Photo

Questions about Breda 30 Correct Chambering (7mm vs 6.5).

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tricky9914

tricky9914

• Regular Group
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:14 PM

<p>Hello!<br />
So, I posted here several months ago that I got a transferable Breda 30. It is a Costa Rican contract firearm as noted on the receiver. It is also marked on the receiver as 7mm... On the form 3 it is listed as 7mm...</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Now, I just got around to getting it &quot;range ready&quot;... I discovered that the barrel and bolt are 6.5. This was a rewat so my assumption is the original 7mm barrel was plugged so the person who restored it just replaced the barrel and bolt with more readily-available 6.5 parts. The barrel was still packed in cosmoline, so I assume it was not fired. Question: is the conversion from 7mm to 6.5, just a barrel and bolt swap? Are there any other parts I should check? The gun does not have the oiler top cover, but I can apply oil by hand before loading.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks for the help!&nbsp;<br />
&nbsp;</p>

Edited by tricky9914, 06 February 2021 - 09:32 AM.

#2 BillyDixon

BillyDixon

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:31 PM

take it out and try it, then report back to us,, just sayn

#3 tricky9914

tricky9914

• Regular Group
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:57 PM

Honestly, I'd rather hear from someone who understands the weapon system first, so I don't blow up my gun... Or my face... just saying :-D 

#4 BillyDixon

BillyDixon

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 07:17 PM

this may be a case that no one has encountered before, so gun was a reactivated 7mm, useing a 6.5 bolt and 6.5 barrel , did the person you get it from ever shoot it ? did they tell you about the mix up parts when you bought it ?  just wondering not trying to heart your feelings,, i think about 100 of the 7mm were imported back in the 60s by sam commings , the s.n.s were all 2 or 3 digit, i had one in the 80s , it was welded up so heavy just sold off as a decorator,

#5 Black River Militaria CII

Black River Militaria CII

Industry Expert

• Regular Group
  • 1021 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:13 PM

I have a Costa Rican 7mm example as well as a 6.5 and will check to see the fit of the 6.5 barrel in the 7mm receiver. The rule of thumb with receivers built for a barrel of one caliber that can also accept barrels of a different caliber, is that the the different caliber barrel will not headspace correctly or actually lock in place. This prevents the different caliber barrel from actually being able to fire a round.

#6 tricky9914

tricky9914

• Regular Group
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for the response, Bob! I do have the original (numbers matching) bolt for the 7mm Breda. My assumption is the original barrel was plugged and welded to the gun. I did get a parts kit with it, so the parts kit (barrel and bolt) was likely used as a donor to the Costa Rican gun, leaving it in 6.5. Since the 7mm barrel was likely destroyed. The barrel is indeed a loose fit, but it does lock in place.

Do you happen to know of a source of 7mm Breda barrels?

Thanks again for your response and for testing your examples against this question.