Thompson's In Afghanistan

Well, it seems that the Thompson is still in use today. My son reports that among the weapons captured in Afghanistan are several Thompson SMG's. He say's some of the troops have "appropriated" the tommy's and carry them on patrol, slinging their M4's.

He said they were a mix of M1A1's and M1928's....I wonder how long these weapons have been there and how they happened to find their way to Afghanistan. WW II left overs or supplied by an arms dealer? Any thoughts?

Steve

PS He said there are an estimated 10 million land mines in the ground in Afghanistan. One BN made a night jump into Afghanistan and in the morning found themselves in a field of anti-tank mines as he put it "as far as the eye could see." Only provedence kept a paratrooper from setting one off in the dark and daisy chaining the entire field. Scary place.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it was Lend Lease. Small arms trafficking has flourished for centuries in that part of the world. It's even possible that the Thompsons are copies. Pakistanis make incredible counterfeits, unfortunately, they're often from pot iron. I've examined a few, and if I hadn't been tipped off, I might not have noticed that they were copies. I used to own a .303 SMLE, and the copy I handled was almost perfect.

I wish the best of luck for your son. (I have a cousin in Baghdad.)

Deputy 89C6

Photo's would be great!

Somewhere I have one laying about from a friend

in Nam of a group of grunts. One is wearing a pirate's hat

and has an M1 Tommy... I'll post if I can dig it up.

Best to everyone over there!

Zamm

• 3 weeks later...
I'm interested in seeing the photo's also. I talked to a solder by phone in Iraq Monday about 1 PM EST. He advised me it was about 9PM over there. They had been in three battles that day. One lasting three hours, one an hour , and one five minutes. He was wore out. I ask him about Thompsons being found and used over there. He said that his group of Marines have taken a few Thompson's from some of the prisoners and off the dead ones also. They have one that they would - go out back and shoot. He said they don't carry it in the field. Not enough ammo. The pistols are now 9mm and the rifles are 223 I believe. I ask him to take as many pictures as he could for me, so I could post them here on this site. I don't know when I might get them. I thanked him for what he was doing and may God bless him and all the troops.

I don't currently have any way to post photo's as all commo is by snail mail.

Hopefully the 2/505th PIR will be coming home from Afghanistan next week from their election security detail...shoot....we might need them for election security here the way things are looking.

Will post any Tommy details as I receive them.

Steve