Colt Potato Digger Ammo Box Question

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (obviously), firearms of all types, US militaria, knives and edged weapons, naval vessels, aircraft, playing music...the list goes on.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:06 PM

That was a great help! Thank you! Poking around the board, I found the original thread where discussion of the Pennsylvanian's repro boxes first started. In it, it was mentioned that the material was, "...ash or other suitable material.", and mention was also made of white oak. I will price it both in ash and white oak, and explore other options with the sawyer once I settle on one.

This seemed appropriate to include.

Edited by Big Al, 12 January 2019 - 11:18 PM.

#22 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:36 AM

Glad you were able to find it.  For the record I've never seen one in oak, but I've not seen more than a dozen in person and only have a couple here.   What I've seen is a light colored wood, little grain, pretty soft.  Could be ash or poplar?  Seems too soft and light for ash, but density and grain is regional for all wood species.  I assume they were made locally in the northeast near the plant somewhere so that will narrow down the wood.  Best of luck in your project!

#23 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:41 AM

It wouldnt be a bad thing if repos were made out of oak or another hard wood. Would help with the durability that plauged the original ones. It would also be nice so down the road someone wouldnt try to pass off a repo as an original. Look at the trouble there is now of trying to tell the difference between an original Thompson parts tin and the repos Gordon made.....just a thought

#24 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (obviously), firearms of all types, US militaria, knives and edged weapons, naval vessels, aircraft, playing music...the list goes on.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

The boxes will be marked internally to show that they are reproductions. The markings will consist of my name, the year of manufacture, and possibly some other information (as yet undetermined), burned into the insides of the pieces before assembly. As for the durability of the originals, the connection detail between the major pieces seems to be just 4d finish nails into the end grain. I am going to supplement that connection detail with some glue, and possibly a biscuit-type connection detail (which would be invisible from the outside) for added strength if I can figure out how to do that.

#25 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1921 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:42 PM

I would probably be in for one too.

Ron

#26 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 785 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

Glad you are thinking ahead as far as marking them

#27 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

This is how I am envisioning this will work more or less. Once I have the material for the boxes procured, I will figure the pricing. I will initially make a run of ten boxes. Once the run is complete, I will make a separate thread to release the pricing, detail payment particulars, and allow those interested to opt in and how many they want. From there, we will exchange addresses via PM. Once payment for the order is received, it will ship.

Sound good to everyone?

#28 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1921 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:58 PM

Sounds awesome.

Ron

#29 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group