Windtalkers

Did anyone else "jump" from the opening scene when it was very quiet and then he unloads that Thompson! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Norm

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif I did Norm !...I love the whole story, Thompson action,effort to get the right equipment right, the US tanks, specially made Jap 'Tankettes', artillery, and no damn long drawn out love story, it was great...!!!!

Why did it not get great praise in the press ??? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

One thing I admired about this movie (or those who made this movie) is that in almost every combat scene, everyone runs out of ammo quickly. It seems that this it how it was in WW2.

As soon as the ammo is gone, it came down to whoever could beat (or stab) the other to death.

It makes me wonder what WW2 vets really went through! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Norm

Hi Sarge,

Yep, B of B is great, lot of British actors as well showing how it should be done...Tom Hanks please take note!

Windtalkers is a good movie, would have been even better without that muppet man Cage in it though...he gets on my tits..

Nice acurate continuity with the weapons.

Early 28' with a drum, and when he goes back, late,r he's got a nice M1A1...

Don't see that type of care too much anymore.

Good flick, Zamm

Zamm,

Look again, when he goes back Cage's charecter has a late 28 not an M1A1. I like that movie, love it when he throws his empties in the front of his jacket. Never tried it, but think it would hurt if you had to take cover in a hurry and hit the dirt.

BB

I'm just glad that we have enjoyed WW II movies being "fashionable" for the past several years. My personal favorites are as follows.

Band of Brothers

Saving Private Ryan

When Trumpets Fade

Windtalkers

All of the above had great TSMG action as well as the BAR.

The Thin Red Line tried to be too PC as did Pearl Harbor...which I don't consider a war movie...just a chic flick in disguise.

Now for the pitch....

If Hollywood wants to make a great WW II film dealing with heroic sacrifice that most Americans are ignorant of today, then the book "The Last Battle Station" should be made into a film. This is the story of the USS Houston (CA 30) and the hopeless battle she fought against the Japanese Navy as a member of a thrown together Allied fleet in the early days of WW II. So much can be done with computers, recreating the Houston, a treaty class heavy cruiser would be a piece of cake.

The Houston, being the last allied capital ship afloat in the far east went down in the waters of Sunda Straight on 1 March 1942 with her guns going...some until they went under the surface. Many of the guns were firing star shells at the Japanese fleet as they had expended all other ammunition. She was cut off from retreat, and ringed with Japanese warships on all sides. Her Captain, Albert Rooks won the CMH posthumously for this action.

Sorry for getting a little off subject, but March 1 is Asiatic Fleet Remembrance Day...and America owes much to the Sailors and Marines of the Asiatic Fleet, who fought without any hope of reinforcement or escape. Truly brave men.

If nothing else, pick up this book and read it...you won't want to stop until it's finished.

C6

Hate to sound like an old curmudgeon, but Cage's shooting in Windtalkers kind of reminded me of the old westerns I used to see as a kid. The six shooters never ran out of ammo, and the good guys could make impossible shots, fanning their hammers, etc. Early on in Windtalkers, as I recall ,(been several months since I saw it) Cage fires his 28 w/L drum with one hand, and it's clearly shooting blanks. No recoil. Yes, it's compensated, but there should be SOME recoil. It's more like was waving a magic wand in the direction of the Japs, and a mowing a lot of them down.

Here's another one: "Hell in the Pacific" documentary has been showing lately, I believe on The History Channel. All in color, with lots of Thompson and BAR action. Very, very sobering footage. Makes you realize what those guys went through. One of my uncles went through both Guadacanal and the Phillipines (and made it!); he was a Sarge carrying a '28.