I Just Bought this 1928A1 at Morphy Auctions

I needed a "beater" Thompson to shoot and not feel guilty about plus this rounds out my collection.

Have a nice 1921 Colt and a pair of M1A1s so was lacking a 1928A1

http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_N__Classic_Savage_Manufactured_Military_Model_192-LOT448404.aspx

The wood is kind of funky and I'd prefer an adjustable rear sight instead of the L .

Should I swap out the wood and rivet on a adjustable rear or just leave it alone ?

Also this is the SUPER RARE 1828 model ;)

Edited by lightguy

morphy1.JPG morphy2.JPGmorphy3.JPG

A lot of items there went about 30% less than I thought. List posted.I used 18% as BP if onsite, and 26% if proxibid.

Lightguy,

The gun appears to be original finish and looks like it has that "been there, done that" look. I would replace the rear grip, it looks like it has been painted or stained. The other wood is just "salty". That serial number range for a Savage gun would be correct with the "L" battle sight. I wouldn't mess with that. Nice purchase.

Original C+R IMI Uzi went for 42.5K plus premium or up to 52K.

I was going to "steal" that one as the pre-auction bid was 6K last night.

I was all in at 10K ;)

I think that Mauser broomhandle went too cheap at 18K (plus premium) but I was looking for other stuff. Probably the nicest auto broomhandle on the planet.

Lightguy,

The gun appears to be original finish and looks like it has that "been there, done that" look. I would replace the rear grip, it looks like it has been painted or stained. The other wood is just "salty". That serial number range for a Savage gun would be correct with the "L" battle sight. I wouldn't mess with that. Nice purchase.

Thanks.

I think bought it for a good price but not a great price

The buyer premium is now 20% since Morphy took over and 23% if by card

A grease gun m3 prototype went cheap at 23 in my opinion

and the bargain of the day was a new in box colt 9mm M16 and i think its the

second one made for 21,000!!

Edited by Grease Gunner

Thanks for the BP update, I was looking on Proxibid and they were 26% (!!!). I figured 5% for Proxibid + 3% for credit card (required on Proxibid) and the remaining 18% went to Morphy.

Either way, there were deals for sure. A Westie could be had in the $15K range. Lightguy - you did get a deal - I like the gun

And yes, I was very sad that the 1924 went so cheap... I have a 1924 that is consecutively serial numbered to that gun. There was a lot of confusion as the tripods were mixed up, and actual pictures of what you were bidding on did not really exist. All three original water cooled guns sold for $25K, the sideplate water cooled gun was less.

I did request a phone bid. Last time I snoozed - this time they just did not call me! I would have definitely jumped in at 20, not so sure at 25, and not when I had to give 26% BP on top of that. There were other issues with that gun - the tripod serial number was stamped on a blank repro plate with the correct number - but who ever did it left out the "C-" prefix. So you gotta question what really was there. Without a preview visit to the auction floor, I just couldn't go for it. I spoke with Dolf a few weeks ago at KCR and he still remembers welding that gun up and shooting the heck out of it!

Lightguy, I'm gonna go with Gijive on this gun. I know it was not your intent but that gun is collectable in it's own right. I'd swap out the wood (keeping the original of course) if you want and I'd surely shoot it but leave the metal alone.

Bob D

IMHO, swap the wood for your "shooter" you can always put the as purchased wood back on it. Like putting on nicer PC wood will make you shoot it more...right?

for a real war gun i dont think it looks bad at all.....use a bit of steel wool 0000 and oil and clean the rust off, refinish the wood to all matching and i like the gun.

i have never seen a beautiful ww2 1928a1...this one looks as good as any other ive seen.....id be happy to own it

i would not call this a beater at all....even if i owned a colt

what is the beater price paid for this gun?

for a real war gun i dont think it looks bad at all.....use a bit of steel wool 0000 and oil and clean the rust off, refinish the wood to all matching and i like the gun.

i have never seen a beautiful ww2 1928a1...this one looks as good as any other ive seen.....id be happy to own it

i would not call this a beater at all....even if i owned a colt

what is the beater price paid for this gun?

19K plus fees. probably 25%ish so 24K.

It looked nice to me and I wondered the same thing. I believe it was mid to upper 20s even before BP. I bought a nice stl pd gun for 35k. Hope I didnt mess up too bad!

Was there something wrong with the 1921AC that sold for 32.5k??? I mean, is that not like 10-15k less than one might for for a yeaer ago?

Was there something wrong with the 1921AC that sold for 32.5k??? I mean, is that not like 10-15k less than one might for for a yeaer ago?

I may be mis-remembering but IIRC, the written description said that it was refinished, and the Navy which also went for a fairly lowish price had the PD id no. electro-penciled on the receiver and frame. Feel free to correct me if need be.

I may be mis-remembering but IIRC, the written description said that it was refinished, and the Navy which also went for a fairly lowish price had the PD id no. electro-penciled on the receiver and frame. Feel free to correct me if need be.

post-110-0-51910300-1541002137_thumb.jpg

Have to remember when getting caught up in auction frenzy that its 32.5 x 1.25 = 40K ish.

A bargain is not always a bargain..

I watch ALL the NFA items and ocationally a few deals do come up. I bought a Valmet M82 for 8 grand a few auctions ago because it had a cracked stock. They ALL crack.

I was watching a real C+R Uzi that was about 7K the night before the auction. I was going to "steal it" for up to 20K.

Nope.

Others were aware of what it really was.

Went for 50K after premiums.

That near perfect magazine fed Mauser broom handle went too cheap at 18k x 1.25. Probably a 40K or more gun.

Should have bought it but was waiting on the UZIs.

Have to remember when getting caught up in auction frenzy that its 32.5 x 1.25 = 40K ish.

A bargain is not always a bargain..

I watch ALL the NFA items and ocationally a few deals do come up. I bought a Valmet M82 for 8 grand a few auctions ago because it had a cracked stock. They ALL crack.

I was watching a real C+R Uzi that was about 7K the night before the auction. I was going to "steal it" for up to 20K.

Nope.

Others were aware of what it really was.

Went for 50K after premiums.

That near perfect magazine fed Mauser broom handle went too cheap at 18k x 1.25. Probably a 40K or more gun.

Should have bought it but was waiting on the UZIs.

First page of the posted results, number 38, hammer at 27.5 +18% to the 32.5 approximate selling price. Too bad about the Uzi. 50k is strong for that one. I guess the lesson what you stated, do your best to "steal" at a great price when possible, as it seems that prices are perhaps starting to drop (?).

Thanks!

I was all in at 10K ;)

I think that Mauser broomhandle went too cheap at 18K (plus premium) but I was looking for other stuff. Probably the nicest auto broomhandle on the planet.

The sheet in the 2nd post from the top indicates the C&R Uzi went for $26,550 with the buyer premium. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Robert

I was all in at 10K ;)

The sheet in the 2nd post from the top indicates the C&R Uzi went for $26,550 with the buyer premium. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Robert

Both prices are correct. There were two C & R IMI Uzis at auction. I've no idea why they went for such disparate amounts.

MP

I was all in at 10K ;)

Robert

Both prices are correct. There were two C & R IMI Uzis at auction. I've no idea why they went for such disparate amounts.

MP

The cheaper one was listed wrong. It's supposedly a pre 86 dealer sample

I was all in at 10K ;)

Robert

MP

The cheaper one was listed wrong. It's supposedly a pre 86 dealer sample

Thank you. That's a logical explanation. MP