Early Clamp-On Blank Adapter Sighting in Film

Found this while looking for photos of double-action Colt revolvers in films to post in a Facebook group I run. Anyway, I spotted this and thought you all might like to see it.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Somewhere_in_France#M1921A_Thompson

• Upvote 1

There were less conspicuous blank adapters in use by the motion picture industry in the US. However, those required permanent barrel modification, counterboring the muzzle and threading the adapter in. This clamp-on design was probably intended for military and police training applications and function testing/demonstration without live ammunition.

What is the square looking one on that famous black and white clip for somebody shooting a Thompson out of a car it looks like a 21 Barrel without the cutts compensator but there is a square thing that sort of clamped on top of it or behind it?

That's the same one seen in the link above. (Photos below).

post-258340-0-85550600-1516239862_thumb.jpg

post-258340-0-79541300-1516239863_thumb.jpg

post-258340-0-43409900-1516239863_thumb.jpg

What is the square looking one on that famous black and white clip for somebody shooting a Thompson out of a car it looks like a 21 Barrel without the cutts compensator but there is a square thing that sort of clamped on top of it or behind it?

I remember that one, too.

Looked like they were shooting at metal beer containers.

Here's the square one from the old film clip that was mentioned.

Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer
  • Upvote 1

On 1/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, Arthur Fliegenheimer said:

Another blank firing device used on TSMG in 1967 "The Avengers" UK show

attachicon.gif001.JPG attachicon.gif002.JPG attachicon.gif003.JPG

Arthur, Avengers was a favorite of mine back in those days. The episode with the Thompson was "EPIC". The fella holding the gun, Peter Wyngarde. That was a great episode. It was always a treat to see the then slinky and luscious Diana Rigg prance around in one of skin tight catsuits doing Karate.

Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer

Arthur, Avengers was a favorite of mine back in those days. The episode with the Thompson was "EPIC". The fella holding the gun, Peter Wyngarde. That was a great episode. It was always a treat to see the then slinky and luscious Diana Rigg prance around in one of skin tight catsuits doing Karate.

Mike Hammer

Mike,

Wyngarde followed up this episode with another Thames Television show "Department S." He was also in the 1966 "The Avengers" black and white episode that was considered to randy for U.S. market.

post-110-0-66953400-1516667948_thumb.jpg

On 1/22/2018 at 7:06 PM, Arthur Fliegenheimer said:

On 1/22/2018 at 6:22 PM, giantpanda4 said:

Purdy.....

Oddly enough that was the name of the female agent in the 1976 TV show "The New Avengers" as played by Joanna Lumley. Both Lumley and Rigg were in 1969 Bond film OHMSS.

And here is the lovely lady herself, Joanna Lumley as "Purdey". I liked "The new Avengers" but it didn't hold a candle to the original series.

Arthur, that's a great screen capture of Rigg in the famous costume that she herself designed for that episode.

Alright you Avenger fans, did you know that Diana Rigg was not the 1st choice for the role of Emma Peel. Actress Elizabeth Shepherd was hired for and actually filmed one and a half episodes and then was suddenly given the heave-ho by the producers. She informed me that they re-shot those episodes with Rigg taking her place and that she has never seen the footage of her playing Emma, it's likely the films have been destroyed. It would have been interesting to see her in the role though.

Here's another shot of Rigg in her outfit from the show's opening credits. I had a huge crush on her, (as did most every male on the planet at that time). Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer

Mike and Arthur, thank you very much for your enlivening contributions to the thread.

Big Al, (It's not Mr.Capone is it?) it's always a pleasure to show gals and guns. I mean, what else is there?

Mike Hammer