• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Scott Smith

Scott Smith

Long Time Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

I bought my first machine gun from Rob back in '87 when Just Guns was located down on South Lamar.  I had just transferred to Austin to work at the Austin Police Department and came directly from the Honolulu Police Department.  I left Honolulu on a Friday evening and the following Monday morning I was in Austin.

I bought a Fleming RR G3 from Rob.  I traded my HK 91, plus $700, for that weapon.  I did the purchase at lunch time and took the paperwork back to work with me.  I completed my Form 4 paperwork, got fingerprinted, and had mug shots taken at APD with the assistance of my captain.  He then made a call to Sheriff Doyne Bailey at the Travis County Sheriff's Office.  It seemed that Sheriff Bailey was a sergeant at APD prior to being elected Sheriff.  Sheriff Bailey and my captain had known each other for years.  I was told to go right over the TCSO, with my paperwork, and meet with the sheriff.

I met with Sheriff Bailey and we had a very nice conversation.  He signed my Form 4, in duplicate.  As I was getting ready to leave, he looked me straight in the eye and said "Go forth and do good."  With that, I thanked him and left.

When I got back to work, I told my captain what Sheriff Bailey had told me.  He then said that in addition to being Travis County's sheriff, Doyne Bailey was also an ordained minister.  Ain't that interesting?

Do you recall working with an APD officer named Alan Bridges back then? 

I bought a GMC Jimmy from Alan back in 1985 and still own it.  It was his "Colorado hunting truck.". 

When he retired from APD he joined the Hays County Sheriff's department as a Deputy and later was elected Sheriff.  He was a super nice guy.

#22 pstidan

pstidan

• Regular Group
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:21 AM

Sorry, but the name Alan Bridges doesn't ring a bell.  The captain I reported to was Kenny Williams.  Around '90 he was promoted to Assistant Chief and I lost track of him.  After his promotion, I reported to Pete Neal.  Both Kenny Williams and Pete Neal were great guys to work with.

#23 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4814 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

Dan,

Are you "Danny C?"

A close friend of mine who goes by "Trog" on this board, but rarely posts sent me the image below that was taken by the late George P., who was previously mentioned.  In the photo, "Trog," and "Endiana" are looking at a ZB-26 that Endiana ended up purchasing.  This was taken at the Congress Avenue location.

Attached File  PeterandMark_JustGuns.png   1.18MB   37 downloads

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#24 pstidan

pstidan

• Regular Group
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:13 AM

Sorry.  That's not me.  But, I do believe I did see the ZB at Rob's South Congress location.