I guess they don't build them like they used to ...

I have a plethora of rifles to choose from for hunting purposes. After sighing them all in before the deer season I selected my 122 year old Krag NRA carbine to tote to the woods ... It shot dead on at 200 yards during sight in with consistency. First day in the woods it dropped a nice mature 8 point buck with one shot right through the boiler at roughly 100 yards ... American made when they made 'em right.

post-260006-0-50973100-1606794756_thumb.jpg

Those shoot a .30-06 round don't they? Would love to have one of those, never looked for one but I imagine nice ones are pretty hard to find.

Those shoot a .30-06 round don't they? Would love to have one of those, never looked for one but I imagine nice ones are pretty hard to find.

30-40 Krag.

Yes, I'm aware that's the original caliber that they were made for but I thought most of them were later converted to accept the more common .30-06.

30-40 Krag.

Yes, I'm aware that's the original caliber that they were made for but I thought most of them were later converted to accept the more common .30-06.

I've never seen one in anything except for 30-40 Krag ... I don't think the magazine would be long enough for a 30-06.

Oldtrooper,

Congratulations on your successful deer hunt.

The Krag carbine and the M1 carbine are two military firearms that are perfect for civilian use without modification.

I recently bought a Krag carbine and its one slick handling rifle.

Jim C

PS you forgot to include pics of the buck.

Oldtrooper,

Congratulations on your successful deer hunt.

The Krag carbine and the M1 carbine are two military firearms that are perfect for civilian use without modification.

I recently bought a Krag carbine and its one slick handling rifle.

Jim C

PS you forgot to include pics of the buck.

Jim ... Here he is ... Thanks. Good thing I harvested him quickly ... At pushing 70 it isn't as fun to sit out in the cold as it used to be,

post-260006-0-52250900-1606940385_thumb.jpg

post-260006-0-59644400-1606940412_thumb.jpg

you wouldn't want to convert a 30-40 Krag to 30-06. besides the headaches of rebarreling, modifying the bolt for a rimless cartridge and stretching the magazine well out for the longer round, there is a major issue in that the bolt only has one locking lug and can't handle the much higher pressure of the 30-06. one day if you aren't lucky, the lug would crack or shear completely and potentially send bolt the right back into your forehead...

Bruce

That said....There are several wildcats off the Krag cartridge that have been made and used in the past (22 Krag, 6mm Krag, 25 Krag, 7mm Krag, 8mm Krag) that keep the pressures down while giving the options to shoot something other than 30-40 Krag if you desire.

Edited by bmdrake71

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Love my Krag as well even though I gave up hunting some time ago it is still a favorite rifle of mine. Just something about it. Maybe it's the "lunch box" magazine.