Got this Navy gun out of my vault and shot some jpegs of it recently. It shipped to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office in CA. in May of 1934. Note that is has a horizontal foregrip on it, marked S.B. CO. #8047. The serial number on the weapon is 10819. Buttstock is marked "SB. Co" as well as the grip. Weapon is also marked "S.B. CO." on the bottom of the receiver just behind the grip mount. Any RKI's have thoughts about the horizontal grip?

950127-1a.JPG

950127-1f.JPG

950127-1e.JPG

950127-1g.JPG

I was pretty sure it was a Colt grip. I only have two weapons (Colt's) that have horizontals, so not much to compare it to. No markings on the Colt grip (except for property tag). The grip next to it came off a WWII M1. It is marked with an "M". The Colt grip is more rounded and has a smoother internal finish. Note that the sling swivel inlet is not as deep as the WWII grip. Overall the weapon is pretty nice and was tastefully marked SBCO. Anyone know how rare a Colt horizontal grip is? Not sure if I posted this on the right section of the forum or not.

grip1.JPG

grip2.JPG

grip3.JPG

Edited by firearm

A great piece. I have an S.B. Co. marked Reising M50 and Winchester 94. Both are marked with the same stock brands and brass inventory # plaque.

jl7422,

It would be great if you could post photos of your S.B. Co. items and brass plaques here for comparison.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

In my opinion the grip is absolutely correct for a Colt Navy. Notice the sling swivel is offset to the right side. GI Jive - What is your opinion?

Yes, totally correct early horizontal grip made for the 1928 Navy Models offered in 1928. Correct Enfield swivel as well. Not so sure about the buttstock though, it has the later Springfield type swivel and base. May have gotten switched with another Savage gun. The buttstock hardware would have to be removed to make the determination if it is an original Colt/Remington buttstock.

• 2 weeks later...

May 11, 2004

Lance Pugmire Times Staff Writer

Floyd Tidwell, the former sheriff of San Bernardino County, pleaded guilty Monday to four felony counts of concealing stolen property as investigators said he took at least 523 guns from evidence rooms during his eight-year tenure.

During his terms, from 1983 to 1991, Tidwell would walk through evidence rooms "as if shopping, to take his pick of weapons," one sheriff's official said. Among the weapons was a military M-2 carbine, a fully automatic assault weapon banned under state and federal gun control laws.

Under a plea agreement with the San Bernardino County district attorney's office, Tidwell will pay a $10,000 fine and cooperate with investigators who are trying to recover the firearms. He will not serve any time in jail.

According to G.H. the three S.B.C.S.D. Colt TSMGs are on a Form 10 which doesn't make sense as there have been several subsequent private party owners for each Colt that the department legally sold/transferred. Interesting that two of the three Colt TSMGs purchased in 1934 by the S.B.C.S.D. were still in the department's armory during Sheriff Tidwell's tenure. Luckily for Nick, the Sheriff didn't appropriate #10819 for his private collection.

That the Colt has #8047 and the Winchester has #8795 signify that the department accounted for every piece of property in the station with a recorded number? They must have anticipated a sticky-fingered employee.

BTW: Agree with hawksnest and Chuck on the Colt horizontal wood.