers by an individual or small company it best to buy it while available if interested as there is no guarantee of it being available in the future. Think Merle Bitikofer drum repair services and .22 kits, PK's Thompson products, Greg Fox hard cases and Doug Richardson tools and products.

Edited by Bridgeport28A1
  • Upvote 1