December 7th, 1941

I travel each week and going through Airports I often see Veterans and families. I try to thank each one for allowing me to live free and have the opportunities we enjoy. It takes very little time but seems to mean alot. Thanks to all the Veterans.

One other thought, evey American should get the opportunity to stand on the Arizona Memorial. It is a very moving experence and gives one a better appreciation for the sacrifices of the veterans.

Just my .02

A terrible day, much like September 11, 2001. Let's remember all the veterans who stood up to face the challenges to freedom, both past and present. Thank-you to all of America's veterans!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Cavediver: Thanks for thanking the vets. It's important. I stood on the Arizona monument in 1987. Sure is a quiet place, for all the right reasons. One of the interesting things I saw there were Japanese people crying; you don't ask why in a situation like that. When I was in Japan 3 weeks after being in Hawaii, I talked to several Japanese people that were still sorry for the aggression of their predecessors. I heard comments like "insane", "how did they think they could win?", etc. I also found out what it felt like to be a minority in a foreign country, but still welcome.

I'm not trying to touch off a political debate here; no words erase the horrible memories of that day. Just thought I'd toss in my small contribution. Next stop for me: Normandy! Gotta go there before I cash it in. Anybody on the board been there?

Ron

Haven't been to Normandy, but would like to go there one day. I have seen a bunch of horrible stuff in my lifetime and have been in harm's way on occasion, but I could not even begin to imagine what it must have been like to run out of one of those landing craft into a hail of withering fire like those guys did.

Yes, we should thank the vetrans for their sacrifices and remember the soldiers,sailors and aircrews that paid the ultimate price...Ron, i too have visted the Arizona memorial, it truly is a powerful memorial. It is truly sad that we have to remember something so terrible....I visited Normandy in 00' (by the way, when you are in France, try to visit the http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr/ in Samur it is an awesome tank museum) I was going to save some sand from the invasion beaches but i was distracted by the bunkers and what not..The worst thing was that it was my last day in Europe when i finally arrived in Normandy, so i did not get to visit the memorial there and visit our lost friends.......

John Jr,

Thanks for posting this remembrance on the board. I too have visited the Arizona Memorial, and was both humbled and awed. It is truly a reverent place. I hope to visit again in the next few years. It is interesting that the anniversary fell this year on Sunday, just like that fateful day. I wonder how often that has happened in the past 62 years.

Like others on the board, I still hope to visit Normandy some day, although I think I may lose it walking among the graves of so many of our brethren who gave their lives for our way of life.

Always say thanks to a vet, any vet. But particularly say thanks to those who fought in Vietnam. Whether you agree or disagree with how that war was handled, the guys on the ground put themselves in harms way under some pretty ugly conditions, and generally were shunned when they returned. One of the favorite pieces I have in my collection is a sidearm carried by a Ranger friend of mine in Vietnam. It isn't worth much monetarily, but he sacrificed both of his legs bringing it and himself back home.

Roger

i have also visited normandy(including the beaches) and it was truely moving. there are many extremely fascinating museums there and it is well worth it. i went with my grandfather about a year before he passed on as he was a firefighter in london during the blitz and he wanted to go there. thats where my interest in ww2 and eventually the thompson really came from.

prayers and thanks to all those lost. they will never be forgotten.