For Colt Lovers Only Not Thompson Related

I dont want to take up Thompson space but I thought I would let you guys no first about a virgin colt sp1 with box and all accessories still in factory packaging 2 matching 20 rd mags just as it came from colt in the early 80s if I'm correct. A friend of mine is selling it and wants me to list it for him because he doesnt have a computer. He knows what he has and will not let it go unless he gets asking price. As you know this is the small pin receiver so if you have a legally registered drop in sear you are all set. This gun is out of my league so if any of you colt lovers have $2300.00 plus shipping and insurance to a ffl drop me a message. Just to clarify the accessories are still in packages the gun has been removed from the bag.

I to am a colt lover and at the present time my wh27a1 is residing at the health and bueaty spa in Delta, CO getting some of that 21 look applied to it. I cant imagine what its like to actually have the real thing in the gun cabinet.

Glad he knows what he has and hopes he likes it because he will never get that kind of money out of it. SP1 don't have any of the features of the A2 models, including forward assist, adjustable rear sights, and they have the light weight barrels. NIB is good but not worth that much cash IMHO.

I agree with Chopper on that one. You can find the Sp1 listed for around $1400 price range. I doubt that would include the box though. Here is one I saw recently for a lot less:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976384215.htm

I can't speak for how much the virgin quality and box would be worth beyond the usual listed prices.

I have to agree 110% with Chopper. A friend of mine just sold one in 95% Cond. two months ago for $800.00 after offering it to me. Of course it wasn't NIB, nor didn't have the original Box. Your Buddy is way off on price, and I can't see anyone, other than a Collector silly enough to pay that..Considering New Bushmasters/Rock River Arms, Ect AR15's can be had for less than $900.00 these days, your Friend will have it for another 20+ Years...SGT..$1400.00 is way to much also...

I also think he is out of line on his price and tried to tell him that. I currently own several colts and the only person that will buy an sp1 is someone who wants the sp1 features,( most notable is the small pin reciever), a vet or reenactor. As far as comparing bushys and armalites to a colt well thats a whole other topic and page . I'd like to get a LEO marked colt government carbine to complement my preban but they are jacked up just because of the marking. I will say that when at the range the thompson (semi) gets a lot more looks then the ar's do. If he does sell it (will probably be on guns america in a week or so) I'll keep you posted.

M1Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I am a box and accessory nut, but the mentioned 1980s SP1 is not worth that much in my opinion. Were it a first year SP1 in such condition, that would ba a bargain from what I have seen such early SP1 guns bring. Just a "Comanche" manual (before the "Sporter" name was adopted) that came with the first SP1 rifles will bring $500 and up, depending on condition.

However, every once in a while, someone does pay these prices, either out of ignorance or to finally get something he or she has always wanted, with money no object. After all, "only" $1,000 extra is not much if one has spent a lot of time desiring and looking for a particular piece. Driving hundreds of miles and trudging gun show isles weekend after weekend for a couple of years looking for a NIB SP1 may make that extra $1,000 seem cheap to someone just to finally get it overwith.

Sold 2 VERY nice SP1's over the week-end at the show for $1050. Both had been shot but it was hard to tell from new. No scratches or marks. I think there is 1 left.