USGI Parts for WH Thompson

I am new member with my first post. I just received my tax stamp and took possession of my M1 WH Thompson, based on the serial number it was manufactured in early 1986. I have contacted PK and am on his list. In the mean time I already purchased a GI bolt and was attempting to buy "Original US WWII Thompson M1 SMG PartsSet with Barrel" from IMA but they are SOLD OUT and after calling them they said they do not anticipate getting any back in stock in the foreseeable future. I do see that they do still have in stock a parts set for the M1928A1. Question would I be able to use the Lower Receiver, Detachable Stock etc... from the 1928 parts set in my M1 and then (hopefully) sell the parts I don't need. Thanx for any help.

Trigger frames and receivers from ww2 1928s and M1s are interchangeable and will fit fine. The rear corners of the trigger frame will not match up perfectly for either swap though as they both have different profiles.

So it should work fine with a WH as well I would think as they are (supposed to be) the same exact dimensions as ww2 receivers and trigger frames.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Andrew

You could always buy all the parts for a USGI m1 separately rather than a 1928 parts kit, you could probably buy a M1 Trigger frame and stock set and get a NOS M1 barrel for almost half of the price of a 1928 parts kit, just a suggestion it's your gun you can do what you want

New member,

Before you blow a bunch of money why not see if anything is needed.

First of all does it shoot.

Second of all what parts are in the gun now. Could be it already has WW2 parts.

Third of all, the big issue the WH 28's is the Blish locks slots. Your M1 doesn't have a Blish locks. You may not need PK.

The M1 is a much simpler SMG and the M1A1 is even better.

If you take my advise and find that you have saved thousands of dollars , you may want to reward me by sending me a check for 50% of your savings.

I'll be glad to send my mailing address.

Jim C

PS why not request all WH M1 owners to chime in here with the problems they didn't have.

Edited by jim c 351

I have one that I currently don't have on a display gun if you're interested, it's a savage m1 Trigger frame, I can post some pictures tonight if you would like, and if you don't want the one I have I could get you a different one it would just take a couple weeks

Congratulations on your purchase. And welcome to the Board!

Agree with jim c 351. Why spend money to replace parts without first seeing if the combination of parts you have with your M1 West Hurley Thompson work. That said, replacing the WH bolt was a very smart move. Now see if the Thompson works. PK will more than likely bring the WH trigger frame into proper specification - just like the receiver. I suggest taking your time with this process. I suspect more problems with the WH barrel than the trigger frame. And that is something PK can replace quickly with one of his barrels.

Hi jim c 351 yes I have taken it to the range several time. It came with about 10 magazines and I have tested most of them. If I hold the magazine on the bottom it will fire about 3-5 rounds and then jam. Without holding the bottom of the magazine it either wont fire at all or the magazine falls out. I have perused the boards extensively and read about all the WH magazine lock issues and differing magazine manufacturers. I have not gone through all my magazines to try and figure out what brands I have. I have ordered a new GI Magazine catch and was planning on my next move if that did not solve the problem. My thinking was to replace the Trigger Housing with USGI. If I had to get the 1928 part set I would just keep the Trigger Housing and re-sell most of the upper receiver parts.

1952 HRA I would very much like to see some picture of the Savage TH you have. Thanx

New member,

My WW2 AO 28a1 arrived with a broken mag catch spring. Mags would fall out. Had to make a difficult decision whether to replace the entire trigger frame group or just replace the spring. Guess what I chose.

A 28 trigger group would fire cartridges, but look like shit without extensive work.

The only mags I had trouble with, falling out, were 30 rd Crosby's. Is that what you have.

Suggest you strip the gun and start talking and posting pictures of every part. Fill in all letters with white grease pencil. Also take pics of the hole in rear of mag.

Perhaps then we could be of more help.

Jim C

PS I have a spare parts kit for all 3 of my guns and so far the only part I used was a mag catch spring. I spent a lot of money for no good reason.

Edited by jim c 351

Hi jim c 351 yes I have taken it to the range several time. It came with about 10 magazines and I have tested most of them. If I hold the magazine on the bottom it will fire about 3-5 rounds and then jam. Without holding the bottom of the magazine it either wont fire at all or the magazine falls out. I have perused the boards extensively and read about all the WH magazine lock issues and differing magazine manufacturers. I have not gone through all my magazines to try and figure out what brands I have. I have ordered a new GI Magazine catch and was planning on my next move if that did not solve the problem. My thinking was to replace the Trigger Housing with USGI. If I had to get the 1928 part set I would just keep the Trigger Housing and re-sell most of the upper receiver parts.

1952 HRA I would very much like to see some picture of the Savage TH you have. Thanx

John andrewski has a much better turn around time. I've had tremendous results from him.

The work he did for me was poor and I had to have it redone.

I know another customer with the same complaint.

Similar experience

Edited by huggytree

Did you get a good deal on the WH?? Did the seller tell you it's basically a single shot thompson geez

Is the seller known? Did you ask if it had a guarantee? Ive seen more and more on GB list their guns with no guarantee they run. A new trend. Sell crap and walk away

But then its not the first WH with issues. Endless posts on its problems.

Edited by huggytree

Read Jim's post... it is a M1 Westie! The receiver is really hard to screw up. I doubt the receiver needs to be worked on, or even has any issues. I encourage anyone to post here if they have a West Hurley M1 receiver that needed work. I have seen a 250,000 round receiver that worked fine, and only welded 4 times (that one does not count...!).

Maybe replacing the lower is not a bad idea, I suggest to have a spare parts kit around. I have several, and again as Jim said - I almost never used the parts (except a 28 bolt). I just like the look of a GI lower on a Westie - personal preference.

Edited by giantpanda4

It was a local sale where I knew the seller. I knew that there would be issues and it was priced appropriately. I don't think there is anything significantly wrong and the receiver appears to be in pretty good shape (no wear marks or erosion, no cracks, no extraneous welds). From what I have read during the last year waiting on my tax stamp I think it is just WH tolerance issues. Again from what I have read sometimes replacing the magazine release fixes the problem others had to replace the trigger frame others started filing and fixed the problem (not ready for that). I did look at the magazines I have. Some have no manufacturers logo but most are Sinclair's which I heard were pretty good.

I thought that the issue with WH M1s is that the mag area of the receiver was cut too shallow.

So the solution involved re-machining the receiver a little.

OP,

You should absolutely not buy a 28 kit to use on an M1.

That would just be a waste of your money.

Bide your time, do some hunting and you'll soon find an M1 kit.

Edited by buzz

If the mags work better when you hold them up from the bottom they are

positioned too low. when you say rhey won't feed at all unless you do this

then I wonder if it is possible thst you have mags that have been modified

for a semi auto. They would be positioned about a tenth of an inch too low

and the bolt would not be able to strip the cartridges. If the holes for the

catch in the mag are oval shaped instead of round they are semi mags.

I am not saying this is your problem for sure but its easy to check.

Bob