• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allweaponsww2

allweaponsww2

• Regular Group
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:WW2 WEAPONS, Tommy gun

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:00 AM

Hello everyone! It is known that there were 2 main types of butt stocks for Mk 2 and Mk 3 - "skeleton" type and strut type. I have a question, were these variants produced in parallel? Is it true that Canadian STENs had only a "skeleton" type?
Thank!

Attached Files

Edited by allweaponsww2, 13 May 2020 - 03:31 PM.

#2 m3bobby

m3bobby

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:01 PM

So the butt STEN follows the following sequence (if I remember correctly).

Bar stock with wood inserts very early for Mk1
2 piece tube stock for Mk1 and Mk1*
T butt for early Mk2 and seen on the Mk3
Skeleton butt for late Mk2 and Mk3.
Wood butt for the Mk5 with plate steel or gun metal butt plate.

Interestingly, the abutment plate of the Mk1 2 piece stock was cast and these were later used on the T butt by grinding off the 2 mounting boss and welding the single tube to it. These are quite scarce if you find one.

Of course theres proper nomenclature for these butts but no one calls them by their numbers. And then theres the semi official or trial versions, the main thing is they are all interchangeable.

#3 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:53 PM

Actually there are several stocks of the loop type.  One holds a bayonet, one holds a cleaning rod, one is plain, one looks like the picture above with the vertical reinforcement.   Some have sling loops, some do not.  I'm not that well versed on T stock variations, but I'd guess there's a couple of those as well?  HTH

#4 m3bobby

m3bobby

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:43 AM

For the loop stocks, they are the same nomenclature. The Canadian version has the loop ends welded to the abutment plate but on the Lines Brothers variant, the ends are welded together and then that join is welded to the plate. The re-inforcing bar version isnt common and was dispensed with as not required. After all the idea was to simplify not add more work. The cleaning rod variation again is just the addition of clips, more superfluous parts.

The T stock variations are massive because of the different manufacturers but they all conform to the same pattern. The only difference Ive really seen is the use of Mk1 abutment plates on Mk2 butts by Unique and Unity (U&U).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: STEN Mk II, STEN Mk III