ERMCO BAR clone on GB

I really don’t have a need for another BAR, but the 50 or so BARs made by “Pony” Maples were very well made, as I had number B47 (I think that was the number). Maples made M2 .50 BMGs for the US (and also for Israel I believe) and they also were 1st class productions. In my opinion his guns were the equal to the WWI guns of Colt, Winchester, or Marlin-Rockwell, and the current bid amount seems very low. Perhaps many don’t recognize the name and are fearful of getting some “off brand” poor quality gun. They need not fear that at all.

I'd have to almost steal it but I'll try

Just tried, took it up to 18K. As expected that didn't meet the reserve but at least I drove out some of the lookie-loos.

I'll have to see how much higher it goes

Edited by StrangeRanger

I bought one new about 1984. I think I paid around $1,800 for it. I have shot a bunch of M.G.s and other guns. The BAR is one of , if not my all time favorite guns. I have compared my ERMCO to several WWII dealer sample BARs. I have never been able to see any difference.

I know it's a first rate piece and I expect it to go for something north of $25K. That may be a little too rich for my blood (or at least for my wallet) at present so someone else gets to do the heavy lifting. I'll monitor (pun intended) the auction and jump back in if I can.

I just hope that someone from this board snags it.

Jim,

18K isn't the only arrow in my quiver just the only one I was willing to spend at this point. Someone else gets to test the limit of the reserve price, then the real auction begins. I fully expect the final price to be more than I'm willing to spend but shame on me if I don't at least find out

I don't think I've ever seen an "aftermarket" A2 ever break 25k? Rare for any A2 to break 30K, even a C+R gun. Seems to be a glut of BAR's coming up at auction.......They can't all bring big money? They can however, all have high reserves!

Oddly RIA seems to be dumping catalogs to those long off their mailing list? Is it a sign? Or?

I hear that. My personal limit was going to be strained at $24K and I knew that was unlikely to be enough but a reserve price north of $27K seems a bit unrealistic. As a baseline a Marlin-Rockwell with a plugged barrel just went at auction for just under $30 including buyer's premium and tax so figure around $31K to get it running. A clone, no matter how good, should not bring the same sort of money.

His wife probably ordered him to sell the so he put it for with a ridicules reserve.

I notice it wasn't relisted. He was probably playing games.

About 6 months ago a seller from Ohio had such a gun listed for $80,000 for a long lime. Same story.

Jim C

Gun is back up on GB with minimum bid of $34,999 and Buy Now for $39,999. I guess the guy got in another fight with his wife when the gun didn't sell the first time. Either that or he's delusional. Nice gun, but not $39,999 nice. Not in today's market.

Couldn't get more than 28K out of it so he raises the price to 35K.

Brilliant...not

Maybe he should consider selling the wife and keeping the BAR :lol:

Edited by StrangeRanger

I've had stuff on my gun show tables at a bargin price because I had no need for it I've had them sit for several shows with no intrest . Bump the price up a hundred or two - sonic booms as it flies off the table . Makes no sense , but it's happened several times .

Chris

Happens all the time. The bargain-basement prices are interpreted as "junk;" raise the price a bit and it becomes "good used stuff." Same thing happened with some brand of Scotch whiskey, Cutty Sark IIRC. However gun show stuff is a tad different from asking $35K for a BAR clone, especially after the market for it had already been set at $27K. Remember that genuine Marlin-Rockwell with the plugged barrel that sold recently at Cowan's for $29.5K out the door? This guy's $35K starting price is beyond delusional. The $40K BIN price qualifies as "extremely aspirational."

Edited by StrangeRanger

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a nice BAR, but I'd say he's still 5 to 7k too high this year, but who knows? I have B0023 in similar shape.

• 2 weeks later...