Some comments on this MP40

Seems like a good buy for an early mp40 thats all matching, minus the barrel nut. Like some have said, if its a nice weapon youre better off selling at one of the auction houses like Julias rather than gb. But if youre in the market for an mp40 the 660 code is generally desirable.

Pet 1,

For what's it's worth, I have an all matching FXO 41 Vet Bring back from the Bulge, but if I didn't,

I would be a bidder on this one, it's a nice nearly all matching gun,

and the price is fair, in my opinion

(and I don't know the seller)

Good luck if you decide to bid on it!

Edited by azboater

There was a similar one (non-matching) on GB that sold for $18,500:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/703000430

I've seen items not sell and then when relisted and someone bids the price takes off, so timing can be significant. All it takes is two people who want it, and the price can go up sharply. The time to buy is when there are no other bidders.

It would be worth looking at if you can make a trip to LV.

If those pouches are original they are worth quite a bit. My guess on the magazines is $100 to $150 each and a nice original mag loader another $150.

Appears to be a pretty nice package. Of course, I'd research the gun and the seller carefully.

Seems like nothing special there. Original mags thats about it a shooter grade MP-40, only thing is nice Steyr 660 code.

early gun. Which seem harder to find today but pay a 4 or 5 grand premium for that. Why Bother.

COLT21A Ron

• 3 weeks later...

im glancing at this gun for myself......seems like its been listed for a month w/o any buyers at $19,500

my concern is the finish wear....buyer says 85%, but the pics look much worse...i know from some limited research that the finish this gun has is normal for its age and originality....

i see the numbers 545 and 3545.......i see no letter, so am i to assume this is either the 545 or 3545 gun made by Steyr?....why is there a 3 in some places others not

what kind of an offer after a month would ''not'' be insulting on this gun...i see he is age 73 and from my experience dealing with older/individual sellers is that there is 0 bargaining room.....you have to sit back and wait for them to realize it and lower the price......or maybe they dont care and will let it sit for 6 months until it sells....ive asked the seller for some more info and if he guarantees function......i think it would look very nice next to my Thompson.....

anyone know this seller?

i may start the conversation just by asking if he is open to offers....id like the gun, but not at the current price

thanks

Edited by huggytree

Also ask tube and lower fit for no play in it, Nothing worse on a MP-40 is that play, also ask stock wobble to and how it locks up when closed I can tell you ten things to look for. but those two are main ones along with barrel interior shape. if pits and rust let him keep it.There are many out there don't buy one because you want one and grab at anything. Since after a year or so you will stare at it and say I need to upgrade!

Anda better one turns up and you have $18 cash sitting there in that iron. And sometimes some Collectors like to have FREEDOM of cash to wheel and deal. good luck Colt21aRon

Ive asked for a pic of the bore

Ill ask the other 2 questions

It has to be a 68 registration correct ?

Seller is responsive but not overly friendly

Probably lots of people wasting his time so when a semi serious buyer comes he doesnt know to be less rude.

My gut says this guy wont bargsin so it will probably sit

Never know.

Im in no hurry. I may grab an erb or Wilson tube as petro1 just got a nice one for $12,000. One concern I have with spending $18-$19k based on originality is I plan to shoot it. Any issues or damage and the originality could be wrecked. I dont want a museum piece to just look at. I like original finish and parts but I also want to shoot it 1000 rounds a year. Its probably smarter to look for a tube

Edited by huggytree

Huggy, sure I shoot my Wilson more, but I have an original, very nice 660 code as well. I swap out the matching bolt and recoil spring and have no issues shooting it once in a while. Fortunately, 9mm doesnt put much stress on a firearm to begin with.

No more pics from the seller.

Also. No warranty. Not even a 48 hour function warranty. You could buy this matching number gun and have worn parts needing replacement on day 1. Possibly making it no longer a number matching gun. Guess maybe it explains no bids for 1 month.

Mp40s dont seem all that hard to find. Ill wait for another or if this one goes on fire sale Ill jump

This risk just has to be included in the offer price.

I recently bought a msc11a1 locally that did not run well. Im betting its the mag but I offered low enough to cover a repair if needed.

If the gun runs I dont get why a 48 hour test period is s big deal. All the trust is on the seller wo a guarantee. A recent video would also be nice to have. Show a newspaper to prove the date and blast 4 mags through the gun

Want top dollar ? Being rude , not even have a pic of the bore Abd no guarantee. Not a way to sell a gun. If/when I sell any of mine Ive decided to pay for a professional photographer. I think youd get your $$ back in higher bids. So many sellers have poor photos and not enough of them

Edited by huggytree

I've never seen anyone sell a MG with a function warranty other than back in the day with "new" guns. These are all sold as "collectibles" as is. Unless the seller specifically agrees on a case by case basis, or offers to demo it in person that's it. NONE of the auction houses warranty any function. Due to transfer times even the condition warranty often doesn't apply because of the timeframes. MG's can be person specific as to whether they work or not just due to how some people hold them. Factor in ammo, stupidity, cleanliness, etc., how can you expect any seller to warranty an old used item once it leaves his hands?

Ever wonder why matching numbered German guns bring a high premium? Or why there are more matching number lugers today than there were in 1945?

I can easily make a 100% functioning M11 in my garage, what I cannot make is May 1986 registration, which as we now know can be priceless! Buy the paper, not the gun. Guns can be fixed, paper cannot.

I have seen guys pay 6 figures for guns I know don't function.

Edited by johnsonlmg41