Photo

What is use of two leather patches on M3 cover?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yohuang

yohuang

• Regular Group
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:25 PM

I got a M3 canvas cover. New production. It has two leather patches on its back. What is the function of those two patches?

Attached Files

#2 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1073 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:40 PM

Those were for reinforcing where the sling would come through so someone could carry it over there shoulder.

#3 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1073 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:41 PM

I have an original WWII version of that case and my leather was taken off. Still havent brought myself to have someone put new ones on.

#4 skoda

skoda

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:03 PM

Is it just me or does it seem foolish to encourage someone to carry an open bolt gun with a magazine in it like this case is doing? If you need to shoot it so fast that the time to get out a magazine and put it in the gun is too much then, I feel, you shouldn't have the gun in a case. The case should be for transportation. Worst case you include a slot or two for a magazine on the side of the case. It would also make the package much smaller.

#5 Bridgeport28A1

Bridgeport28A1

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1532 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:39 PM

Could the reinforced leather squares with a slit be for a some type of mechanized vehicle attachment points? WW2 Thompson canvas covers have leather tabs with snaps. WW2 M1 Carbine cases have a sewn in canvas strap on the outside.

#6 yohuang

yohuang

• Regular Group
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 05:59 PM

The book "US M3/M3A1 Submachine Gun" mentioned that it was used in vehicle, but did not show how ..

#7 ppgcowboy

ppgcowboy

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Guns, aviation, didgeridoo, banjo, metal detecting.

Posted 11 March 2021 - 01:07 PM

Is it just me or does it seem foolish to encourage someone to carry an open bolt gun with a magazine in it like this case is doing? If you need to shoot it so fast that the time to get out a magazine and put it in the gun is too much then, I feel, you shouldn't have the gun in a case. The case should be for transportation. Worst case you include a slot or two for a magazine on the side of the case. It would also make the package much smaller.

The bolt does not have to be open while in the case. Protection from the elements is not a bad thing.

#8 emmagee1917

emmagee1917

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2105 posts
  • Interests:All USGI WW2 firearms and acc.

Posted 11 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

The bolt does not have to be open while in the case. Protection from the elements is not a bad thing.

I think he is referring to carrying a mag in an open bolt gun with the bolt closed on an empty chamber . Dropping it on it's butt could cause the bolt to go to the rear far enough to feed and fire a round but not far enough to be caught by the sear . These fit the gun really tight so I would think friction on the cocking handle would prevent this from being a problem . I'd even bet your life on it   :rolleyes:

Chris

#9 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:"Easy money, faithless women, red-eye whiskey for the pain"

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:14 PM

When the ejection port door is closed on an M3/M3A1 the bolt is not going forward and if the case is even remotely close fitting the door could not be opened while the gun was cased

#10 skoda

skoda

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 04:58 PM

Seems that relying on the canvas cover to fit tight enough to keep the port 'door' cover closed well enough for the door tab to keep the bolt moving is still weak from a safety standpoint. Again, if you are so close to the enemy that you need a magazine in the gun then you probably shouldn't have it so tightly covered. Either a loose cover or none at all. But just my opinion.